Home Precious Metals

1947 Mexican 50 Peso...in platinum!?

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was scrolling through some information today and found out about a really cool version of the 1947 Mexican 50 Peso "Centenario".

Apparently 5 pieces, dated 1947 as all 50 peso restrikes are, were specially struck for collector Edward Metcalf in the 1950s...in platinum. An "unofficial" mintage, shenanigans were probably involved. The last one to sell at Heritage at least was back in 2013, where an NGC MS66 example sold for about $10,000. How cool is this?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh that's cool. I have a gold one, '27 I believe if memory serves. They are nice chunks.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Interesting!

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Wow, cool piece

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a first for me!

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting how the "normal" .900 gold version weighs 37.5 grams, but the same size in platinum is greater than 10% heavier at 41.3 grams.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep.

Platinum is about 10% more dense than gold… so quick math 37.5 + 3.75 = 41.25 pretty close to stated weight.

I really like platinum, and this design…. But the ORO Puro (pure gold) and the improper weight kill it for me.

Now deface the die prior to strike Obfuscating those elements, then maybe.

Neat piece still!

It's all about what the people want...

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why does it say 37.5 ORO if its plat?
    I've got one made of aluminum near as I can tell and gold plated.
    Quality isn't close to that one and I doubt NGC would be interested in giving it a grade :)

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks as if it were surreptitiously made on platinum without the 'ORO PURO and 37.5G' being adjusted..... Interesting. Cheers, RickO