Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Anyone else see this item on Heritage Auction...

mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

The clarification and hammer price (Heritage Auctions estimated the value at $8000) seems to indicate that the lot was misinterpreted by bidders...

https://sports.ha.com/itm/football/1959-topps-football-first-series-vending-box/a/50060-51688.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

For the winners sake...I hope the vending box contains many PSA-10s.

mint_only_pls

Comments

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s crazy, given the photos.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

What was sales price?

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

$117,000!

mint_only_pls
  • UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried getting it to rip and it blew up. Tapped out.

• coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

i was a bidder at much less...didnt expect it to go so high.

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    $117,000!

Lol that’s obscene. But I said $350 for 88-89 Fleer Wax boxes was obscene a few years back on these boards so what do I know.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    $117,000!

I’ve given up trying to understand this stuff. Someone is paying $200+ per card without even the excuse of having a rare unopened wax, rack or cello box? This vending box is opened, so to me, what you have are some presumably very nice cards, worth nowhere near an average of $200/card. Silly price.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

@mintonlypls said:
    $117,000!

I’ve given up trying to understand this stuff. Someone is paying $200+ per card without even the excuse of having a rare unopened wax, rack or cello box? This vending box is opened, so to me, what you have are some presumably very nice cards, worth nowhere near an average of $200/card. Silly price.

According to the listing description, the cards within are still 'wrapped" in 7-card bundles from the factory, and I'd expect, based on that verbiage, at least, presumably unsearched, but if not, I'd agree that price seems crazy. That said, there are many collectors out there with deeper pockets than you or I, for whom 100K is like 1K to us.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel like description was clear. Hope buyer gets great cards and is happy with the purchase.

I didn’t know that vending ever came in bands like that. Learned something from this listing.

I also would not trust a box like this that wasn’t BBCE wrapped. Hope it is not cherry-picked.

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe one of the web breakers will sell bundle breaks at $2k per?

Mike
    Bosox1976

@grote15 said:

@PaulMaul said:

@mintonlypls said:
    $117,000!

According to the listing description, the cards within are still 'wrapped" in 7-card bundles from the factory, and I'd expect, based on that verbiage, at least, presumably unsearched, but if not, I'd agree that price seems crazy. That said, there are many collectors out there with deeper pockets than you or I, for whom 100K is like 1K to us.

The price is crazy even if they are untouched. Can you provide any reasonable scenario whereby the buyer will come out ahead?

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

@grote15 said:

@PaulMaul said:

@mintonlypls said:
    $117,000!

The price is crazy even if they are untouched. Can you provide any reasonable scenario whereby the buyer will come out ahead?

Some buyers don’t want to come out ahead. They just want to own it.

Like Grote said. Once had a CEO pay me $7,700 for something others only would pay the $1,000 value of the item. He just wanted it that bad. His 7.7k was like their 1k.

@Goldenage said:

@PaulMaul said:

@grote15 said:

@PaulMaul said:

@mintonlypls said:
    $117,000!

Like Grote said. Once had a CEO pay me $7,700 for something others only would pay the $1,000 value of the item. He just wanted it that bad. His 7.7k was like their 1k.

Bobby orr?

edited January 29, 2023 7:51AM

@coinspacks said:

@Goldenage said:

@PaulMaul said:

@grote15 said:

@PaulMaul said:

@mintonlypls said:
    $117,000!

Bobby orr?

Yes. Big Orr, Yaz, and Staubach collector.

He also bought the very first PSA 9 Orr #2 from 1968 opc from me.

This was 20 years ago.

He compulsively bought for five years and then sold everything about 5-10 years later.

edited January 29, 2023 11:06AM

@PaulMaul said:

@grote15 said:

@PaulMaul said:

@mintonlypls said:
    $117,000!

Dave, I dont have to start explaining the value premiums for unopened product to you, do I? ;)

It's never about coming out ahead for the cards individually within the packs or box, (though 50 lower pop PSA 10s might do it), but the scarcity of the product in that form that determines its value for unopened collectors on the secondary market. No one has ever even seen a vending box like this with 71 individually wrapped bundles within the vending box.

Should a legit 1973 baseball 5th series wax tray ever surface, it would eclipse 25K, easy.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    edited January 29, 2023 1:40PM

@grote15

Of course I get all that, it’s just hard to see an opened vending box, original or not, maintaining that premium value over time. Wouldn’t it be rather easy to switch cards out?

When I was bidding I contacted Heritage with questions to make sure what I was bidding on. Derek Grady at Heritage personally inspected the box. The stars are in it like Brown, Unitas and in multiple copies. It was not picked through. It would have been a blast to land and open.

@UFFDAH said:
    When I was bidding I contacted Heritage with questions to make sure what I was bidding on. Derek Grady at Heritage personally inspected the box. The stars are in it like Brown, Unitas and in multiple copies. It was not picked through. It would have been a blast to land and open.

Even so, wouldn't you agree that viewing it as “unopened” over time would get rather problematic?

@PaulMaul said:

@UFFDAH said:

Even so, wouldn't you agree that viewing it as “unopened” over time would get rather problematic?

its more likely viewed as original vs unopened.

edited January 29, 2023 2:30PM

@PaulMaul said:
    @grote15

Of course I get all that, it’s just hard to see an opened vending box, original or not, maintaining that premium value over time. Wouldn’t it be rather easy to switch cards out?

I'd agree that the value is only as good as the guarantee that the 7-card bundles within are completely intact and undisturbed, at least for me as an unopened collector.

edited January 29, 2023 9:43PM

@brad31 - you would have to call Heritage and/or the seller to get to the very bottom of it. Perhaps they both mutually agreed it was best to verify the contents since it really is something that has practically never been seen before. If I was the owner selling that mysterious of a box I would want it reviewed so that I didn't have a nightmare after the auction to deal with. As a bidder I just wanted some sort of confirmation it hadn't been cherry picked because my intent was unwrap and grade. Once the bidding completely blew up I quickly tapped out. Other than that it snowed in Wisconsin yesterday.

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never heard of vending boxes being packed like that from the factory. The best guess out there is that this was a closeout item that was repackaged in the early 60s in those bundles. The few late 50s vending boxes I saw auctioned off ~20 years ago were packed similar to the 70s vending boxes we all know well. Even putting this aside, the photos show the cards aren't very well centered. I'm really shocked this sold for so much. Hopefully the buyer doesn't rip it. It's best leaving it as is.

• tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
    edited January 31, 2023 7:09AM

@gemint said:
    I've never heard of vending boxes being packed like that from the factory.

They weren’t.

Never were.

Paper was used like this to wrap cards by Woody Gelman and those who bought from Woody.

My deceased friend (85) who bought from Woody taught me this to protect cards better than rubber bands.

To each their own, but this person bought nothing more then repackaged cards in an older vending box.

Based on the sale price it could entice people to produce more of these.

Heritage says “presumably issued by the factory “.

Shame on them.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:

@gemint said:

They weren’t.

Never were.

Paper was used like this to wrap cards by Woody Gelman and those who bought from Woody.

My deceased friend (85) who bought from Woody taught me this to protect cards better than rubber bands.

To each their own, but this person bought nothing more then repackaged cards in an older vending box.

I am convinced for some it's just the rush they need, it's like high stakes gambling.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

@Cakes said:

@Goldenage said:

@gemint said:

They weren’t.

Never were.

I am convinced for some it's just the rush they need, it's like high stakes gambling.

Just give Fritsch’s son a call.

Ask him if dad ever received vending like this.

The answer will be no.

edited February 1, 2023 7:41AM

All you need to create that is a book from the 1950’s or 60’s for paper.

Plus a little of this

Plus this

Get yourself some NM-MT o/c cards
    and you have yourself $100,000.

No different than this.,,,,,

@grote15 said:

@PaulMaul said:
    @grote15

I'd agree that the value is only as good as the guarantee that the 7-card bundles within are completely intact and undisturbed, at least for me as an unopened collector.

Has anyone asked the question why Steve Hart’s letter of approval didn’t come with this ?

I mean if it actually is packaged from the factory as Heritage says 😂

@grote15 said:

@PaulMaul said:

@grote15 said:

@PaulMaul said:

@mintonlypls said:
    $117,000!

Dave, I dont have to start explaining the value premiums for unopened product to you, do I? ;)

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts as to why you referred to this item as unopened.

edited February 1, 2023 7:29AM

@Goldenage said:

@Cakes said:

@Goldenage said:

@gemint said:

They weren’t.

Never were.

The answer will be no.

its actually the grandson now...jeremy....the father/son (larry/jeff) are deceased.

@coinspacks said:

@Goldenage said:

@Cakes said:

@Goldenage said:

@gemint said:

They weren’t.

Never were.

The answer will be no.

its actually the grandson now...jeremy....the father/son (larry/jeff) are deceased.

Thank you. Did not know. 😮😢

@Goldenage said:

@grote15 said:

@PaulMaul said:

@grote15 said:

@PaulMaul said:

@mintonlypls said:
    $117,000!

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts as to why you referred to this item as unopened.

It was a general statement based on whether the cards within the bundles of the box were unsearched. I don't mess with vending unless its FASC and even then, it's not my preference for unopened product.

@Goldenage said:

@coinspacks said:

@Goldenage said:

@Cakes said:

@Goldenage said:

@gemint said:

They weren’t.

Never were.

The answer will be no.

Thank you. Did not know. 😮😢

Yes, Jeff passed away some years ago.

Thought this was interesting in light of the previous thread. Is there any corroboration for the idea of vending machines dispensing groups of cards for a nickel rather than just one for a penny?

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be very very skeptical of this. If it could be done once, it could be done again. It will be very interesting and damning if we see a bunch of these hit the market in the next few months.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

@craig44 said:
    I would be very very skeptical of this. If it could be done once, it could be done again. It will be very interesting and damning if we see a bunch of these hit the market in the next few months.

Skepticism is definitely warranted…but I do think seeing the same type of vending packaging used for a set that is much less valuable and less in demand lends credence to the possibility that this setup was used for dispensing multiple cards from a vending machine.