Home Metal Detecting

Environmental Damage

Some ugly dug coins ..

Comments

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

that is some fugly coins ya dug up. whats ya gonna do with them?

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

The IHCs are always worth soaking and getting the soil off. IMO. Hope you find something interesting. Good luck and let us know. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HiBucky.... Wow!! Double WOW!! How many years of finds does that pile represent?? Cheers, RickO

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HiBucky said:
    Some ugly dug coins ..

Lawn mowers are tough on coins!

• HiBuckyHiBucky Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

How many years .. How about when I first started the average day of silver finds were $2.00 to $3.00 daily. My dad and I were the first ones into many of our local parks. We even had a $10.45 cent day of silver... I live near lake Erie and over 180 gold rings. many from the lake. Sold 5 ounces for $3500 and another 5 ounces for $3700 and I have all the keepers that are high end and are worth more then spot. Many rings have the band split from wave action. Three seated halves came form the beach and over 20 reals, one being a a hammered cob , not bad for a fresh water lake. Hundreds of silver coins with bust seated and barbers from time to time. One area we just picked up the silver coins from the slate we hardly use detectors on the beach. Crazy but the coins because of the wave action and no sand gather in areas of all metal made from the wave action. These areas when found contain all iron. They are 2-3 feet wide and about 10-20 feet long. You just sit down with your digging knife and paw through the rust and you would be amazed what we have found. From a single gold link to a chain weighing over 1.5 ounces with large links 18 k from the early 1920s. Bust half dimes, seated dimes, larges cents (Spent) Silver and gold rings, religious medals, nails, copper nails, old tools, keys, anything heavy would accumulate in this rust patch.. Every metal object lost in the beach sand for hundreds of years are now exposed, brought together by wave action to a gathering spot for my enjoyment. **If you guys are ever hunting a beach, clay, slate, hard pan must be no deeper then a few inches. Deep sand you will find nothing or just new coins and maybe an orphan ring **

Then the cracks in the slate with a detector silver coins would hit and edge in the slate and drop into the cracks The cracks were loaded with silver coins silver halfs, quarters, dimes pennies. My buddy found an Oak Tree Shilling in a crack and took it to a coin dealer he said it was fake because of the bumps.. The coins get beat up pretty bad from the lake waves, it looked like the older silver coins we find. The coins are also under the slate. The waves would pick up the slate and a coin would be slide under the slate and we would need a chisel to remove it. We found over 800 coins in just one day. The coins got trapped behind these big 3 foot high rocks that have been covered by sand for years then a storm exposed them. I had a signal with my detector and while digging that signal I was finding coins. I called my dad (went to the pay phone,) told him to get a shovel then we dug. I dug and threw the sand onto the slate and my dad would go over the sand with his detector. We found silver, seated, bust and a lot of silver coins.....We started detecting in 1979 ...We have found over $1000 face in silver and never sold a thing. MY dad kept track and stopped at $880 of silver in his leger. I asked him why did he waste his time .. Well, he has passed and I look at the leger from time to time....... Notes like Jim found 2 gold rings and 2 silver quarters total $1.40 in silver. and I was finding so many seated dimes that I thought I had a hole in my pocket.... These coins were 1 inch down and he found 11 seated dimes in one small area in the woods of what was an old meeting grounds. All in his notes..... We have over 300 dug large cents, Conditions suck, , cannon balls, hard times tokens, bust seated barbers all the Indians except the 1877 and 1909-s no 56 ....One silver dollar and one gold $5.00 gold... Hundreds and hundreds of Indians..

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HiBucky... Thanks for the reply and the interesting history. Just amazing... What a treasure trove. Cheers, RickO

• CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s an amazing story… I wish I had picked up detecting years ago. Thanks for sharing.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!