Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

It's been years in the making: My "New" Old Green Holder PCGS Ike Registry

braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 29, 2024 12:33AM in PCGS Set Registry Forum

I knew years ago I couldn't compete with the top honors of the Ike basic set- Mintstate and Proofs in the higher echelons of grades and preservation. Instead, I sought to find each of these coins in the Old Green Holders. Some were somewhat easy to locate- like the S mint business strikes—others proved to be a bit more complicated, like the clad proofs.
Well, I finished the set this afternoon upon the arrival of the last coin and built this Registry.
It was fun as well as challenging without breaking the bank.
It'll never be a "top set" yet I've made peace with that conclusion and will enjoy being in 73rd place.
:)
https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/dollars/eisenhower-dollars-major-sets/eisenhower-dollars-basic-set-circulation-strikes-proof-1971-1978/publishedset/356821

Edited to add (01-28-2023):
I've upgraded four of these Ikes.

peacockcoins

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's a pretty dang cool set!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very, very cool!

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously a prime example of the stricter grading standards during the timeframe of the " old green holders ". Quite an accomplishment. Congratulations sir.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, guys.
    Some of these Ikes have the original Teletrade sticker on the back of the slabs. These were purchased back when Teletrade would send out newsprint catalogs of their auctions. Remember those? They would do telephone bidding on the day of the auction (usually in the afternoon).
    I can still hear the automated Teletrade voice prompting the lot number and then the bid.
    Ahhh. . . good times!

peacockcoins

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Around the same time as those telephone Teletrade bids was Numismatists Online. Remember them? An online auction platform that didn't last very long, perhaps a year, but was super-duper high tech back in 1993-1994!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2023 7:59AM

I remember my 11 digit teletrade number....

• JW77JW77 Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great Looking Set. I love the consistency of the OGHs. For me having one type of holder vs a mish mash of plastic makes the coins look that much better, not that your IKEs needed any help!

• SametsSamets Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

Looks great!

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations. Very nice set.

I looked at the photos of the coins in their slabs.

Very interesting to see that the grades are very uniform (MS64 on the clad circulation strikes, MS66 and 67 on the silver; and PF68DCAM on the proofs). Not a single coin in these three groupings that were graded at a "loftier" level (MS65 or above on the clad circulation strikes; MS68 and above on the silver; and PF69CAM or DCAM and above on the proofs).

I wonder what grades these coins would receive today if cracked out (with a few being conserved to remove haze and spots) and submitted raw for grading.

^
    Excellent points.
    I went for the best possible and didn't happen upon any in the grades you described.

Another somewhat interesting note:
    On many of these issues- especially so with the "S" mint silvers, Rattlers were more common than the
    green inserts I was seeking.
    I'd also note not too many of the clad proofs were graded back then as, really, they weren't worth much and
    clad proof sets could be had in bulk anytime, anyplace.
    PCGS charged more per coin back in 1990/1991 than they do today, so it was foolhardy to spend on getting common
    coins- such as these Ikes graded.
    Remember, too; these coins were only 15- twenty years old when graded and the grading of moderns was disdained amount some seasoned dealers/collectors.

peacockcoins

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing collection. Do you happen to know what year PCGS started grading the clad IKES?
    The July 2003 population report had less than 40K business strikes graded.

These Ikes were graded before the 2003 POP report (shown above).
    They are of the 3.1 generation.
    https://www.pcgs.com/holdermuseum/Gen3.1

If anyone has a POP report from 1998, that would be an accurate indication of the total population of Ikes graded during this time frame.

peacockcoins

• CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS has always graded Ikes, but very few modern coins were submitted for grading until the beginning of the Registry (2000). The oldest population report I have is from August 1988. I have one from March 1993, which is the end of the generation 3.0 slabs, but no more that show Ikes until July 2000. Total Mint State graded as of March 1993 were 10,029, with 3,266 proofs. By July 2000, the totals were 24,058 Mint State and 11,149 proofs. There are some very scarce Ikes in the pre- generation 3.1 green holders: 1972-P (25 in all grades), 1974-P (48 in all grades), 1971-P (55 in all grades), and 1978-P (57 in all grades). The 1971-D is the most common with 387 graded, the next most common is the 1976-D Type 2 at 194 graded.

Here is the Ike section from the August 1988 Population Report. As you can see, there was little interest in the clad coins (NO 1972-P's in any grade!).

Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • bob48bob48 Posts: 449 ✭✭✭

That is a very nice set. Congratulations

I also have completed the set in old/new holders.
    I spent 6 years searching for the right holder. I first thought it would be an easy set to complete.
    Had to make the set in Collectors Showcase/ Cameo Proofs
    But I needed to find the date with the correct PCGS coin number on each date.
    The set ended up with 56 different coins. If you just look at the 1976 date there are 14 different designations that PCGS assigns them, PDS, Type 1 & 2, Clad, Silver, CAM, DCAM, and no designation. And there are two errors in the set.

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/collectors-showcase/cameo-proofs/rjps-ike-dollar-ms-proof-cam-dcam-pcgs-coin-number-set/2281

Bob

• CBTL2CBTL2 Posts: 71 ✭✭

Nice work!

• This is the 72 Type 3 in the July 2003 pop report
    It was once a Pop 1 up until about 3-4 years ago
    Love those OGH Ike's

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pat, You are doing what collecting is all about. You are doing what it fun for you and not what someone is trying to sell you on. Great set and a lot of work on your part. B)

Upgrades added to this set.
    It'll never crack the top 50 as there are many dates were the top pops or even the second and third to the top pops were simply never graded 30+ years ago and thus not available today with the OGH.

peacockcoins

I deleted this set from the PCGS Registry as I have it now for sale.

peacockcoins