Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Four large cents discussion

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited January 13, 2023 9:09AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have a bunch of coins here. I don't collect any of these. What I collect is listed below.
I'm going to sell these and I want to give accurate grades with decent images.
This is what I have and please feel free to kindly give your opinion.

1818 G4 It looks like a die error or cud?

1834 Large 8 and stars Med letters Fine 12 or 15

1847 Looks like chop marks or something similar. I'm sure I will learn something here. The images are deceiving. The marks are recessed. Not on the surface. Tempting to clean out but I decided to post first.

1803 Large date Large fraction VG 10 or fine 12. I cannot determine this on my own. Some details look nicer than on some of the VG images I compared this to while some of them looked less than the 12. This is why I was leaning towards VG 10.

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1847 was called a Brothel Token.

Here's additional info:
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/exonumia104330.html

peacockcoins

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are all damaged.

• Options
    ChevyroseChevyrose Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

I bid $6

• Options

For the lot

• Options
    edited January 12, 2023 6:06AM

I agree with you Tom. I took brutally honest images because that's how I want to be. It wouldnt take much effort to lower the lights a little bit and darken the surfaces to cast them in a better light. I just dont want to be that way. Thank you for your time to look and post. I wanted to be sure I got the varieties correct as well.
    I was thinking anything over 4c would be a bonus.
    I'll pass on the $6 but thank you for your offer.

• Options

@Chevyrose said:
    I bid $6

That will be a fine addition to your collection.

• Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pictures. The coins would be great for young numismatists or as gifts for non coin collecting friends. It's always great to be able to hold history in your hands and know you aren't damaging the coin in any way.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn’t get too hung up on splitting the technical grades on these.
    Paramount is the damage, scratches, etc. that will determine the value.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damaged coins... with the damage superseding any grade that may be offered. If they were mine, I would simply keep them for historical reference. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's hard to kindly give my opinion. You gotta love copper.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

To get rid of them simply ebay them. You may get $15 for the 1803, however, I am not a large cent expert. You may even get more. Giving them to a new collector would certainly generate his/her interest in coin collecting.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the flip side , I would keep the 1803 as a starter in a type set, although it has issues...it's got character.
    The others, I would buy , and bury with culled silver coins, scrap silver & gold jewelry.... and then host a metal detecting clinic. I know a lot of people around here would say "yeah.... fun".
    Finders keepers ! I admire your researching and appreciate your posting.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Chevyrose said:
    I bid $6

That will be a fine addition to your collection.

I save any and all copper I come across in a giant copper bowl

Not to mention my high grade slabbed copper

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a group of large cents that were a tad better, not the type of deliberate damage that happened to most of those at some point and was surprised that there was a lot of demand anyway. Would try ebay as buy it nows.

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 531 ✭✭✭✭

The 1803 still has decent value. Not as damaged as the others, and draped bust cents are always in demand. I’d be willing to bet that would bring well over $50.

• Options
    edited January 12, 2023 10:08AM

Redbook puts that 1834 at a premium if it's the variety I believe it is. I am not 100% sure I am correct though. Look at the PCGS app some really rough coins of this type have brought some good money. However, that's not what my post is about entirely. I am also training my eye for varieties. It's an exercise of learning as well. I do know what these coins are condition wise and I know I brought out the flaws intentionally. Cool historic artifacts no question about that.
    Wouldn't it be great if everyone on ebay gave images that were so precise.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damaged culls. Dump them as quickly as possible and don't waste your time or money buying any more problem coins.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like the 1803 is an S-260, an R.1 coin. So no bonus value there.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options

@291fifth said:
    Damaged culls. Dump them as quickly as possible and don't waste your time or money buying any more problem coins.

I appreciate the advice, thank you.
    I didn't buy them. I have alot of coins to go through.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Watchtower said:
    Redbook puts that 1834 at a premium if it's the variety I believe it is. I am not 100% sure I am correct though. Look at the PCGS app some really rough coins of this type have brought some good money. However, that's not what my post is about entirely. I am also training my eye for varieties. It's an exercise of learning as well. I do know what these coins are condition wise and I know I brought out the flaws intentionally. Cool historic artifacts no question about that.
    Wouldn't it be great if everyone on ebay gave images that were so precise.

The 1834 is either the N3 or N4, large date, small stars, low 3, medium letters, most likely the N3.
    Without the scratches it would be ~$75 or so.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2023 3:29PM

As others have already said... all are damaged in some way. The 1803 appears to be the least damaged of the four and Draped Bust Large Cents always have a draw. I'd grade it VG8 details...

Edited to add... also, no one has mentioned the green corrosion yet so I wonder if it's the color on my monitor or if it's the coins...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

Pocket piece for sure!
    I'm going to keep it stuffed in my wallet. Maybe someday I will give it away to a youngster in the family who expresses interest in it. You kind of know it when you see it. If they keep going back for another look you know you got them started. If they toss it to the side and could care less then it's a flop.
    I love it. Cost me nothing and I got an education and a lot of good discussion. Many experienced numismatis on this forum likely from all walks of life. Rich or poor we can come enjoy each other's coins.
    I know one thing for sure when I am ready to step up and buy something over $5k I am coming here to talk about it first.
    Thanks guys.

• Options

@291fifth said:

And yet if someone suggested melting them...

Nothing wrong with culls as long as you pay cull money.

• Options

It's a much better coin now. This is what happens all to often on ebay. Many reputable dealers on ebay no doubt about that. But you do see plenty of this going on.

• Options

@Watchtower said:
    It's a much better coin now. This is what happens all to often on ebay. Many reputable dealers on ebay no doubt about that. But you do see plenty of this going on.

What am I supposed to be seeing? Dark pictures?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Watchtower said:

I think you try to see how many times you can comment in every thread

Your sarcasm is incredibly dry

Stop trying to be the smartest person in the room

You aren’t

• Options

@Chevyrose said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Watchtower said:

You aren’t

That was a legitimate question. It's not clear to me what the seller is being accused of, other than using a dark photo.

Other than it is your charming personality, I don't know why you feel the need to lash out.

Have you tried the NGC forum?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Chevyrose said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Watchtower said:

You aren’t

That was a legitimate question. It's not clear to me what the seller is being accused of, other than using a dark photo.

Other than it is your charming personality, I don't know why you feel the need to lash out.

If you’re a real collector post a coin

You accuse me of being a troll, however you troll every thread

You don’t possess knowledge you think you do

• Options
    edited January 13, 2023 4:36AM

@Chevyrose said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Chevyrose said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Watchtower said:

You aren’t

If you’re a real collector post a coin

You accuse me of being a troll, however you troll every thread

You don’t possess knowledge you think you do

Knowledge about dark vs light?

How many coins do I have to show to prove myself worthy of you? Why am I supposed to care that you, of all people, don't approve of me?

I've never claimed any knowledge that I don't possess. Although i do know how to recognize a cleaned 55/55 without needing PCGS to do it for me.

Here's a box of coins. Now that I'm worthy, am I free to continue to ask questions? Maybe drop another tab. Or switch to weed. That might mellow you out.

• Options

As the saying goes "crap rolls down hill"

This discussion has been closed.