Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need help with variety on a 1830 large cent.

I cannot find any pics or descriptions with the different varieties known.

Thank you, Heavenly Father, for first loving us.

Comments

• Options
    uscoinguyuscoinguy Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

Based on the descriptions in the Newcomb book it is N1/A1. I always start by looking at the 10th berry, which is the one by the A and M in America. But I am not an expert.

Always trying to learn more
  • Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a series I know but looking at the forum Resources thread there is a link to a NNP book for 1816 - 1839 large cents.
    It looks like 1830 starts on page 177. Any good?
    There are also 3 updates listed 1825, 1839 and errata that I did not look at.

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/530759

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭✭

@uscoinguy I concur...N1A1...I always look for obvious die cracks...the one" from the rim near the first star through second to rim over third star" is a perfect match.

• Options
    0ronron0ronron Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

@uscoinguy said:
    Based on the descriptions in the Newcomb book it is N1/A1. I always start by looking at the 10th berry, which is the one by the A and M in America. But I am not an expert.

@lilolme said:
    Not a series I know but looking at the forum Resources thread there is a link to a NNP book for 1816 - 1839 large cents.
    It looks like 1830 starts on page 177. Any good?
    There are also 3 updates listed 1825, 1839 and errata that I did not look at.

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/530759

@RLSnapper said:
    @uscoinguy I concur...N1A1...I always look for obvious die cracks...the one" from the rim near the first star through second to rim over third star" is a perfect match.

Thank you all for your responses and reference material! I am looking at buying this book right now but looking for the latest publication.

Thank you, Heavenly Father, for first loving us.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can’t find Newcomb, the Noyes book is pretty good:

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D I like all the markers Noyes points out. Newcomb is much more difficult to decipher. I am going to have to pony up the $275 Wizard Coin Supply wants for the 2 Late date books. The Newman Numismatic Portal has the latest Grellman book but Noyes is not available. Plus I have a plate coin from Noyes in my set.

• Options
    opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭

Your coin is an N-1. I PM'ed you with more info.

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file