Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Toning....

Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭
edited January 3, 2023 1:30PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Has this coin been somehow wiped?

How does the darker toning only accumulate around the higher details?

Comments

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks counterfeit to me

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

The neck seems to show significant diagonal lines or scratches. IMO. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:
    Looks counterfeit to me

I have the same initial impression.

In answer to the question in the first post, sometimes when coins are cleaned, the toning at the protected areas isn’t affected or if so, not as much. Also, coins often tone at the borders first, so it’s not unusual to see lighter centers and darker peripheries.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like impaired proof.
    Doesn't look counterfeit to me.

peacockcoins

• Options

Without knowing die marriage characteristic I also thought it had a proof like appearance but the denticles seem to say no. So who knows.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting, whatever it is…..

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin has the desirable 'circam' look... however, based on the fine lines on the image neck, it does look as if it endured a cleaning... I cannot conclusively call it a counterfeit, if it is, it is a good job. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PizzamanPizzaman Posts: 226 ✭✭✭

The surface looks dead. It does look like it's cleaned.

• Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm with the counterfeit crowd.

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭

@Pizzaman said:
    The surface looks dead. It does look like it's cleaned.

Pizzaman, you are making me hungry!

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

over dipped

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's counterfeit and that is new "toning" applied to the piece to make it pass into collector's hands.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Appears to have too much of a circulated cam look for the lack of wear.

• Options

Hello! I am fairly new to the coin universe but I am not a total novice. These for 2009 Lincoln’s were in a set and I honestly thought that they came in this color when I purchased the set but after looking at some other sets this coloring is not typical. I took them out in case them up, and I have to say that with that special proof look and the color they look pretty dope. I’m not even sure what to do with coins that are valuable. I got excepted to this forum and just wanted to put something out there and see what you guys thought.

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1986MakesCents said:
    Hello! I am fairly new to the coin universe but I am not a total novice. These for 2009 Lincoln’s were in a set and I honestly thought that they came in this color when I purchased the set but after looking at some other sets this coloring is not typical. I took them out in case them up, and I have to say that with that special proof look and the color they look pretty dope. I’m not even sure what to do with coins that are valuable. I got excepted to this forum and just wanted to put something out there and see what you guys thought.

Hello, I don’t think that kind of toning is rare, as I have the same type but in original mint packaging. The toning is probably due to the coin being copper unlike other proofs minted at that time. I would say none to very low added value. P.S. Please make your own discussion next time to not subtract from the original post :) .

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't quite put my finger on it but when I first saw it I thought counterfeit. I have a couple of these and something is just off.

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2023 9:09PM

Here is something I noticed. It's so subtle and could be simply due to photography but the tails on the lettering looks off to me? Also the dentils look off...

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes wiped. Looks real.

"Antiqued" or some such process.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fathom said:
    Yes wiped. Looks real.

"Antiqued" or some such process.

My best guess is that the coin is an “antiqued” copy.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file