Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Young Numismatists and So-Called Dollars! The Future is at Jeff Shevlin's Table at Long Beach!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 4, 2023 9:19AM in U.S. Coin Forum

One of the reasons I love So-Called Dollars is that they are a great gateway to learn about our history as they discuss and commemorate various events of our history. As such are a very close reminder to what life was like back then and how far we've come. There is also great variety and a lot of visual appeal.

Recently we've heard about Young Numismatists on Instagram, at Witter University, and at the Bass sale at FUN. Wouldn't it be great if YNs were also interested in So-Called Dollars?

Well, here they are at Jeff's table at Long Beach right now! Jeff shared this photo of happy YNs at his table with me. I still remember being a Cub Scout and what great experience to learn about So-Called Dollars and our history.

If you are at Long Beach, feel free to stop by, say hi to Jeff and Bill Hyder, check out So-Called Dollars, and inspire future collectors!

And of course we need So-Called Dollars in this thread. Here's a newp to go with the a silver plated HK-155 and an HK-897 from Jeff. Still need photos of the others which I'll get to post.

Comments

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr_Spud

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s great to see the really Young Numismatists enjoying the coin show and learning early in life.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options

@Mr_Spud said:

Love your So-Calleds @Mr_Spud! They are all great, but I'm especially fond of George Morgan's work on the Alaska Yukon Pacific Expo medal, the Montana PPIE Dollar and the Official Medal of the US Centennial!

Here's my Centennial medal:

• Options

@Byers said:
    It’s great to see the really Young Numismatists enjoying the coin show and learning early in life.

I agree! I hope they really get into our American history, understanding what America was like during the events these medals commemorate, like these World War Victory Medals.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins.... Thanks for that great picture. Those kids were really in to it.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post, John! I love seeing kids involved in coins, and they appear to be really interested.
    And I agree that so called dollars and commemorative coins can be a great way to connect coins with our history.
    Are you at the show? Did you take this photo?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    edited February 5, 2023 2:24PM

@DCW said:
    Great post, John! I love seeing kids involved in coins, and they appear to be really interested.

Yeah, it's important to expose kids to many hobbies to see which ones stick, both early on and later.

And I agree that so called dollars and commemorative coins can be a great way to connect coins with our history.

It's really interesting to think about the progress the country has made. I really like the 1876 Centennial and 1933 Century of Progress pieces which demonstrate progress and what amazing strides have been made.

I really like pieces that have context. Tokens like Civil War Tokens, Post Exchange Tokens, and others have great context as well. Territorial Gold is another place that comes to mind for this.

Are you at the show? Did you take this photo?

The photo is from Jeff which I've added to the OP. I'm not there but we're chatting about LB now and it seems like and exciting show!

Here's one with a great Centennial message which I picked up from Jeff! So this is pedigreed to Garrett-Shevlin-Zoins :)

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's hard to not like Jeff :smiley:
    Yes, I bought it :blush:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread- this is really wonderful to see- a Kodak moment

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭

I was at Long Beach on Saturday and were quite a few kids running around. Maybe it was because there was no school. It looked like they were having a good time. Many of the dealers handed out various items for the kids.

• Options
    edited February 5, 2023 2:29PM

@Maywood said:
    Funny, while that young girl mugs for the camera the boy next to her looks to be checking the price guide to compare it with auction sales and his want list!! :p

Also wanted to say that I love your So-Called Dollars @Maywood! I'm a big fan of both of those and the New York theme. The buffalo, Trylon, and Perisphere are all great!

• Options

@Kurisu said:
    It's hard to not like Jeff :smiley:
    Yes, I bought it :blush:

Jeff looks great and congrats for picking up the book!

• Options

@Glen2022 said:
    I was at Long Beach on Saturday and were quite a few kids running around. Maybe it was because there was no school. It looked like they were having a good time. Many of the dealers handed out various items for the kids.

It's great to have things for the kids. Jeff gave pocket price guides to all the kids!

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said: I'm a big fan of both of those and the New York theme.

New York State has a vast number of medals and coins commemorating events or historic dates that are well designed and very attractive. I have quite a few and have sold many of my favorites over the years, a bad move in retrospect.

• Options
    edited February 6, 2023 8:59AM

@Maywood said:
    @Zoins said: I'm a big fan of both of those and the New York theme.

New York State has a vast number of medals and coins commemorating events or historic dates that are well designed and very attractive. I have quite a few and have sold many of my favorites over the years, a bad move in retrospect.

It can be tough to get really nice ones. I believe I remember some really nice Albany Bicentennial pieces, including some very attractive bronze ones.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Pioneer1Pioneer1 Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

@Maywood said:

Fabulous SCD !

A So-Called Dollar and Slug Collector... Previously "Pioneer" on this site...

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    Here’s Daisy the happy cow😊

These are rated R5 I believe but seems so fricking hard to find nice unmolested examples. Yours is outstanding.
    Great color. I finally was able to pick up the other example that goes with yours. I hope to find one soon.

Here’s my HK464

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cute kids !
    That looks like a lot of fun ......

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a 5.5-ounce .999 silver National Commemorative Medal I just got back from grading. Glad to see the kids looking at medals, as there are so many to get excited about. The reverse is pictured sideways. The sun is supposed to be on top with evergreen trees represented on the sides and Spokane Falls at the bottom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file