Home Sports Talk

If Patrick Mahomes retired today he would go into the Hall of Fame

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's fascinating, back in 2006, I was watching a Patriots game on CBS and I clearly remember Phil Simms was broadcasting the game, and he said "If Tom Brady retired today, he would go into the Hall of Fame", because he had already won 3 Super Bowls by that time. Well, Peyton Manning recently said if Patrick Mahomes retired right now, he would go into the Hall of Fame. It's fascinating that a player can have so much success, so quickly, that he could actually go into the Hall of Fame in only 5 or 6 years of playing.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's crazy to think, Brady actually had two Hall of Fame careers rolled into one.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2023 1:32PM

The guy that has had zero success in anything but the most ordinary of moments laughs at your question, and says, "If they've already decided that they're going to go ahead and put me in the HOF, regardless, then Mahomes is definitely in! Without a doubt Mahomes is already a HOFer! He actually wins! He's actually tough! Not a fake tough guy like me! He steps up in the big moments! Unlike me! If I was a quarterback, and it was first and goal, I'd just stand there for three straight snaps and take 3 sacks, and the analytic guys would be all over my jock because at least I didn't throw an interception! Mahomes is clutch! He has repeatedly willed his team to victory, and owns the heart of a champion!. Unlike me! "

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mahomes is a no-brainer HOF player right now. If he gets hit by a bus tomorrow, he goes in without a moment's hesitation.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd vote yes especially since Terrell Davis got in

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2023 8:02PM

@perkdog said:
    I'd vote yes especially since Terrell Davis got in

Interesting...I say that's interesting because you're implying that too short of a career can be a mitigating factor, even for someone so lauded.

Edited because my phone turned factor into factory. 🤷

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:
    The guy that has had zero success in anything but the most ordinary of moments laughs at your question, and says, "If they've already decided that they're going to go ahead and put me in the HOF, regardless, then Mahomes is definitely in! Without a doubt Mahomes is already a HOFer! He actually wins! He's actually tough! Not a fake tough guy like me! He steps up in the big moments! Unlike me! If I was a quarterback, and it was first and goal, I'd just stand there for three straight snaps and take 3 sacks, and the analytic guys would be all over my jock because at least I didn't throw an interception! Mahomes is clutch! He has repeatedly willed his team to victory, and owns the heart of a champion!. Unlike me! "

This post is hilarious................... Mahomes is indeed HOF right now, best QB I have ever seen and I am no KC Chief fan. Just tellin' it like it is. My all time fave is still Montana, and currently active qb's, it is Purdy and Herbert, but Mahomes trumps them all, them all, including Brady........................................

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as the Football Hall of fame does not have a ten year career requirement like baseball does, the answer is yes.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too soon, 5 years is not long enough. He hasn’t even broken Len Dawson’s team records yet and remember Len played when they didn’t throw near as much.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@Darin said:
    Too soon, 5 years is not long enough. He hasn’t even broken Len Dawson’s team records yet and remember Len played when they didn’t throw near as much.

He's already passed Len's touchdown record - in 113 fewer games. More Super Bowls. More MVPs. He's more accomplished, he just hasn't played as long. He'll break Len's yardage record this year.

• 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭

Absolutely yes.

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Patrick is already pointing towards the Hall of Fame... B)

@Tabe said:

@Darin said:

He's already passed Len's touchdown record - in 113 fewer games. More Super Bowls. More MVPs. He's more accomplished, he just hasn't played as long. He'll break Len's yardage record this year.

Tabe…. Dawson had 237 TD passes for Texans/Chiefs which is the same franchise so it’s the Chiefs record. Mahomes has 192 currently so isn’t there yet, how are you coming up with more TD’s for Patrick?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say yes he is in the HOF and we have yet to see just how many rings he will win.

Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

Sports: NHL & NFL

Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

edited February 28, 2023 11:55PM

@Darin said:
    Tabe…. Dawson had 237 TD passes for Texans/Chiefs which is the same franchise so it’s the Chiefs record. Mahomes has 192 currently so isn’t there yet, how are you coming up with more TD’s for Patrick?

Looking at INT column instead of TDs.

AKA "Tabe is dumb".

edited March 1, 2023 4:23AM

@Darin said:

I think your being a little "Don't want to be such a homer" ?

Maybe?

I agree that 5 years is not long enough but like I said if Davis can get in in such a short career so should Mahomes

Who had more of an impact on his team Mahomes or Davis?

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

Maybe?

I agree that 5 years is not long enough but like I said if Davis can get in in such a short career so should Mahomes

I didn’t realize Davis had such a short career. I guess based on that then Mahomes should be in after just 5 years. 😛

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

Maybe?

Davis is an RB who have notoriously short careers. No QB is getting in the HOF for 5 years without something tragic happening. QBs are expected to play for at least right around a decade to be worthy

edited March 8, 2023 7:52AM

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

Maybe?

Davis is an RB who have notoriously short careers. No QB is getting in the HOF for 5 years without something tragic happening. QBs are expected to play for at least right around a decade to be worthy

Davis effectively played for 4 seasons, those are his stats.

Any way you cut it it's not a HOF career in my opinion, Mahomes has had one of the fastest and greatest starts to a career than any other QB in decades, I do agree that he needs more years but comparing what he has done to what Davis did its an easy answer and that answer is yes he would be a HOF'er if he walked away right now, and he has 6 full seasons under his belt

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

Maybe?

Any way you cut it it's not a HOF career in my opinion, Mahomes has had one of the fastest and greatest starts to a career than any other QB in decades, I do agree that he needs more years but comparing what he has done to what Davis did its an easy answer and that answer is yes he would be a HOF'er if he walked away right now, and he has 6 full seasons under his belt

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

Maybe?

5 years isnt enough for me at any position, but if there was a position it would be it would be RB given that the average RB career is just over 2 years. Davis has no business in the HOF in my opinion especially given that that Denver line was full of super studs and it was plug and play for 1000+ yard backs. Baseball is guilty of this too where the HOFs have been the Hall of very good because of the god awful writers that get to vote.

The average HOF RB played 10 years, the average HOF QB played 13 years. I'm not wishing tragedy on Mahomes by any means, but the only way a QB gets in with 6 years is if his life was cut short in a tragic manner. 6 years is just simply not enough seasons for a QB to be HOF worthy. Steve Young would be the closest comparison for a short career and he was the primary starter for 9 years with several others as the backup to Montana

You also have to take into account that the game is just different now. The college game is being replicated in the NFL a lot more with wide open passing etc. Theres a monster class of QBs that will be entering the draft next year etc. Mahomes is the best right now, but by no means are the numbers hes putting up untouchable

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Greatest start to a career since Otto Graham. ;)

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph