Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

20 year search for the perfect S.S central American 20 for my collection

fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

When your favorite dealer, John from Silicon Valley coins (goes by coin lieutenant on the pcgs boards), calls and tells me he has a special coin for my collection I always get excited.
I have been searching for an 1857-s 20 lib from the S.S Central America for years. Ever since I saw the ship of gold display at long Beach in 1999 or 2000. Back then I was a kid who could barely afford the parking at the convention, but ever since I have wanted one of these 20 libs.
I have looked at hundreds of these trying to find the right coin. These come really nice but often the ones that call out to me are in 65 and 66 holders and priced at multiples of a nice 63 or4. I had seen photos of nice 64s and knew if I searched hard enough and was patient I would find a 64 that had the right look. Finally the right one showed up in my mailbox tonight.
There is a reason john (Coinlieutenant) is the only person who, when he tells me he has a special coin for me , I get really excited.
Many of my best coins have come through his connections.

As for the coin I think you would be really hard pressed to find a nicer ms64. Anyone else have some S.S.central American relics to post.

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strong 64. Congrats.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that looks really smooth and lustrous.

BIG Congrats!!

20 years is a LONG TIME!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    willywilly Posts: 289 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a very nice 64

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the shipwreck story and am actively seeking the right one for myself as well! Congratulations on a beautiful coin!

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

I admire your patience and it absolutely paid off. That is a stunning coin with beautiful surfaces, luster, and color. I have a hard time understanding the 64 grade. I’m sure it was not typical 64 money but probably still a great deal for the eye appeal.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sure is one specimen of a 64! Congrats on the new member of your collection. Just like pcgscacgold, I’m a little bit envious, the only coin dealer that calls me tries to peddle overpriced cat turds…

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's tough to find a nicer 64 because that's not a 64 as far as I can see from the pics.

Great coin, great acquisition.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely coin and Congrats on a grand purchase! Someday perhaps i will find a SS Central America coin for my “Box of 20” …I am a bit of a history buff and heavily involved in the salvage business…i strongly recommend reading The Ship of Gold by Kinder…Historical novel that will truly endear the reader with the plight of the folks returning from the California Gold rush..

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

A really nice and cool coin.

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on a nice find. A beautiful piece of numismatic history.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fishteeth ... That is a real beauty.... Still plenty of luster. Obviously CAC puts it in the upper tier of grade. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had one of those on my radar in the same grade! You coin is exceptional! Thanks for sharing!!!

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice big fish from the ocean :)

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very pleasing coin. Congratulations!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    VegasDanVegasDan Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

Super Cool/Awesome!

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a reaaaaly nice one!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your patience certainly paid off. Great pickup. Congrats. Quite a beautiful coin.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    conrad99conrad99 Posts: 370 ✭✭✭

A dream-come-true coin for sure. Congrats!

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I reread your last sentence to verify you wanted others to post coins from the shipwreck. Surprised there aren’t any others out there. I can’t be the only one with a coin to add.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks like a gorgeous example, regardless of the grade! It's also always good to know some folks who will have your back, as well. Congratulations on the acquisition and the patience.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful coin.

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fishteeth Thank you for the kind words. I have genuinely loved helping you build your collection over time. We've been at this for 13 years now! Hard to believe.

This coin was a real creampuff. Gorgeous and glad you got it.

John
    Silicon Valley Coins

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Just WOW! Even without the famous shipwreck pedigree, that one stands out!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭✭

What a great looking coin. PCAC64 is the ultimate value grade for this year. Smart buy.

John Marburger is my favorite coin dealer.

Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SethChandler said:
    What a great looking coin. PCAC64 is the ultimate value grade for this year. Smart buy.

John Marburger is my favorite coin dealer.

He charges a lot for shipping, though...

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2022 5:10PM

John quickly corrected the mistake, though...

Perfect timing!
    I'm starting to get ready to sell some coins and have been recording eBay purchase billing emails to an Excel spread sheet for the entire day. I came upon this bill from Coin Lieutenant from 15 years ago, puzzled over it for a moment, made the copy above, and then figured it most have been a mistake. Sure enough, two Ebay bills later, I found this corrected bill. Then, a few hours later, I read this thread and couldn't resist the troll. Sorry Coin Lieutenant.

John and I bumped into each other in an eBay auction long ago and we've had very nice PM discussions about seated Liberty halves and the variety of very choice coins he owns and sells. It's funny to me that I see this thread hours after puzzling over the obviously erroneous bill.

Sorry for spoiling the celebration over this really nice double eagle recovered from the S.S. Central America. Congrats over the nice purchase!

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Nice coin

• Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 381 ✭✭✭

I like it; you did well.

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian , that is funny.

What you didnt point out is that you ordered 1 day shipping with the gold and pearl inlay presentation box, along with a 10 year no questions asked warranty.

Seemed cheap.

;)

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin. I'd be very happy with that purchase

• Options
    edited October 29, 2022 2:48PM

@LJenkins11 Wow! What a neat set of coins! Both coins are gorgeous, including the 55-S which is hard to find in nice undamaged condition. Who knew one had to locate a 150-year-old shipwreck to find a nice one.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking coin congrats!!!

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    justindanjustindan Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome pickup and a killer 64! It's hard to believe what role that shipwreck caused in the panic of 1857.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Splendid coin! I would be proud to own that one and I’m pretty picky myself. 👍

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

John is a great person to deal with. Buying or selling, he is a top-notch dealer.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2022 4:20PM

I also bought a 1857-S SSCA $20 in PCGS MS-65 in the middle of the covid pandemic , in early 2021.

I bought it subject to it receiving CAC approval. JA loved the fabulous luster as much as I did and stickered it immediately even though I thought it had more serious bag marks on the neck and nose/mouth with equal amount on the cheek versus your lovely coin. I also searched 20 years for this high grade coin as well although I did previously buy a PCGS/CAC AU-58 one years ago for very cheap.

You did very well indeed. A virtual twin to my MS-65. Congrats! Your coin is borderline gold sticker candidate and should be premium priced. Mine was priced at a slight discount due to my thoughts of my coin.

coinlieutenant did great for you.

I was not impressed with the other original PCGS gold foil labeled MS-65 and hated the MS-66 and MS-67 ones out there so you could not do better.

My coin photo. It was purchased right here on this B/S/T board.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

I was fortunate enough to pick this one up some time ago.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file