Home Metal Detecting

Detecting on South Florida beaches?

DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a metal detector as a kid and I enjoyed it, I was considering giving it another shot as I have the resources to buy a better machine. I live in south Florida, palm beach county to be exact. I've heard that detecting the beaches after storms can produce some nice finds, Spanish coins, jewelry, etc. From what I heard, its better up north (vero, juno beach) I'm wondering if anyone on here has had decent success regularly detecting in this area? I know its more about enjoyment, and frankly the extra exercise would be helpful after the holidays :D

Comments

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan Use the Google to check out the "Treasure coast" shoreline. Some epic stories of first finds of gold coins, A cannon in the surf, etc. Good luck. Report back when you strike it rich!. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• justindanjustindan Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭

+1 for Treasure coast. It's the place to go. It's hard to get there fast enough after a hurricane unless you live there. The competition is fierce.

• DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got it, treasure coast for the post hurricane detecting for shipwreck treasures . Now for just any old weekend, where I’d be lucky to find jewelry, I would think any popular beaches in palm beach county would suffice, right?

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan... I lived and worked in West Palm for about five years. At the time, I did not do much MD'ing....Work etc. was quite demanding then. You are right though, just for jewelry and change, most beaches there will give some treasure. Be sure to use an MD that can handle salt water... and the trough line, just offshore, is a good area to detect for jewelry. Cheers, RickO

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

if you do i hope you find tons. just dont let spain catch on, there still sue happy