Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hobo Nickel question

VetterVetter Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could anyone tell me if this is an original Hobo nickel or a modern one? I find the carving interesting in the way the jacket curves around the back of the neck and it looks like there may have been some kind of stone at the shirts top button. There is a small hole and small lines to show it off. Also I believe this to be on a 1913-1915 because it looks like it had weak Liberty, unlike 1916 and later when they made it more bold. Anyway, there’s a good bit of metal that was moved to make this. What’s your opinion?

Members I have done business with:
Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.

Comments

• Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭

Passes the eye test for me. Or else it’s a great job of forgery. I think it’s the former because of the “look.” I like the errror on the hat line that shows it was carved by someone who didn’t necessarily need to make it perfect. The lines off the “stone” are showing the radiance of a diamond stick pin.

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably original.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am certainly not an expert on Hobo nickels, though I have admired them for years. However, on this one, I would vote original.... Nicely done and no extra artist flairs.... @Vetter... Great find, where did you get it?? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

I would lean more towards original than modern. I like the collar with the accented button, if it would be a modern example someone has an excellent talent to make this appear to being done a long time ago. Great looking Hobo Nickel. Let us know if you do find anything more about this piece. Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote yes.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a real one (not modern). Anything you want to know about Hobo nickels can probably be found here:

hobonickels.org/

Quick ID guide: hobonickels.org/quick_id.html

• Options
    VetterVetter Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I am certainly not an expert on Hobo nickels, though I have admired them for years. However, on this one, I would vote original.... Nicely done and no extra artist flairs.... @Vetter... Great find, where did you get it?? Cheers, RickO

I picked it up from eBay for $71. It seemed like a good price to me. Thanks!

Members I have done business with:
    Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.
  • Options
    Picker1954Picker1954 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

I have one that has a similar "diamond" stick pin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file