Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The SEMIQUINCENTENNIAL is Coming

OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Celebrating 250 years of independence, 2026 will be a very busy year for coins. According to the 2023 Red Book, "Both the obverse and reverse of every circulating coin will be redesigned in 2026 for the nations's 250th-anniversary celebration." That will include the cent, nickel, dime, quarter, half, and dollar coins. The quarters will have finished the current American Women's series and will feature "five different designs emblematic of the semiquincentennial."

Comments

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm waiting to see what kinds of semiquincentennial wallpaper designs all the Important Influencers™ recommend decorating with.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been there, done that. Remember the Bicentennial coins?
    :|

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    My fervent wish is that they will select true American themed art and not commercialize the designs. Cheers, RickO

This

• Options

@JBK said:
    Been there, done that. Remember the Bicentennial coins?
    :|

Yes, but this may be most of our last chances at national celebration coinage. I wonder how many of us will be around to celebrate the tercentennial in 2076?

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭

Semiquincentennial -- that is quite a mouthful.

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vasanti said:
    It would be nice if they did a run of pre-1800 and early 1800 designs. I'm tired of seeing Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson, etc.

Yes, let's bring back Miss Liberty!! Brownie points if she is wearing a cap.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2022 9:07AM

@Onastone said:

Yes, but this may be most of our last chances at national celebration coinage. I wonder how many of us will be around to celebrate the tercentennial in 2076?

Not me, I'm currently working on trying to make it to next week.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options

@WillieBoyd2 said:

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Semiquincentennial

:)

You took the words right outta my mouth!!!!!!!!

• Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Driving up the SEMI to pick up the first year series of the cent, nickel, dime, quarter, half, and dollar coins.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope for quality designs but I’m not holding my breath. Besides, if I hold it too long I won’t be here tomorrow, let alone 3 years from now 😂
    Beaver has an idea he hopes to see, what’s that? Oh surprise! Little guy wants his likeness on the new nickel 🦫😂🙀

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

A new dime? No way!

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options

@privatecoin said:
    A new dime? No way!

That's what I thought too! How long has it been?????

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:

Beaver has an idea he hopes to see, what’s that?   Oh surprise!  Little guy wants his likeness on the new nickel 🦫😂🙀

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm waiting with baited breath - the price will be amazingly affordable too. I read on the internet that the US Mint is really focused on keeping priced reasonable and have set up 84 month payment plans too. LOL.

THE PRICE IS GOING TO BE GOING TO BE DETERMINED BY THE BOTS

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being a bicentennial baby, Im merely reminded of turning 50 soon. Where the heck does the time go?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:

Beaver has an idea he hopes to see, what’s that? Oh surprise! Little guy wants his likeness on the new nickel 🦫😂🙀

He should move to Canada. ;)

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let’s not give him any ideas 😂🦫
    We’ve already got a large collection from 1937 on. And just about every silver oz beaver released.
    Let’s not forget about the Oregon folks. And Beaver Falls Pennsylvania and Arizona 🦫

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a good opportunity to also get rid of the cent and nickel and introduce a $2 coin.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:

@privatecoin said:
    A new dime? No way!

That's what I thought too! How long has it been?????

Almost 77 years. But, who's counting?

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    My fervent wish is that they will select true American themed art and not commercialize the designs. Cheers, RickO

My apologies in advance

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

What I said in the other thread:
    I think they need to bring back old designs. Throw Gobrecht's designs back on the quarter, half, and dime and you'll get some attention. Put Longacre's Indian Head cent design back as well. Use the gold dollar with the obverse and reverse of the original gold dollar.

Coin Photographer.

• Options

@FlyingAl said:
    What I said in the other thread:
    I think they need to bring back old designs. Throw Gobrecht's designs back on the quarter, half, and dime and you'll get some attention. Put Longacre's Indian Head cent design back as well. Use the gold dollar with the obverse and reverse of the original gold dollar.

Sounds very romantic, but I believe the designs will be all new- no throwbacks or classics... think of our current quarters or innobucks.

@ricko said:

@jacrispies said:

@Vasanti said:
    It would be nice if they did a run of pre-1800 and early 1800 designs.

Yes, let's bring back Miss Liberty!!

It's not too late is it? Can we all influence the mint's designs?? Wouldn't it be wonderful to actually turn the clock back 250 years and celebrate with our nation's first designs??

• Options

Does the mint have old designs not used? Thinking of our latest version of George on our quarters pulled out of their storage...nothing against today's modern artists but there is definitely a different feel/look to the older generations of artists.

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2022 5:34PM

The real question should be is whether CBS will bring back the "semiquincentennial" minute every night at 8.59pm.

jom

PS: I'm curious to see if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WillieBoyd2 said:

is that mary poppins?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@WillieBoyd2 said:

is that mary poppins?

Yes. That's Julie Andrews who played Mary Poppins in the movies.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, does that make me feel old. One of my first memories was watching my father, write “1976” into concrete in the base of the foundation of the barn he was pouring. It’s still there

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2022 2:14PM

Bill was introduced in both the house and senate. Has not moved from "introduced" since 2021. Read these bills to see the denominations, mintage and which metals.

https://congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/4429/text

https://congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/2384/text?r=44&s=1

• Options
    DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2022 2:25PM

$25 gold - Not more than 100,000
    $2.50 silver - Not more that 500,000. Interesting its 38.1 mm with a $2.50 denomination
    25c clad - Not more than 750,000
    $2.50 silver proof - This is 5 ounces.

No halfs, nickels, nor cents indicated in both current bills.

• Options

:o

• Options

Time to take a survey? What would you like to see on the new coins??
    Presidents? Historical figures? Imaginary Lady Liberty? Eagles? Trees? Broncos? Constitutional sayings? Bill of Rights? Are you neutral or very interested or not interested at all?? I took the survey and suggested designs similar to original sculptors and engravers leaning less on computerized versions. And perhaps a theme of world races that make up the citizens of America.

Find the survey on the US Mint website.

• Options

@ricko said:

Love quoting Ricko. RIP and I totally agree with him!

• Options

@jom said:
    The real question should be is whether CBS will bring back the "semiquincentennial" minute every night at 8.59pm.

jom

A reference to the "Bicentennial Minute" spots, which I suspect would not go so smoothly in this era.

Maybe they'll talk about it on Nightline. :D

• Options

@JBK said:

@jom said:

jom

A reference to the "Bicentennial Minute" spots, which I suspect would not go so smoothly in this era.

Maybe they'll talk about it on Nightline. :D

Honestly I had to look it up. CBS ran a 60 second "This day in history" for a couple years mid '74-76. Funny, I don't remember ever seeing one. I guess I wasn't watching much tv as a young teenager.

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Glen2022 said:
    Semiquincentennial -- that is quite a mouthful.

I think my 15 year old niece just had hers, it was quite the affair.

• Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2023 5:51AM

“In keeping with the monumental celebration of the birth of our nation and to commemorate the events that took place at Independence Hall in Philadelphia on July 4, 1776, the ANA has selected Pittsburgh as the host city for the 2026 World’s Fair of Money.”

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2023 7:00AM

I hope they're broad national themes, not some niche designs/subjects to "cover all the bases". Oh, and no Chuck E Cheese token clip art please.

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although few experience it today, I would like to see LIBERTY restored to our coinage.
    Maybe only for the one year if it's too drastic a suggestion. :s
    It would sure be nice to think of though. <3

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭

How about a bimetal coin, $250 face, 1 oz each, gold and platinum?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file