Home U.S. Coin Forum

Rob's Phoenix ANA Money Show Report

Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2, 2023 10:04PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I went to the ANA National Money Show today in Phoenix, which is where I live. My brother lives in a loft downtown just a 10 min walk to the convention center, so I was able to park at his place for free which was nice. I was mainly looking for coins for my PCGS CAC 1st year type set (I like a challenge). I took a handful of coins that I had already upgraded or would like to upgrade, including a first year 1908 Indian $2.50 gold in AU58 but not CAC'd, that maybe I could trade or sell.

The show started with a few words from ANA President Ralph Ross, Executive Director Kim Kiick, and Director of the US Mint Ventris C. Gibson. President Ross then presented an award to Host Chair Gloria Conner, who is the president of my local coin club here in Phoenix.

ANA members were allowed in at 9:30, a half hour before the general public, and the crowd was lighter than I expected. I tried to say hi to Charmy, as she requested in my other post about the Phoenix show, but every time I did someone was engrossed in telling her a story and I didn't want to interrupt. I'll try again Saturday.

I didn't find many coins on my wantlist, mainly due to my limited budget. I'm more of a $500 per coin collector, and saw many coins that would fit my focus, but were many multiples of my price target. I stopped by CNP's booth and spoke with Lawrence Goldberg who was extremely nice. He had an upgrade to my 1908 Indian $2.50. Not CAC'd, but AU58+. I'm a sucker for + grades. His asking price was barely over Greysheet for an AU58. He politely turned down any chance of a trade, and I just wasn't sure I wanted to buy a duplicate so I left. A few minutes later I returned and told him I wanted it, and I would try to sell mine to another dealer. Well the dealer sitting next to him overheard, and I was able to make a deal with him for $75 less than I paid for the 58+. So I upgraded to the + for $75, not bad.

The only other coin I found for my collection was an 1866 Rays Shield Nickel in AU58 CAC from Phil at Eye Appealing Coins. Exactly what I was looking for in that coin, and the price quoted was right in the middle of the range I was expecting to pay. No negotiating needed. It goes well with the 1867 No Rays AU58 CAC I bought last month.

One dealer had a binder full of small vintage pinbacks. I saw a Santa and Batman that I had to have. It may have started a new side collection for me.

As I was leaving, I saw an 1840 Seated Dollar in AG3, not CAC'd but around the target price for me. Greysheet on it is $175, CPG is $228, and PCGS lists it at $300. PCGS prices are usually higher than market, but I was willing to pay full PCGS $300 for a coin on my want list. Maybe even 10% higher. I asked the price, and the dealer told me $465. I politely thanked her and handed it back. Man, I would really like to have it, and may go $350, but I think that would be an insulting offer when it's priced at $465.

I'm going back Saturday with my 11-year-old son @Azjedi. We'll be focusing on some of his album holes and MS64FBL Franklins. Oh, and stopping by Charmy's booth! Here's my purchases and an autograph from US Mint Director Gibson.

Comments

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report!

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report, sounds like you had a good time for sure.

• ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report. Wish I was there. Only 5hrs away but not able to leave town this week/end.
    I hope you and your son have fun on Saturday. Make those memories!

• alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭✭

Great report

• dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

First day coin show prices sometimes differ from last day show prices. ;)

Thanks for the report!

Dwayne Sessom
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rob9874 ... Thanks for an interesting report. Try making a bid for that 1840 Seated dollar... Nothing ventured, nothing gained.... Might come back with a counter offer you can stretch to. Hope you get it... Cheers, RickO

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report & love the nickel.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report, thanks for posting; and your coins and buying strategies are top notch!

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for an enjoyable read. I would make them an offer of the average of the last 3 sales of an AG3 and explain why? You never know. There is limited info on that particular grade. You have a great plan and target strategy.
    Thanks again.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Great report, thanks for posting; and your coins and buying strategies are top notch!

Thanks. I used to be an engineer, so I tend to overanalyze :smile:

@Rob9874 said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

@Rob9874 said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

Same here - maybe that's why I appreciate all the details LOL!

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • KliaoKliao Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report and nice pickups.

If the dealer with the seated dollar is still there tomorrow, I would try to see if they will move on the price. Doesn't hurt to ask. :)

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! Scoring an upgrade for $75 sounds like a great deal to me.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you really want to pay a premium for an AG3 Seated Dollar?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Do you really want to pay a premium for an AG3 Seated Dollar?

Great point. Maybe hold out for a fairly priced G4-VG8 in the same price range.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report. Thanks.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your report.

• mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good report & great pickups. That w/rays nickel especially is the kind of coin I just love.

mirabela
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice, i always liked the 5 cent shield nickel

Wow, fantastic second day report!

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,163 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like both you and your son had a great time today!!

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

A day with your son at a coin show! It does not get any better than that!

• Riley1955Riley1955 Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

Great report. I envy seeing you with your son. Mine has no interest in collecting anything. Can't go wrong with GOLD.

• DDRDDR Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great reports, thanks!

• kazkaz Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks for a great report, and all the photos!

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,163 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice results on your CAC submission, congrats. :)

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • flyguyflflyguyfl Posts: 126 ✭✭

@Rob9874 said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

I IS an engineer too. So I am the same as you when evaluation time rolls around.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file