Home Stamps Forum

Are These legal postage? INTERNATIONAL PHILATELIC EXHIBITION

Can I use these as postage? I just bought a large collection of plate blocks, which I'm using as postage. Included were some of these. Some of these have hinge marks, some are damaged, some perfect, but still. Is this a souvenir or are they postage? Can I stick them on a postcard and mail it? (along with enough additional postage)

The hundreds of plate blocks are another issue as it's really difficult to slap enough 3 or 4c stamps on something to mail a letter! :)

Comments

• Thanks. I know it seems odd but you can see the 5th has a stain. When I see these, I think of stamps, before they had perforations and people cut them from a page. Printed on a letter press. Then web printing was an advance. Now we have pressure sensitive, die-cut labels?

• CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PPorro said:
    Thanks. I know it seems odd but you can see the 5th has a stain. When I see these, I think of stamps, before they had perforations and people cut them from a page. Printed on a letter press. Then web printing was an advance. Now we have pressure sensitive, die-cut labels?

I'm thinking that most early stamps were cut with a Pen Knife...don't know.

CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use old mint stamps all the time for postage. I often get compliments from my postmen who appreciate the stamps vintage look.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2023 2:45PM

@PPorro said:
    Can I use these as postage? I just bought a large collection of plate blocks, which I'm using as postage. Included were some of these. Some of these have hinge marks, some are damaged, some perfect, but still. Is this a souvenir or are they postage? Can I stick them on a postcard and mail it? (along with enough additional postage)

The hundreds of plate blocks are another issue as it's really difficult to slap enough 3 or 4c stamps on something to mail a letter! :)

Plate block collecting has declined in popularity since the introduction of self stick stamps. Still, there are collectors who may be looking for a specific plate number for their APS exhibit. The problem is finding that collector. The low face value stamps can be sold but usually at a sharp discount from face value. Starting today, Jan.22, the rate for a first class letter is 63 cents for the first ounce.

All glory is fleeting.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be inclined to keep "perfect" ones since they do have a little premium, but as for the rest....lick 'em and stick 'em.

I also bought a quantity of souvenir sheets like yours. At some point I'll start trimming them down and using them.

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope you have used a Scott's Stamp Catalogue to determine which are the better stamps. The 10 cent souvenir sheet is one of them.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just found a bunch of souvenir sheets from the 1976 INTERPHIL show held in Philadelphia. While they bring back fond memories of having different family members stand in different lines for me, I think it's probably time to lick and stick them too.

[Image stolen from the web.]

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2023 5:43PM

I have a few of those I have to use up. I got them in a group of discount postage.

The denominations are so light in color I am expecting a battle at the PO. :D

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    I have a few of those I have to use up. I got them in a group of discount postage.

The denominations are so light in color I am expecting a battle at the PO. :D

Especially the one with the X for the denomination.

• milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

I would not have an argument with the Postal Clerk. I got to know him pretty well and when I would go in with something that may need a little more postage, he would just hit it with his rubber date stamp. He said as long as it is hit with the clerk's stamp, they don't check.
    Bob

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net