Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Maybe not so Rare Plastic for the Weekend? Someone just listed 12 NGC White Labels on eBay.

pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

With apologies for the title theft from @Lakesammman:

Tim

Comments

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

So $2k for the holder and 80-200$ for the coin?

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

Erie, PA jeweler, and coin dealer... likely somebody sold off Pop's collection,

-----Burton
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:

If people will pay that, why not?

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps someone wants to take some of those profits off the table.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ToreyTorey Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

Cool to see, I would have feathered them in a few at a time though.

• Options

@Southcounty said:
    This summer I went to a local coin show and just happened to walk by a dealer putting a 1939-S WLH graded MS65 in an NGC 2.1 holder out in his case. I asked what he wanted for it, expecting it to be moon money, and he grabbed a greysheet and said he couldn't do any better as it was a nice PQ coin he just got in. I happily agreed and paid him his full asking price. Right place and right time. I went right over to board member @DRUNNER, an old holder aficionado, who happened to be set up at the show, and excitedly shared my new purchase. Sheepishly I wouldn't be shocked if it got a gold bean.

Nice score, @Southcounty. It is on the census?

Tim

• Options
    SouthcountySouthcounty Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭

@pointfivezero said:

@Southcounty said:
    This summer I went to a local coin show and just happened to walk by a dealer putting a 1939-S WLH graded MS65 in an NGC 2.1 holder out in his case. I asked what he wanted for it, expecting it to be moon money, and he grabbed a greysheet and said he couldn't do any better as it was a nice PQ coin he just got in. I happily agreed and paid him his full asking price. Right place and right time. I went right over to board member @DRUNNER, an old holder aficionado, who happened to be set up at the show, and excitedly shared my new purchase. Sheepishly I wouldn't be shocked if it got a gold bean.

Nice score, @Southcounty. It is on the census?

Tim

I don't believe it is. I think I checked to see if there were any other 1939-S WLHs in MS65 and as I recall there might have been one other but with a different cert number.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:

What about the beans? Isn't that part of the price breakdown? :D

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great holders, the coins?

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@privatecoin said:

@BStrauss3 said:

A green bean is probably the minimum expectation for old holders. Gold beans might move the needle but I doubt a green bean would.

Tim

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2022 8:15PM

@pointfivezero said:

@privatecoin said:

@BStrauss3 said:

A green bean is probably the minimum expectation for old holders. Gold beans might move the needle but I doubt a green bean would.

Tim

There is a 1937 Buffalo head with gold CAC on reddit if anyone is interested.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pmsforsale/comments/z35xrn/wts_more_new_coins_over_25_certified_classic_us/

Good luck if you want to go for it. 😉

** Edited to add proper link and screenshot

• Options

hhmmm @vulcanize, it’s either sold or was never available for sale. It’s not listed among the itemized items.

Tim

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am frequently surprised at the premiums for these older holders. I think I may have one or two, not sure.... probably picked up twenty years ago. I just collect coins and a lot of coins come in slabs.... to me, it is just protective packaging. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2022 6:47AM

@pointfivezero said:
    hhmmm @vulcanize, it’s either sold or was never available for sale. It’s not listed among the itemized items.

Tim

It is.

Can't be listed there. Send the seller a pm.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vulcanize said:

@pointfivezero said:

Tim

It is.

It's on the other subreddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CoinSales/comments/z358gi/wts_more_new_coins_over_25_certified_classic_us/

$2750.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:

Nah, they're a known wholesale market dealer that also does public facing work. They've been jumping on these and sitting on them for a while, guess they're finally moving them.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said: Erie, PA jeweler, and coin dealer... likely somebody sold off Pop's collection,

Dempsey and Baxter is a well known and well regarded wholesaler in Erie, they regularly do all the shows within a wide radius of where they're located. Forum member @PTVETTER certainly knows who they are. While "Pop's collection" may have been the source of these there's really no reason to frame it with a negative connotation. As @DelawareDoons stated above, they probably accumulated them or made a recent purchase and are just selling the group/

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:
    @BStrauss3 said: Erie, PA jeweler, and coin dealer... likely somebody sold off Pop's collection,

Dempsey and Baxter is a well known and well regarded wholesaler in Erie, they regularly do all the shows within a wide radius of where they're located. Forum member @PTVETTER certainly knows who they are. While "Pop's collection" may have been the source of these there's really no reason to frame it with a negative connotation. As @DelawareDoons stated above, they probably accumulated them or made a recent purchase and are just selling the group/

I see them at the Buffalo Numismatics Association shows once in a while. Seems like stand up guys.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

and for the record (and . . . ahem . . . . I know) . . .

The prices listed are relatively accurate for the sale of the advertised items . . . .

Drunner

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

and yes . . . those of you I sold to for $400 because I am a nice guy and share the wealth . . .

You are welcome . . . :-)

Drunner

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ajaan said:

@Maywood said:

I see them at the Buffalo Numismatics Association shows once in a while. Seems like stand up guys.

They are a stand up company!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options

@DelawareDoons said:

@vulcanize said:

@pointfivezero said:

Tim

It is.

It's on the other subreddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CoinSales/comments/z358gi/wts_more_new_coins_over_25_certified_classic_us/

$2750.

Now listed on eBay:

Tim

• Options

For those of you who take everything negatively, "Pop's collection" is not negative. There are a lot of older collectors who have died or will in the next few years, and the children/grandchildren have zero interest in the collection. It's simply a fact of life, of changing generations, of changing tastes and interests.

As custodians of historical artifacts, would you rather they get dumped in the CoinStar, sold at the flea market, or bought & sold by a coin dealer who knows & understands the value of these items? At prices that represent the actual value of things and put more money in the pockets of the sellers so they can buy things that match their taste?

-----Burton
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:

Hi it's me, pop. 🤣

• Options

@coinkid855 said:
    Hi it's me, pop. 🤣

Cool. Awesome coins!

-----Burton
  • Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

When do the TPGs start grading the holder itself?

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭✭

@fathom said:
    When do the TPGs start grading the holder itself?

Well, they do grade GSA and Redfield coins/holders so, why not? Seriously, it would not be that surprising if someone did.

• Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:

@coinkid855 said:
    Hi it's me, pop. 🤣

Cool. Awesome coins!

Thanks! They're not mine anymore though. Just used to be until the ANA.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@privatecoin said:

@BStrauss3 said:

It's all about labels and stickers. Long gone are the days of collecting coins. Stange world. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    56morgan56morgan Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

I am finding it to be hugely satisfying for us coin collecting minnows to be able to acquire coins/plastic that are rarer/scarcer and harder to find than major keys. Why disparage our enthusiasm? Now on to find a nice NGC 2.1 Mercury in this strange New World.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file