Home Precious Metals

Gold so fine !!!

Has anyone ever seen gold so fine ?this dust dryed up on my napkin .wow .!!!

Comments

• OwlxOwlx Posts: 261 ✭✭

I'm talking dust particles does gold come in this forum of particles dust ??

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea why you have gold dust on your napkin - if it is gold dust. But yes, gold dust can be very fine. If you ever try panning for gold, you will see that. Cheers, RickO

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have posted a lot about your crushed quartz rocks and the pyrite you have found.

Take a very close look at this real gold dust. Can you see that the real gold is not found in small cube shapes, but small flat thin pieces. They do not flake off and get smaller when smashed like pyrite, but just get thinner and flatter.

Ok well this is at the the bottom of a baby food jar u can see the quarts still in it it doesn't wash out the gold pan with water non magnetic n doesn't scratch glass

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I have no idea why you have gold dust on your napkin - if it is gold dust. But yes, gold dust can be very fine. If you ever try panning for gold, you will see that. Cheers, RickO

Put a dime down for scale.

What's it look like under a microscope if you have one?

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed. Once refined: very fine. Like mud or dust.

The above photo looks to me like a gold precipitate. Something like this can be formed dissolving gold in aqua regia (hydrochloric acid and nitric acid in a 3:1 ratio by volume) and then adding sodium bisulfite to precipitate it out.

It might also be the precipitate from gold dissolved in sodium cyanide solution and then using powdered zinc to precipitate it out.

Either way, this is nothing that you will ever find out in the field as native gold, and it is not refined gold until this is also treated, mixed with flux, and melted at 1,948+ degrees Fahrenheit.

edited January 6, 2023 8:30AM

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@Goldminers said:
    The above photo looks to me like a gold precipitate. Something like this can be formed dissolving gold in aqua regia (hydrochloric acid and nitric acid in a 3:1 ratio by volume) and then adding sodium bisulfite to precipitate it out.

It might also be the precipitate from gold dissolved in sodium cyanide solution and then using powdered zinc to precipitate it out.

Either way, this is nothing that you will ever find out in the field as native gold, and it is not refined gold until this is also treated, mixed with flux, and melted at 1,948+ degrees Fahrenheit.

that is refined except for heating. i got a 3.5 ounce bar out of that, and sold it to the refinery for $4800 a couple years ago. it started out as 7 ounces of scrap jewelry. 10k, 14k, and 18k, along with dental gold.

i used electrolysis method as opposed to aqua regia. oh, and the guy at the refinery wondered how i got such purity. 24k.

Great result from the initial stages of refining (removing impurities). However, according to the Law Insider Dictionary, "Refined Gold means marketable metal bearing material in the form of physical gold bars or coins refined to standards meeting or exceeding 995 parts per 1,000 fine gold and that otherwise meets the LBMA Good Delivery Rules."

The fact that you stated "the guy at the refinery" indicates that this product you pictured is not yet refined gold by definition, until it is heated and is back to a salable metal as I stated.

Edited to add that this answer is mostly semantics. I was mostly trying to point out to the OP that his crushed pyrite dust is not going to look like this. Curious did you use Manhattan or Garfield to get the final product?

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes …. it wasn’t refined, in the photo, Goldminers. it was just “so fine” i had to share.

• VegasDanVegasDan Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

Yes!

edited February 23, 2023 3:31PM

@VegasDan said:

Yes!

What am I looking at Dan hard to tell in the pan, Were you hunting black sand?
    Did you bring your own water or is that supplied by mother nature?
    We had to go out and run off some claim jumpers.
    These guys said they were moving some dirt to make an access road to the east side.
    They were processing the dirt through a drywasher...not cool dude.
    Also found another place where they spent numerous days on a ravine.

We let them finish up the day and told to MOVE ON.
    These guys know better,said they couldn't see my corner markers DIDN'T know they were on someone's claim.
    Debatable?? Well they know now.
    I didn't confinscate what they found.
    Looks like I'll have to put up more claim signs on the road in on both sides.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rte592 ... You were very lenient with those claim jumpers... When I lived out west (AZ, CA), such activities were often met with very strong reactions.... up to and including violence. We were always very cautious when working the desert. Cheers, RickO

• SilverBlindSilverBlind Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Agreed. Once refined: very fine. Like mud or dust.

You sure thats not the topping for your apple crumb pie

BST References] oilstates2003, GoldCoin98, COINS MAKE CENTS, SurfinxHI, mbogoman, detroitfan2,

You talking bout this
    Softer then a popcorn pillow cloud .

I think Its brown gold

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

show us the assay....

----- kj

Owix
    if you want to send me some samples, I'll take a stab at panning it out and check the results.
    You need to put up some better pictures.
    Here is what's left of our last 2 clean ups.
    And here is the good stuff.

That's from 4 five gallon buckets of 1/4" classified material.

Im getting that much out of a
    of cup full

edited March 25, 2023 10:02AM

@Owlx said:
    Im getting that much out of a
    of cup full

I see your at the starting point.
    Now Refine all that gold paydirt and rocks down to the actually GOLD more like the blue pan pictured.
    Looks like you're using quality pans shouldn't take much more time getting to just the gold.
    I can say I have a really Rich claim.
    200 acres in our group.
    0.200 of a gram per yard on average Rich.
    Just have to get it out of the ground
    By Hand...

That nice

Well the is the Rock it came from looks like banded iron or banded rodium I wish !a
    abD this is wat happen wen I melted it
    With my torch !