Home Stamps Forum

Are These legal postage? INTERNATIONAL PHILATELIC EXHIBITION

Can I use these as postage? I just bought a large collection of plate blocks, which I'm using as postage. Included were some of these. Some of these have hinge marks, some are damaged, some perfect, but still. Is this a souvenir or are they postage? Can I stick them on a postcard and mail it? (along with enough additional postage)

The hundreds of plate blocks are another issue as it's really difficult to slap enough 3 or 4c stamps on something to mail a letter! :)

Comments

• GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 191 ✭✭✭

You may, perfectly legal as postage.

• Thanks. I know it seems odd but you can see the 5th has a stain. When I see these, I think of stamps, before they had perforations and people cut them from a page. Printed on a letter press. Then web printing was an advance. Now we have pressure sensitive, die-cut labels?

• CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PPorro said:
    Thanks. I know it seems odd but you can see the 5th has a stain. When I see these, I think of stamps, before they had perforations and people cut them from a page. Printed on a letter press. Then web printing was an advance. Now we have pressure sensitive, die-cut labels?

I'm thinking that most early stamps were cut with a Pen Knife...don't know.

CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use old mint stamps all the time for postage. I often get compliments from my postmen who appreciate the stamps vintage look.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2023 1:45PM

@PPorro said:
    Can I use these as postage? I just bought a large collection of plate blocks, which I'm using as postage. Included were some of these. Some of these have hinge marks, some are damaged, some perfect, but still. Is this a souvenir or are they postage? Can I stick them on a postcard and mail it? (along with enough additional postage)

The hundreds of plate blocks are another issue as it's really difficult to slap enough 3 or 4c stamps on something to mail a letter! :)

Plate block collecting has declined in popularity since the introduction of self stick stamps. Still, there are collectors who may be looking for a specific plate number for their APS exhibit. The problem is finding that collector. The low face value stamps can be sold but usually at a sharp discount from face value. Starting today, Jan.22, the rate for a first class letter is 63 cents for the first ounce.

All glory is fleeting.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be inclined to keep "perfect" ones since they do have a little premium, but as for the rest....lick 'em and stick 'em.

I also bought a quantity of souvenir sheets like yours. At some point I'll start trimming them down and using them.