Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Working on a set of MS V nickels

dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been working on a set of mint state Liberty V nickels - mostly MS64, and what I primarily look at is the strike. So many V nickels are weakly struck with flat stars, and flat corn ears on the reverse. So, I thought it would be more of a challenge to find perfect or nearly perfectly struck coins, and I was correct. It's been a challenge finding very well struck examples, but I am about 64% complete so far, having acquired 21 of 33 so far in the set. 12 more and it will be complete!

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/nickels/liberty-nickels-major-sets/liberty-nickels-basic-set-circulation-strikes-1883-1912/imagegallery/71874

Comments

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite set. Been working on them for more than 20 years now.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • drddmdrddm Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking set you have there, @dsessom !

I see some of my coins (at least from what I can recall) in there....1896, 1912-D and 1912-S.
    I know when I was putting together my MS64 set years ago, I, too, looked for examples with a great strike, not to mention excellent eye appeal as well.

Love your 1885 @erwindoc ....happy to see you kept it. I was quite picky when I was looking for a PQ example of this date, and it definitely paid off. It took me awhile to find it.

Enjoy the hunt fellas....such a fun set to put together!

Dave

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dsessom Here is one I added several months ago. Looks very similar to your nickel you posted above!

• dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@drddm said:
    Great looking set you have there, @dsessom !

I see some of my coins (at least from what I can recall) in there....1896, 1912-D and 1912-S.
    I know when I was putting together my MS64 set years ago, I, too, looked for examples with a great strike, not to mention excellent eye appeal as well.

Love your 1885 @erwindoc ....happy to see you kept it. I was quite picky when I was looking for a PQ example of this date, and it definitely paid off. It took me awhile to find it.

Enjoy the hunt fellas....such a fun set to put together!

Dave

Thank you Dave! Yes sir, quite a few are from your old set. I guess I have been working on the set for about 5 years, give or take.

@erwindoc said:
    @dsessom Here is one I added several months ago. Looks very similar to your nickel you posted above!

I love that look. That is a beautiful coin!

@erwindoc said:
    Great collection! When I assembled my set, that was my goal as well. Unfortunately, I had to settle on a few. Now, I am in the process of rebuilding it after selling off the non-key pieces. Love your 12S!

Here is one I kept!

Good grief, that is probably the best example of the '85 I have ever seen! And I am not surprised that it was in Dave's collection originally - as that's where many of my coins came from and Dave has a great eye.

I will hopefully be able to afford the other key dates this year, as I finally paid off my Corvette. LOL

@erwindoc said:

Do you have a set registry? If so, can I get a link to it?

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dsessom said:

@erwindoc said:

Do you have a set registry? If so, can I get a link to it?

It is linked below. I keep it ATS so I can use coins from both companies.

https://ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/133691/

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous Liberty nickels posted in this thread.

I only have this one.

It is nice, but pales in comparisons to the nickels posted above.

I'm now at 76% complete. 25 acquired, and 8 more to go including 1885 and 1886.

I added these in the past few months: