Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you bring to coin shows?

Eric_BabulaEric_Babula Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 17, 2023 3:56PM in U.S. Coin Forum

It seems that is has been about 20 years since this question has been asked/answered (or I missed more recent threads), so maybe some priorities have changed. I haven't been to a coin show in over 40 years, and hope to go to some.....eventually. To be honest, it's kinda intimidating. But, the thought of going to a coin show is also exciting!

For my first one, or few, I will probably not bring much of anything - just some cash.......in case I find something I "need". I plan to use the first one or two as a learning experience, more than anything. I'll wander, observe, listen, chat and learn.....and look at some coins and just maybe buy myself a present.

I had some thoughts on what I might want to bring with me, but then a number of questions also popped into my head:

1. Cash / credit card / check book.
    • I'm assuming Cash is still king. Yes?
    • Where do you keep your cash? Hidden fanny pack?
    • Do Dealers often take other forms of payment?
    • Are there any unwritten rules regarding payment (e.g. no credit card under $100)?
  2. Cell phone and charger cable.
    • I have apps for PayPal, Venmo, and Zelle, in case I don't have enough cash and Dealers would take those forms of payment.
    • I could also have my entire coin list and Want List on my phone.
    • Are there usually charging stations or available outlets (for the public to charge a phone)?
    • Do people bring cell phone charging bricks (heavy)?
  3. Comfortable shoes!
  4. Clothes with lots of pockets?
  5. Messenger bag (sling over shoulder).
    • I'm thinking this would be better/safer than a backpack, where you have to take it off (and could accidentally leave it somewhere), or might not notice someone behind you, unzipping and stealing. Thoughts?
  6. 5x lighted magnifier???
    • Do I even need a 5x magnifier (I have a Carson MiniBrite)? Or, do people just use the Magnifier app on their phones, now? Or, just take a quick picture with their cell phone and zoom in?
    • Do Dealers frown upon people taking pics of their coins?
  7. 10x B&L loupe (for details)???
    • Again, is this even needed w/ a cell phone?
  8. My Want List (w/ approx. prices for different grades, price bumps between grades, maybe mintages, key and semi-key dates). I already know this will be a futile exercise for me - see my sig line, below! I'm 90% sure I would go into a show with a nicely thought out Want List, and leave with absolutely NOTHING from that list!!!
    • Anything else you have in your Want List that is crucial?
    • Do people show their Want List to Dealers? (or maybe have a separate list, only indicating the coins they want w/o prices, etc.?)
    • I could just have pics on my cell phone of my Dansco 7070 album showing the empty slots. That would be a Want List of sorts that I could show a Dealer.
  9. Some coins I'd like to sell/trade?
    • How do you carry the coins you'd like to sell/trade? Raw coins? Slabbed coins?
    • Also, how do you carry (and keep separate from sell/trade coins) the coins you've purchased?
    • How do you approach the subject of selling/trading with a Dealer? Something I think I'm gonna have to witness a few times before being comfortable with that.
  10. Greysheet, or other price guide?
    • Is it bad form to bring out a Greysheet at a table?
  11. Book: Redbook, or ANA Grading Standards, or PCGS Grading Standards. Not for pricing - more for grading.
    • Which one? More than one?
    • Seems like this might be a no-no - like Dealers will KNOW you're a newb to be taken advantage of. Yes? No?
    • I feel that, for the most part, I'm fairly ok at grading, but could always use help if debating a coin's grade with someone.
  12. Book: Top 100 VAM Keys. Not sure if this would be worth it.
  13. Books: Cherrypicker's Guide Vol. 1 and 2.
    • Do Dealers get turned off or annoyed if you pull out these books?
    • Kinda heavy to carry around all day.
  14. Notepad and pens.
    • Or, I could just type notes on my phone.
  15. A couple energy bars and a bottle of water.
    • Is this allowed at shows?
  16. Laptop.
    • Do people bring laptops? I'm thinking not necessary. Although, I would have my coin software there, so my Have List and my Want List would be easily accessible. Also, I could just look up grading standards online. Also, could look up VAMs, or other coin varieties/errors. Also, could look up Greysheet and eBay completed auction pricing. Is there WiFi at shows? That would get rid of a number of the above items.

Ok, that's what I thought of for now. Whew! That list got way longer than I thought it would! As I was typing, I apparently started overthinking this whole thing! LOL!

What say you? What do you bring to coin shows?

What do you think of my list?

What is mandatory, and what is frivolous?

What am I missing?

Can you come and go during a coin show (e.g. to get something for lunch)? Or, is there always food for sale there?

Any unwritten (or written) rules or etiquette protocols I should be aware of?

And, yes, I know the #1 piece of advice should be to HAVE FUN!!!

TIA for any advice!

Rocking my "shiny-object-syndrome"!!!

Comments

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2023 4:06PM

Adding to Dan's comments.

Prepare for the show with researching the market data for the coins you are seeking. Then when you come across them, you will feel better about whether the coin fits your budget and whether the price is reasonable to you given it's condition and eye appeal. There is a greysheet app you can access on your phone (still need a subscription) that is very easy to use. This doesn't mean you can't consult the app while you're at the table, yet pre-research will save some time.

I like your idea of taking a photo of a coin and then blowing it up to see detail. Photos can be very revealing when the naked eye fails.

Of course you can exit the show and reenter.

Agree to wear comfortable shoes since you'll do a lot of walking, especially at the big shows.

Don't miss out on the seminars and exhibits at the shows. They are part of the experience.

You'll have a blast!

(edited to correct typo)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

1,4,6,8,9 and 14.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

In addition to the above, if you find a coin you like, ask "what do you need for this coin?"
    Be prepared to pass or play. Most coins we are looking for aren't rare. If it's priced too high and you're patient, chances are you'll find another just like it soon enough. And don't pay a strong premium for a coin unless it talks to you. Few of them do, but you'll know it when you see it.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭✭✭

Adding to @Catbert's comment that added to my comment, "Cell phone" for me included a picture the layout of the floor with table numbers and highlighted tables that I planned to visit. I also had my want list saved in an excel sheet on my phone, and when I price a coin I use my phone to look at price guides and comps. I start going crazy when I have too much crap in my pockets, so I actually had a backpack for all of the things I mentioned. Cash is definitely king, I wouldn't be surprised if many take different forms of electronic payment or a check if they know you but I brought more than enough cash with me last time. Some of the other things you mentioned can be left in the car and you can go grab them if you need them, and its definitely better to be over-prepared, but its up to you how much stuff you want to carry while you're walking all day.

• Options
    JW77JW77 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eric_Babula said:
    It seems that is has been about 20 years since this question has been asked/answered (or I missed more recent threads), so maybe some priorities have changed. I haven't been to a coin show in over 40 years, and hope to go to some.....eventually. To be honest, it's kinda intimidating. But, the thought of going to a coin show is also exciting!

* Where do you keep your cash? Hidden fanny pack?

First of all whatever you use to hide your stuff I would refrain from calling it a fanny pack!
    On a more serious note you should have the PCGS certification and PCGS COINfacts app loaded on your cell phone. The best reference tools you could use.

• Options

Glad you can take a joke @Eric_Babula. :D Haven't heard that term since Richard Simmons was a star!

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like you have most of it figured out. I usually ask if I can take a pic of a coin. Never been refused but I always ask.
    One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is a light.
    I bring a very bright, compact light. Most often used for shining into dealer cases. Lighting is usually horrible and if there is a coin hidden in the corner, I can cross most off my list and move on with the aid of the light.
    Sometimes I find something of interest. It saves me a lot of time and I use it more than anything at a show.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to a coin show Sunday. The only things I'll bring are my cell phone, always have it, cash, and items to donate to the Kid's Corner.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

@JW77 said:
    Glad you can take a joke @Eric_Babula. :D Haven't heard that term since Richard Simmons was a star!

But, you knew what I meant, right?? :p

• Options

@Flatwoods said:
    Sounds like you have most of it figured out. I usually ask if I can take a pic of a coin. Never been refused but I always ask.
    I bring a very bright, compact light. Most often used for shining into dealer cases. Lighting is usually horrible and if there is a coin hidden in the corner, I can cross most off my list and move on with the aid of the light.
    Sometimes I find something of interest. It saves me a lot of time and I use it more than anything at a show.

How about using your cell phone's light? Does that work?

Still wondering if a magnifier or loupe is even necessary, if you can just use your phone's Magnifier app or take a pic and zoom in.

• Options

@Eric_Babula said:

@JW77 said:

I'm packing my fanny pack now. What should I call it tomorrow?

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    Anyone take their wife? ;)

Isn't that like forgetting your money??? Going home with no newp.

• Options

@Eric_Babula said:

@Flatwoods said:

How about using your cell phone's light? Does that work?

Still wondering if a magnifier or loupe is even necessary, if you can just use your phone's Magnifier app or take a pic and zoom in.

I much prefer my flashlight. I can tell a lot about luster and color with it.

• Options

@Flatwoods said:

@Eric_Babula said:

@JW77 said:

I don't like Man Purse; how about a Money Pouch?

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrbrklyn said:
    My Wallet with about $200 and a Glass. Any purchase for more than that I sleep on it a few days ... It is hard to have fun at a show if your going to make yourself crazy. - Bring a date as well and a smile and a handshake.

And make sure you have a credit card theft blocking device in your wallet. I carry a "murse" at the coin show for keeping purchases in that I might make for myself and purchases my grandson might make for himself. Amazes me, as I look around at collectors inspecting coins at tables, how few use an inspection loupe. Mine hangs around my neck on a lanyard, always at the ready.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options

@JW77 said:

@Flatwoods said:

@Eric_Babula said:

@JW77 said:

I'm thinking I'll just refer to it as "The Vault" from now on. Sounds impressive.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

Never, otherwise I can't keep my purchases a secret; even worse she would be watching so, I could not buy anything. But I do love her so!

• Options

@Glen2022 said:

@PerryHall said:

you can take your wife or your girlfriend, certainly, but not both at the same time.

You don't get out much do you? :#

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good unique topic, OP! And so far, very helpful comments.
    Before I opened the thread, I thought “this is going to be a superb opening for a gun thread” but alas, it has stayed on topic….

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JW77 said:

@PerryHall said:

Never, otherwise I can't keep my purchases a secret; even worse she would be watching so, I could not buy anything. But I do love her so!

What she doesn't know can't hurt you. :o

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@JW77 said:

@Flatwoods said:

@Eric_Babula said:

@JW77 said:

Sling bag? I'm not really sure what they're called now-a-days!> @mr1874 said:

@mrbrklyn said:
    My Wallet with about $200 and a Glass. Any purchase for more than that I sleep on it a few days ... It is hard to have fun at a show if your going to make yourself crazy. - Bring a date as well and a smile and a handshake.

And make sure you have a credit card theft blocking device in your wallet. I carry a "murse" at the coin show for keeping purchases in that I might make for myself and purchases my grandson might make for himself. Amazes me, as I look around at collectors inspecting coins at tables, how few use an inspection loupe. Mine hangs around my neck on a lanyard, always at the ready.

Anyone care to comment on the magnifier/loupe vs using the magnifier app or a pic from your cell phone? I'm seriously wondering if anyone uses just the phone, rather than a magnifier/loupe, and whether it's just as good.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@JW77 said:

@PerryHall said:

What she doesn't know now she will probably find out.

• Options

@Flatwoods said:

@PerryHall said:

@JW77 said:

@PerryHall said:

What she doesn't know now she will probably find out.

:#

• Options

@Eric_Babula said:

@JW77 said:

@Flatwoods said:

@Eric_Babula said:

@JW77 said:

@mrbrklyn said:

Anyone care to comment on the magnifier/loupe vs using the magnifier app or a pic from your cell phone? I'm seriously wondering if anyone uses just the phone, rather than a magnifier/loupe, and whether it's just as good.

I use a magnifying glass instead of a loupe. I can tell what I need to with good light and a glass. I usually search for TrueViews though. NGC also has an excellent imaging service now. Some of the newer coins will show up.

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

Yep! That way if something happens to me she knows these are not meant for the vending machine.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,510 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2023 3:09AM

Does anyone here bring a concealed carry gun for self-defense purposes? Coin collectors and dealers are more and more frequently the target of coin robbers. :#

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    edited February 17, 2023 6:05PM

Some dealers don't mind cherrypickers, some do. Usually, you'll find out pretty quickly. Either way, don't spread out your reference material on the cases.

I have encountered dealers who assume I'm a cherry picker just because they see the loupe on a lanyard hanging around my neck. I cherry pick a little but I'm not obsessed with it. The loupe is just for a close-up look at the piece under consideration for purchase, dammit. Coin inspection 101-Use a loupe. A quality 10x loupe is powerful enough to ensure that one doesn't make a purchase that he or she will regret later.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1874 said:
    Some dealers don't mind cherrypickers, some do. Usually, you'll find out pretty quickly. Either way, don't spread out your reference material on the cases.

I have encountered dealers who assume I'm a cherry picker just because of the loupe on a lanyard hanging around my neck.

I'm not surprised. Dealers are just like collectors- they're people who often make assumptions. :)

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very little. I cannot buy anything since Dealers think their inventory is properly priced, often over bid. I will bring coins to sell at times just to see where they're at. I'll sell 10% back of bid but normally that's not offered. I do bring "Show and Tell" coins for some Dealer friends. Mostly just walk the floor looking, buy supplies then leave.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2023 6:19PM

One more thing. If you ladies carry a purse or you gentlemen carry a murse at the show NEVER just set it on the floor while looking at dealer offerings at the show. When I seat myself on a chair at a dealer's table, my murse, essentially a mini-briefcase, sits on my lap.

• Options

Usually 5k cash, a loupe, notebook, pen, iPhone

• Options

@Eric_Babula

I’m younger and I’m normally on the forefront of technology, but I much prefer quality glass over my cell phone for magnification.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

5.11 for your “tactical bags” people.
    Good for your weekly EMT or Security work then transitions well for the weekender shows.
    Bear spray is optional.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

@Eric_Babula said:

@JW77 said:

@Flatwoods said:

@Eric_Babula said:

@JW77 said:

@mrbrklyn said:

This is a test.

• Options

@DeplorableDan said:
    @Eric_Babula

I’m younger and I’m normally on the forefront of technology, but I much prefer quality glass over my cell phone for magnification.

Can you let me know why you prefer the glass? I was just doing a cursory test this evening, and it seems that my MagnifierPlus app with light on gets me a pretty good view of the coin. I can then take a snapshot of it, and blow it up. Or, just blow it up live and view.

I obviously have to play with the idea more, but I'm wondering why more people don't use the cell phone. Is it fear of technology, or just "the loupe is the way it's always been done"?

• Options

@MasonG said:

This is a test.

Test rec'd.

• Options

@Eric_Babula said:

@MasonG said:

This is a test.

Test rec'd.

Another poster had an issue replying to your comment (noted on a different thread) and I was just trying to help. Sorry- I should have given you more.

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been married and divorced twice, so has Linda (once for her though) and so we decided NOT to get married which was probably the key to our blissful relationship! My money is my money, and hers is hers. Anyway, we both collect coins (she is more into gold/silver) which makes the relationship even better. So, when we attend a show, we can spend as much or little as we please. I have been to a few large shows, but she has never been to a major one, so we plan to attend the PCGS Members Only show in New Orleans in May - if all goes well.

I usually do take maybe a few thousand in cash, but prefer using credit cards for tracking purposes. Also, being former law enforcement, I am always armed, except for when it's not permitted. In that case, I have other weapons such as pocket knife and/or pepper spray. Being security minded is just a part of my personality.

At the New Orleans show, I plan on bringing several National notes, and coins to be graded, and maybe a few coins that I can live without for sale or trade.

In summary, I will be bringing money, weapons, and women. (Ok, technically just one woman)

• Options

@Eric_Babula said:

@DeplorableDan said:
    @Eric_Babula

Can you let me know why you prefer the glass? I was just doing a cursory test this evening, and it seems that my MagnifierPlus app with light on gets me a pretty good view of the coin. I can then take a snapshot of it, and blow it up. Or, just blow it up live and view.

I obviously have to play with the idea more, but I'm wondering why more people don't use the cell phone. Is it fear of technology, or just "the loupe is the way it's always been done"?

When I get a chance, I’ll download the magnifierplus app for and see how how it compares to my loupe view. Normally, I just use the camera app and zoom in and the image ends up being too grainy to make a determination. Perhaps the app makes it better but I’ll have to compare them and get back to you.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

A bow tie helps in conveying trust worthiness to dealers. Seriously, even at small shows there is so much to see. The FUN, ANA, and even the Central States shows are huge! It's not the same experience as looking at coins in a coin shop. The best advice is to know what you are looking to see or buy and focus on finding those coins. If you are looking to buy, know what price range you are willing to pay. Photocopies of the PCGS price guide is a good starting point. If your wantlist is narrow, research what these coins are going for on-line. Best of all, have a good time.

• Options

@dsessom said:

In summary, I will be bringing money, weapons, and women. (Ok, technically just one woman)

Sir, I like how you roll. B)

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bring a small coin box with coins to sell, some cash, some snacks, a loupe. I find a dealer with coins I am interested in. Sell him some coins and then buy the ones I want from him. Many dealers do not care much for cherrypickers, they will usually let you know .

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never brought cash to a coin show. I'm a checkbook guy. How much of an issue are counterfeit $100 bills at coin shows?

• Options

@DeplorableDan said:

@Eric_Babula said:

@DeplorableDan said:
    @Eric_Babula

When I get a chance, I’ll download the magnifierplus app for and see how how it compares to my loupe view. Normally, I just use the camera app and zoom in and the image ends up being too grainy to make a determination. Perhaps the app makes it better but I’ll have to compare them and get back to you.

I'd love to hear your conclusions!

FYI - if it matters:
    - my 5x is a Carson MiniBrite LED Lighted (PO-55).
    - my 10x loupes are Anco and B&L.
    - my cell phone is a Samsung S9.
    - The app is Magnifier Plus - you can turn on your camera light to view the coin. You can zoom in/out. You can take a pic and zoom.

Thanks for checking it out and reporting back with your findings!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file