Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Collecting Disney Coins - New collector

I am very new to collecting silver coins and I am a huge Disney fans so I was excited to learn that there are Disney silver coins to collect. I see where I can purchase current ones from Apmex of the NZ mint. But I have soured the internet and can find very little information about older coins (what is out there? and how to buy?). I see some on Ebay but I don't trust them. I've already bought one coin that turned out to be a fake. Can anyone point in the right direction for information about Disney silver coins and/or safe places to buy older ones? Thank you much in advance. Ed

Comments

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are just silver bullion coins minted with Disney themes, you wont find info about older Disney coins because there aren't any. If these are the type of "coins" you desire, they can be bought on eBay around $40, if you're interested in paying 100% over spot value. I would avoid paying any type of numismatic premium for these types of bullion coins, unless you are determined to lose money.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Edfroncz... Welcome aboard. These are novelty silver tokens, not actual coins. You could check sites like Apmex, the Australian mint, Franklin mint. As advised above pay as close to silver spot as possible. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the Boards. Your specific request is such a small niche, there are probably a good number of knowledgeable folks who don't consider them to be part of numismatics. The NZ Mint makes coins for the small island of Niue, and I'm pretty sure they've been minting Disney coins since 2014. Both NGC and PCGS will slab certain Nieu Disney coins. Buying slabbed coins from reputable sellers (like Apmex) is a good way to protect yourself against counterfeits.

As for pre-2014 Disney "silver rounds", here is an article I thought was objective and fair.

https://www.buysilver.org/silver/rounds/disney/

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• Options

@DeplorableDan said:
    They are just silver bullion coins minted with Disney themes, you wont find info about older Disney coins because there aren't any. If these are the type of "coins" you desire, they can be bought on eBay around $40, if you're interested in paying 100% over spot value. I would avoid paying any type of numismatic premium for these types of bullion coins, unless you are determined to lose money.

I guess I should have been more clear when I said older. I have been able to find out that they go back to the 1980s which I realize is not ancient but that is what I meant by older.

I guess I am looking at these for "collectible" value and "investment" value although I think it helps knowing that they will always be worth at least spot. If that makes sense.

• Options

@JeffersonFrog said:
    Welcome to the Boards. Your specific request is such a small niche, there are probably a good number of knowledgeable folks who don't consider them to be part of numismatics. The NZ Mint makes coins for the small island of Niue, and I'm pretty sure they've been minting Disney coins since 2014. Both NGC and PCGS will slab certain Nieu Disney coins. Buying slabbed coins from reputable sellers (like Apmex) is a good way to protect yourself against counterfeits.

As for pre-2014 Disney "silver rounds", here is an article I thought was objective and fair.

https://www.buysilver.org/silver/rounds/disney/

Thank you very much.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Edfroncz said:

@DeplorableDan said:

I guess I should have been more clear when I said older. I have been able to find out that they go back to the 1980s which I realize is not ancient but that is what I meant by older.

I guess I am looking at these for "collectible" value and "investment" value although I think it helps knowing that they will always be worth at least spot. If that makes sense.

@JeffersonFrog seems to have found a fairly accurate write up on the different issues of these Disney silver rounds. If those are what you truly enjoy and make you happy, go for it. The advice that I can offer is that when you want buy one, check eBay and filter "sold" listings to see what recent sales indicate they would sell for, and try to make sure that if you ever had to liquidate you wouldn't lose a significant portion. Most of us collect items that we enjoy, and its nice when the value increases over time, but coins are never really a great investment. No one can really say what they may be worth in the future, but I would try to err on the side of caution in terms of funds invested into such a niche market like this.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are quite a few Disney medals that have been issued over the years. Some are silver, usually one ounce rounds, and others are aluminum pieces that were given away (or sold?) at the theme parks on special days such as anniversaries. You may have to do some searching to find out just what exists but that is half the fun of collecting them. Good luck!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    horseyridehorseyride Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

For some still available, and a good look at older coins, start off at www.powercoin.it and search for Disney. A cursory glance shows hundreds of issues, especially from that old standby the country of Niue, which seems to license about 5000 coins for each of foot of their of their 100 sq miles.

• Options

@horseyride said:
    For some still available, and a good look at older coins, start off at www.powercoin.it and search for Disney. A cursory glance shows hundreds of issues, especially from that old standby the country of Niue, which seems to license about 5000 coins for each of foot of their of their 100 sq miles.

Thank you

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are also silver bars with Disney themes...probably unlicensed though. I've seen some bars with Scrooge.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    There are also silver bars with Disney themes...probably unlicensed though. I've seen some bars with Scrooge.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

@Onastone said:

Wiseguy! LOL... :D

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have fun collecting Disney Coins, welcome to the coin forum :)

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2022 3:23PM

@DeplorableDan said:

This is not true. There are plenty of non-US NCLT coins with Disney themes.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome
    Sounds like you are getting some good leads and information.
    eBay is certainly a place where love hate relationships exist but can be very useful. As mentioned above, searching sold listings can be very helpful. I have spent the last 5 years learning eBay and have scored some amazing deals and bought a few dogs.
    When looking at a value for my collection I use spot plus 10%
    Finally, best advice I’ve received, collect what you like and remember it’s a hobby that can hold some value as well as providing entertainment 😁

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file