Home U.S. Coin Forum

Please! Please! Please!......

OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGD Coin Facts shows a value of $30 in MS65. Not sure where the Red Book got $2000 from. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2023 3:55PM

That's going to make for work for coin dealers.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Major typo!

All glory is fleeting.
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    PCGD Coin Facts shows a value of $30 in MS65. Not sure where the Red Book got $2000 from. :D

I think they forgot the decimal point after the first two digits.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

yours is not BRONZE

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

The very first Mega Red Book was pretty darn funny. There was a thread here that talked about a few of the entries.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over the past few months during my free time, I've been putting sticky labels with estimate values/prices on the back of some random slabs. I had this one in a box for years. I don't even remember where I got it. I had the red book sitting next to me, so I looked it up. For a second, I thought my greatest fear had come true... Have something significant in my collection and not know it! 😂

I knew it had to be a typo but I'd be lying if I said my heart didn't skip a beat! Who do I file an official complaint with for almost giving me a heart attack?? Mr. Whitman?? 😂 Reality hit home after a quick search of eBay and the PCGS price guide! 😂

Assuming the ANACS pop report is accurate and up to date... Surprisingly, this darn thing seems to be top pop in their pop report! There are tons of them listed on NGC and PCGS's pop reports!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• TrampTramp Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Must have missed the decimal point after the first two digits for all of them in MS-65. Whoever proof read before publishing didn't know coins obviously; they saw the doubled mint mark price for MS-65 with the comma and thought the others were wrongly priced at a few dollars and changed them all to thousands. Lol

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for pointing that out! And to think I paid only $15…

Smitten with DBLCs.

• robecrobec Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    yours is not BRONZE

The price guide isn’t showing Bronze prices, unless $8 is correct for MS63.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well 2021 had it right:

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wasn't that typo in the last edition as well? And it had the 2012 silver proof set priced as the rest didn't it?

Collector, occasional seller

@ChrisH821 said:
    Wasn't that typo in the last edition as well? And it had the 2012 silver proof set priced as the rest didn't it?

There's been a bunch of them.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

now we need to check more 2022 REDBOOKs to see if all of them show that, or just a few in the 'valuable collectible' version

That would make a great thread. "Post Typo's In Numismatic Publications"

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    Over the past few months during my free time, I've been putting sticky labels with estimate values/prices on the back of some random slabs. I had this one in a box for years. I don't even remember where I got it. I had the red book sitting next to me, so I looked it up. For a second, I thought my greatest fear had come true... Have something significant in my collection and not know it! 😂

I knew it had to be a typo but I'd be lying if I said my heart didn't skip a beat! Who do I file an official complaint with for almost giving me a heart attack?? Mr. Whitman?? 😂 Reality hit home after a quick search of eBay and the PCGS price guide! 😂

Assuming the ANACS pop report is accurate and up to date... Surprisingly, this darn thing seems to be top pop in their pop report! There are tons of them listed on NGC and PCGS's pop reports!

ANACS pop reports are a disaster. There will be multiple entries for that 1943 steel cent.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

@DelawareDoons said:

@OAKSTAR said:

ANACS pop reports are a disaster. There will be multiple entries for that 1943 steel cent.

Another typo in a numismatic publication? I hope they don't update their website, because right now I have the top pop in-hand. 👍🏻 😉

• 124Spider124Spider Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    now we need to check more 2022 REDBOOKs to see if all of them show that, or just a few in the 'valuable collectible' version

My 2022 Redbook shows the same values as OP's.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a two old rolls of '43 steel cents acquired many, many years ago. I have looked in one, and they are beautiful... I believe many would grade MS65 and some well above. Have not opened the other roll. They sure look nice when mint fresh. Cheers, RickO

• Riley1955Riley1955 Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

Here's my '23 Redbook.

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

Hey buddy, you have to much spare time on your hands. Give me a call @ BR549, I have some leafs you can gather up and inspect. Ha Ha :D

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

@JWP- Nothing like spending spare time with coins. 👍🏻 😂

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yours looks like the missing D variety.

@JWP- I just noticed this. I was in the Marine Corps with a guy that did 4 years in each branch. The last 4 were in the Marine Corps. He got out as a gunny.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, now you're telling me not to bother sending in my original roll for grading? Rats!

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file