Home U.S. Coin Forum

What would you pay for this 1916d mercury dime?

PppPpp Posts: 487 ✭✭✭✭

I have an opportunity to buy this 1916d mercury dime graded by ngc as “good details bent”. The coin doesn’t look bent in the holder so I assume it is minor and I do not question the ngc grade.

What would be a fair buy/sell price for both of us? Note, if the coin wasn’t details grade I would have paid around $950- for it.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Comments

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure but I took a look at some comps on GC and I found details coins in the AG-G range selling over the past year between 500-1000, but some were uglier than others. The better looking ones that still had eye appeal were in upper end of that range

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat album coin.
    1K +/-

peacockcoins

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,173 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

I don't recall my password to Heritage...
    Mark, was I way off?

peacockcoins

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,173 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

I don't recall my password to Heritage...
    Mark, was I way off?

Pat, the one linked below brought $840 this past December. If I'd guessed without looking first, I probably would have estimated $600-$700.
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/mercury-dimes/dimes/1916-d-10c-bent-ngc-details-good-mintage-264-000-pcgs-4906-/a/132252-27225.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2023 1:30PM

@braddick said:
    Neat album coin.
    1K +/-

Defiantly high for a details coin, in the ballpark for a straight grade. As to what the op should pay that really depends on what he thinks his cliental will pay for a details coin.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

The only dime missing in my circulated Mercury set is the 1916-D.
    I'd love to purchase a GD04 (with the problem of being bent) for under $900.
    It's been a while since I was looking- perhaps it is worth another search.
    On a side note: I'd much rather have this GD04 (bent) than an FA02 with just a
    hint of the MM.

peacockcoins

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think these go for $800 on the low end.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    I would pass and buy a straight grade

Agree. Spend a few hundred more and get a straight graded coin. Don't buy a future problem.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the $800ish number is probably right.

For any details grade, it depends on how egregious the problem as well as how bothered the individual is by the problem.

For example, porosity is common in EAC and you can easily sell details coins in that market. But it gets harder as the distraction gets more serious.

I will readily buy a lightly cleaned Seated or Bust coin or a SLIGHTLY porous EAC but I just refuse to ever buy a tooled coin. Strictly personal choices.

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

$500, it’s a problem

• dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

$500 neighborhood, and I'd pop it right out of that plastic and stick it in an album.

Dwayne Sessom
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

How bent is it? I’m guessing the fat white NGC prongs make it hard to tell; thus, I advise you to be very conservative in your offer price.

• Eh just wait to buy one straight graded that’s what I’d do

Easier to resell and the couple hundred extra bucks won’t mean much in the long run

If you’re spending $900, spend $1400 you won’t regret it

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    I would pass and buy a straight grade

I'm with Dave on this.
    There are far too many examples of this date available to settle for a problem.

When in doubt, don't.
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    Couple of pieces of thick leather and a mallet.
    ::WHAM::!!
    No more bent coin (if it's done right).

Even if straightened, will probably always be a details coin. The reverse has too much wear at 3 and 9 o'clock and what about the rim damage at 12 o'clock.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

As they say in Texas ................El Paso.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2023 6:23PM

I am not a buyer of problem coins. A problem coin dealer would be the place to go for an answer. The offer would be considerably below straight graded money. This material usually sells to people who crack them to put in their album.

Coins & Currency
  • OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ppp said:

At the moment, I would not even consider this coin. I'm currently in the market for a straight graded G4 in an old ANACS soap bar slab.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

I consider "bent" to be a severe defect.

I expect G's to not have lettering worn into the rims.

Tempus fugit.
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    I am not a buyer of problem coins. A problem coin dealer would be the place to go for an answer. The offer would be considerably below straight graded money. This material usually sells to people who crack them to put in their album.

Or crack it and try to make a few hundred profit off someone who doesn't check it for bent. With the bend the piece is worth half or less than a straight-graded piece, in my opinion. If I was in the market for a '16-D, I would pass on a problem piece like this.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cladking said:
    I consider "bent" to be a severe defect.

I expect G's to not have lettering worn into the rims.

If you go by PCGS grading, you'd need to be looking for VGs.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2023 7:27PM

About 10-12 years ago - A problem dealer setup next to me sold a problem coin for $3600 if I recall correctly on a sat. This was considerably below CW trends. He definitely needed the money as he had a heart condition, had to stop and rest on drive down, and could not carry coin cases he said. On sun he turned to me said he worried guy might come back for refund. Asked what I would do. I told him heck no as I had told a coin club guy and 2 of his buddies shove it (sight seen sales final) when one of them tried return a scarce NBN bought for $300. Some bozo dealer who just did junk said it worth less. So I faced down 3 of them. I then went over to that dealers table told him stuff it - bug off from my biz. This is Texas.

Irregardless of where stand up for yourself and face down those trying take food off your table.

Coins & Currency
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

When it comes time to sell, it will be harder to sell than a straight graded coin.

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@Ppp said:

At the moment, I would not even consider this coin. I'm currently in the market for a straight graded G4 in an old ANACS soap bar slab.

Not sure if you would be interested. But, in the event you are Dave Kahn has a VG8 in an old ANACS holder.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

@No Headlights said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Ppp said:

Not sure if you would be interested. But, in the event you are Dave Kahn has a VG8 in an old ANACS holder.

As soon as I saw VG8, I'm thinking .........out of my price range. Thanks very much for thinking of me though! 👍🏻 I'll check out his page.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2023 9:27PM

16-D Mercs are very common at this level of wear. Just pass unless heavily discounted.

The clearly bent reverse would bother me quite a bit.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

Expensive for an album coin, but apparently in high enough demand to support a price not severely discounted from a problem free coin.

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dealer who knows what he is doing is impossible to get a bent coin by. He doesn't even have to remove from cardboard holder. Just see if suspicious coin rocks or not, even ever so slightly on a flat surface. Also a previously bent coin will have tell-tale surface irregularity if someone pounded on it or bent it in a vise to make it appear that it has always been flat. Bent coin is a problem coin. Collector should ALWAYS save his money for coin that has not been or is not bent. Put that bent key date coin in an album with the hope of getting dealer to buy the album of coins from you at a handsome price thinking he won't detect the bent key? Forget it.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the kind of coin that a collector on a very tight budget will buy, crack-out, and then fill that last hole in his coin album completing his Mercury dime set and thus fulfilling his dream.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 420 ✭✭✭

$400

• PppPpp Posts: 487 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you everyone for your comments.
    Normally, I do not buy problem coins. In this case I was thinking if I am able to buy the coin at a fair price I would put it in my album to replace my current slab place holder but your comments got me thinking, which is good. 🤔

I have a complete Mercury dime book however my current 1916d, 1942/41, and 1942/41d are slabbed. I was thinking of getting decent looking low grade slabbed versions of these dates to crack out and just to fill the book. In this case the date and mint mark are strong which I like.

I always liked books that are complete with coins not place holders referring to slabs.

In the end do I pay maybe $500- for a problem coin like this or maybe $1,000+ for a straight grade g4 with a strong date and mint mark.
    Knowing me if I can get it for $500- I will buy it because I couldn’t bring myself to crack open a straight grade g4 for my book.

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

Attractive coin for the details status.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass as you can buy a nice AG3 for under $800.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ppp ... Good luck with your choice.... I can see it as an album coin. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file