Home Precious Metals

What is the best type of PM to put in a bugout bag

jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking a roll of 1/10 oz gold eagles.. Thoughts?

Comments

• MartinMartin Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Half ounce sized silver rounds or some 90% for small trades to go with the gold.

Martin

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some lead perhaps?

Truthfully, to me a bugout bag infers your want to get away from where there are lots of people.... so perhaps don't really need that much PM... who are you going to trade with? Do you have a 'haven' in mind with another group of like-minded individuals?

----- kj

If I was to have a bugout bag, and wanted to bring any PM with me, probably some US silver coinage.

If one is thinking of leaving the country... 1/10 ounce AGE might help.

----- kj
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Precious can and often does carry different meaning in various situations.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

most bang for the weight

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

007 had sovereigns in his bug-out briefcase.

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    most bang for the weight

That's the 5.56 vs 7.62 argument.
    Haha

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

There are two kinds of 'bug-out' situations that I can imagine relative to precious metal:
    Type 1: Some kind of natural disaster (or maybe industrial accident) that forces me to quickly leave home on short notice and be away for a long time, perhaps in austere conditions. For this, I want a few envelopes filled with $20 FRN notes, and would have no use for gold, or any other PM. In this case, I am not hiding/fleeing, I just can't go home for some reason. I would probably mainly keep using credit cards in this situation.
    Type 2: I have to for my life, probably forever, with little more than the clothes on my back. Maybe a war breaks out, or I am part of some ethnic group that is being rounded up, and survival means fleeing. In this case I want to have some gold in my pockets, so I carry wealth in a small space. I would have no use at all for silver (far too bulky) or even platinum (too obscure), I would only want gold which I could easily sell for near spot for cash for day-to-day use. I'd still want my $20 FRNs in this case, but a pocket full of gold would be really nice. Any gold that I could easily sell at about spot would work.

Type 2 is a lot less likely than Type 1, and I used to think it could never happen in the USA, but it does happen at times in the world and there is no real reason the USA should be immune. Type 1 is actually pretty likely in the long run.

I really cannot imagine making small trades with PM in these situations. Instead I would sell PM for cash and spend the cash. So silver would be completely absolutely useless in these cases, it is far too heavy and bulky per unit wealth to be useful on the run. Gold it would be, and no other metal.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man this place has gone so Kitco. Everyone knows to stick with the yellow metal for the bug out bunker bag. Lead won't get you much more than an early exit from life enema. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2023 6:37AM

I would not recommend this... :D

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Diversification is your friend. An assortment of denominations and some cash might be a pretty good idea. And a weapon or two. And nothing makes sense unless you are set up in your bugout location, long before you get there.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

People recognize gold. Werewolves fear silver. Zombies ?

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would I want bits of metal when I need food, medicine and ammo. One less trading partner for you I guess.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Canned beans.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

@Dave99B said:
    Canned beans.

Dave

Don't forget the butter. RGDS!

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

My bug out bag would consist of +p fmj ammo 9mm Luger and .308, knifes, Leatherman, paracord, small axe, hooks and leaders, a few lures, high calorie food items (MRE'S), magnesium stick with striker, hydrogen peroxide, household bleach, aspirin, vitamin C, a good multivitamin, mirror, magnifying glass, antibacterial ointment, compass and duct tape. These are items right off the top of my head, I could go a long way with the stuff listed.

3 drops of household bleach for every quart of relatively clean water let stand for 30 minutes then drink. If you don't have a dropper the end of a shoelace will work.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • HiBuckyHiBucky Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

WTF is a bugout bag??

A prepared survival bag, containing essentials in case one has to rapidly leave their home, etc., in case of disaster, invasion, you name it. It can be for a temporary relocation... or a permanent head for the hills. Whatever one thinks they need to be prepared for.

----- kj

Thus having food, items to defend ones self, whatever you may feel that you need to survive.

----- kj
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:
    My bug out bag would consist of +p fmj ammo 9mm Luger and .308, knifes, Leatherman, paracord, small axe, hooks and leaders, a few lures, high calorie food items (MRE'S), magnesium stick with striker, hydrogen peroxide, household bleach, aspirin, vitamin C, a good multivitamin, mirror, magnifying glass, antibacterial ointment, compass and duct tape. These are items right off the top of my head, I could go a long way with the stuff listed.

3 drops of household bleach for every quart of relatively clean water let stand for 30 minutes then drink. If you don't have a dropper the end of a shoelace will work.

I'm hanging out with you. I have accounting skills to trade :D

Daniel
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BaltimoreYankee said:

@morgansforever said:

I'm hanging out with you. I have accounting skills to trade :D

You would also be an emergency source of protein for morgansforever. :o;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

edited March 2, 2023 5:47PM

@HiBucky said:
    WTF is a bugout bag??

It's a bag that city chickens typically store in their doomsday bunkers. They wrap them in tinfoil and think the contents will one day save them from other city chickens, zombies, etc. Strange world! RGDS!!!

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@HiBucky said:
    WTF is a bugout bag??

It's a bag that city chickens typically store in their doomsday bunkers. They wrap them in tinfoil and think the contents will one day save them from other city chickens, zombies, etc. Strange world! RGDS!!!

It's a prepared bag of stuff to survive something that most won't survive because they won't live long enough to be there when such occurs. By then, cannibals will rule.

edited March 5, 2023 6:52PM

Yep.... and I still ask the question.... where do you 'bug out' to? In the majority of cases... leaving your known environment and running to some other place.... may put you in even more risky situations.

Bug out bags may be very helpful for a short term environmental or local situation.... good luck in an 'end of the world' situation though.

If you live in a city... and think you will be able to 'bug out' to the country.... the country areas already have plenty of locals living there, who own the property, etc. Do you think they are going to welcome you?

The best thing to put in your 'bug out' bag? Common Sense.

----- kj
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2023 1:24PM

@tincup: +++++1

All, excellent points. The locals are very likely to think, “who is this guy?”

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    @tincup: +++++1

All, excellent points. The locals are very likely to think, “who is this guy?”

Is there banjo music playing in the background? :o;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to a blog I read many many moons ago from a guy who was in the Yugoslavia civil war blockade of his town.... The single most important items(tied) that he carried were ammunition and BIC lighters. He could trade for anything he wanted.

Have a nice day

@streeter said:
    According to a blog I read many many moons ago from a guy who was in the Yugoslavia civil war blockade of his town.... The single most important items(tied) that he carried were ammunition and BIC lighters. He could trade for anything he wanted.

I can see both of those items being in demand. The ability to make a fire is essential.... and any firearm is useless without ammo.

----- kj

I finally went and googled bug out bag then I quickly realized I'm already completely bugged out. No bag needed.

P.S. If any of yous city chickens decide it's time to bug out in my neck of the woods....please it's probably best that you keep on bugging down the road. RGDS!

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

moth balls !