Home Metal Detecting

not metal detecting find

because i don't have a metal detector.
back in 1994 i found these 2 items in an area behind my subdivision,it was being prepped for new houses and ground had just been graded in spots.
i went looking for native plants to relocate.
as i crossed over one freshly scraped spot i noticed a metal tube which turned out to be the barrel of a belgian pin fire,when i dug it out i also found the 1848 penny,neither in good shape.
i didn't dig anymore because it started to rain and by the time i got back to the site lots of construction going on.
pics of my non metal detecting find

i am dyslexia of borg futility is resistant your ass will be laminated.

Comments

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice finds. Did you clean up the pistola and id the make, model and caliber?

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• the picture is cleaned up it was caked in funk,pretty sure its an 11mm belgian pin fire,parts are gone off of it,double action works but does not lock in single action.i was surprised the wood grips made it fairly intact.
    the one screw between the grips and trigger guard does not look original.
    i have found quit a few arrow heads in this area and there is a family that settled this area in the mid 1800's,NE GA chattahoochie river area,i found this about a 2 miles from the river.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... great finds... Too bad you could not have searched the area more... there had to be more treasures there. Cheers, RickO

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing finds!

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

I am not a pinfire expert; however, that revolver looks more like a 7mm or 9mm to me than 11mm. It's still a fascinating find regardless.

• its 11mm i measured the chamber and barrel with digital caliper,most were in 7,9,and 12mm.
    i do wish i had more time in the area with a metal detector.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should still see it there is detectable areas there... seek permission if necessary. There must be a lot more there. Cheers, RickO

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in Hall County and have a couple detectors. Need help searching?

• the site now has homes on it.