Home Precious Metals
Options

How liquid are gold medals?

inkdiverinkdiver Posts: 54 ✭✭
edited February 5, 2023 8:02PM in Precious Metals

I recently got this gold medal at spot/melt price. It's a 100th anniversary of the German company Schering (made in 1971). It's 10.5 grams and .900 gold purity. It's not seen to often for sale. Although it looks like a coin, but technically it's not, it was made privately and not by a government since it does not have legal tender. Therefore, mintages/amounts made are unknown. However, it was probably made in low quantities if I had to guess.

When deciding to sell it, how liquid/easy is a gold medal to sell? I would be have no issue at selling it also at melt/spot price.

I am a long-term holder of gold. Hence, I would probably sell in at least ten or more years. But, just curious how easily it would be to sell later on.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭✭

To a dealer for instant cash you would be back of melt a bit to sell to to a price at person you might get melt + a little.
    If their is a collector base for it then I don’t know what it would be worth

Martin

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

My concern would be the actual gold content since it's privately manufactured and doesn't look like 90% gold. Is it painted? I see 900 for fineness on one side. Is it hallmarked 10.5g Au also?

Someone would need to test it for weight/purity. Not a big deal but not the most liquid physical gold either, that's for sure.

• Options

@VanHalen said:
    My concern would be the actual gold content since it's privately manufactured and doesn't look like 90% gold. Is it painted? I see 900 for fineness on one side. Is it hallmarked 10.5g Au also?

Someone would need to test it for weight/purity. Not a big deal but not the most liquid physical gold either, that's for sure.

It only has .900 hallmarked. I understand your concern regarding it does not "look" like gold. Gold is notoriously difficult to photograph, depending on light angles. I've seen 90% gold such as Venezuela Bolivares very reddish due to the copper. And other 90% more yellowish and "gold" like (commemorative proof coins and medal such as this one).

When, I bought it, got a spectrograph reading with the medal made in front of me before purchasing it, so that's why I know it's genuine :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The market for such memorabilia would have to be pursued in Europe.... Germany specifically. As for other value...likely a bit back of melt...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very liquid (at 2,000 degrees Farenheit).

• Options

@dcarr said:

Wow!

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

I said the same thing out loud as I clicked into the thread.

It's all about what the people want...