Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Newp 1892-S Morgan

anablepanablep Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a difficult date to find in higher grades and aside from a small rim ding, the coin seems to possess nice luster for an XF45, an upgrade from my circulated cameo CAC'd XF40. I should get the XF45 in-hand later this week from Harry Laibstain Rare Coins. Feel free to check it out, comment if you'd like, and as always, thanks for looking!

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne

Comments

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a pretty easy XF 45 to me. I'd think CAC would green bean it as it still seems to have enough breast feathers and aside from the one mark in the cheek area it seems to have avoided a lot of the chatter circulation can cause. Nice coin in my opinion.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, love this date. I bought one that was similar in appearance, very light cleaning and unfortunately tagged with "cleaned" which I see retrospectively. Many have a bit of rub, and I like your coin but wonder if there was a bit of rub on the cheek with possibly a bit of skin oil or such slightly oxidized & possibly to somewhat hide the marks there as the reverse is, as is often seen, nicer and the amount of luster in the surround indirectly support.
    Again, like your specific coin, but these years just saying to keep aware.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree, easy XF45 from circulation wear. Please post pics when you get the coin. Grade is when the date starts to get expensive and difficult to find 'A' coins that will upgrade. Easier to find 'C' coins for sale.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on your upgrade!

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    Congrats on your upgrade!

Is it really an upgrade to go from a CAC'd XF-40 to a non-CAC'd XF-45? Maybe? I can't tell you - I don't have any CAC'd coins (my collection isn't of this caliber). Now, if this XF-45 can get the green bean, then yes, it's a nice upgrade.

Regardless, @anablep - congrats on now having two beautiful 1892-S Morgans! I like the colors on this one. Could you show your CAC'd XF-40, for comparison? I'd love to see them both side-by-side, and maybe try to understand the difference in upgrade.

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin, tough date.
    Looks like a solid 45.
    Congrats on the addition/upgrade B)

Here is my 45 to compare.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a nice coin; you could check with Harry if he knows whether it has been to cac.

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Trueview image looks AU, so you did very well on that one! Tough enough to find a decent example of that date, and that's far beyond decent! Congrats!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks like a very nice coin... and likely get a green bean if that is important to you. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a really nice coin. CPG for XF45 is $94.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eric_Babula Here's a picture of the XF40 CAC replaced by the new 1892-S in XF45. I like the circulated cameo appearance of this coin, but I think the newer one is far better looking and might even be AU on a good day.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file