Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Friday at the ANA Phx show

coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Arrived at the conference center around 10:30 am today, knew I wouldn't need to spend as much time today as I spent so much time yesterday scouring the bourse. My first task was to see some of the exhibits that I skipped over yesterday. In the very back of the bourse the ANA had a display called the museum showcase. In this display are some famous coins like one of the McDermott/Bebee 1913 V Nickel, the Idler/Bebee 1804 dollar, a display of three first year dimes, one 1943 copper cent, and a cool display of Zimbabwe inflation notes that should be of interest to a collector on the NGC forum.

With that checked off I was off to see about selling a few more duplicates to fund today's purchase, more on that later. I was able to sell three coins yesterday and had another three with me today and one that I would sell if I got the right offer.

Sold the first two right away, but the inexpensive common date coin was not getting much interest. I guess my expectations were a bit high for that one, my could sell coin got lots of interest but no offers that interested me so those two coins returned home. Went back to the two tables and verified that my target coins were still available, both were. Now the choice, which coin did I want more and also which one might be harder to locate again. Choice made I committed myself and bought this saint in a NGC 2.1 holder with CAC. This is a holder that I have been wanting for quite awhile and decided that this was the time to scratch that itch.

With my big ticket item secured I sat down to enjoy the sack lunch I brought with. While there I had the privilege of meeting up with forum member @Swampboy along with his wife and nephew. I very much enjoyed chatting with them and we had a little show and tell of both our purchases today.

Between yesterday and today I had a very successful and productive show. I hope that all the dealers did as well. Sorry for the long read.

My Lincoln Registry
My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 3, 2023 8:08PM

@Catbert said:
    Not too long a read. Interesting! I love saints, but wonder if I'll ever own one. So many other coin objectives.

Seems to be extremely nice for a 62, don't you think?

Do you typically collect older holders?

I think its very nice for a 62 myself, but I have little experience with saints, I have one raw AUish example in my capital plastic gold type set holder but that is the extent of my involvement with this type.

And yes I have long been a collector of old holders, if you check my sig line there is a link to my old holder set custom set on the NGC registry. I only wish that my NGC set would display more than just the NGC and PCGS holders in the set, I have almost twice as many more holders that cannot be viewed by visitors.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have expected a gold CAC on that Saint - congrats!

Looking forward to chatting with Swampboy next month at the Tukwilla show - good guy.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickup.

The early dimes in the display must’ve been amazing to see in person!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice gold.

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shocked that Saint doesn’t have a gold bean - looks like it could go 64 to me.

Thanks for the report!

• Options
    Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭

Nice report. Wish we could have met up.

• Options

Thanks everyone, the dealer I bought it from also thought it would get a gold bean, maybe I'll send it back for a second shot one day. ;)

@Rob9874 said:

Maybe that can happen at one of the local shows later this year. Rather a funny coincidence, one of the two coins that I had on my list for this show was also a shield with rays coin, I think you got the only one there. :D

My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭

@Rob9874 said:

Maybe that can happen at one of the local shows later this year. Rather a funny coincidence, one of the two coins that I had on my list for this show was also a shield with rays coin, I think you got the only one there. :D

Oh no, I feel bad! :D

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    Not too long a read. Interesting! I love saints, but wonder if I'll ever own one. So many other coin objectives.

Seems to be extremely nice for a 62, don't you think?

Do you typically collect older holders?

That Saint looks a lot better than a 62 and should have received a gold CAC sticker. Also, I love those early NGC no-line fatty slabs especially the ones with the hot-pressed gold logo. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf... Thanks for another interesting report. I really like that Saint... Looks better than a 62 to me as well. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2023 7:28AM

Really that NGC 62 CAC green Saint - think it should of gold beaned,

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice Saint pickup. I think it should have gotten gold for a 62 as well.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2023 1:37PM

Love the 43 bronze cent, congrats on your purchases

• Options
    SilverBlindSilverBlind Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the report. Congrats on the nice $20

BST References] oilstates2003, GoldCoin98, COINS MAKE CENTS, SurfinxHI, mbogoman, detroitfan2,
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report and coin!
    Gil is a great member here. I’d like to meet at a show someday. 👍

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report!!

I love the Saint and it's vintage holder.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ParadimeCoinsParadimeCoins Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

the 1797 is something!

ParadimeCoins.com PCGS NGC CAC InventorySign up for our exclusive NEWPs mailing list - Subscribe

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file