Home U.S. Coin Forum

A Sunday GTG on a $2.5 Lib, updated photos, and PCGS result

SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 24, 2022 1:19PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here's a new one into my collection/inventory. Shots are recent. Let's see if you can get the right grade! Multiple angles provided, but cell phone shots, so they aren't perfect, but they still show up on your screen about 5x larger than normal! :)

Dead people tell interesting tales.

Comments

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to judge from the photos. Baggy AU or MS.

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

no way to GTG with those images, sorry............

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/
  • gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll guess 55

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

I'm also at 55.

Young Numismatist

• MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭✭

surfaces look odd, but could be the photos

image Respectfully, Mark
  • JonBrand83JonBrand83 Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2022 3:33PM

Looks very marked up and a bit strange. How would we pick the "right" grade if coin is unslabbed/ungraded? Seems to have low MS detail.

Jbknifeandcoin.com
    IG: jb_rarities

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JonBrand83 said:
    Looks very marked up and a bit strange. How would we pick the "right" grade if coin is unslabbed/ungraded? Seems to have low MS detail.

Consider them "pre-grading" photos. The coin has been graded by PCGS.

• BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist based in SoCal.
  • FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

The photos look like they were shot in whole different worlds :lol:

I'm anywhere from AU Polished to MS63 based on which picture I'm looking at.

Coin Photographer.

• dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 420 ✭✭✭

MS63

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many happy BST transactions
  • ElectricityElectricity Posts: 314 ✭✭✭

• jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Au details, repaired

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

With images that are so different from one another, how about at least letting viewers know which, if any, are close to accurate?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• justindanjustindan Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    With images that are so different from one another, how about at least letting viewers know which, if any, are close to accurate?

The back background accents the coin about right, in my opinion. The tangential light displays the digs/marks on the coin as well as the surfaces.

It is all the same coin with different light and background.

@SurfinxHI said:

@MFeld said:

The back background accents the coin about right, in my opinion. The tangential light displays the digs/marks on the coin as well as the surfaces.

I understand that it’s the same coin, but it looks AU and possibly messed with in some pictures and straight grade unc. in others. Surely, some of the images are more true to like than the others, but you haven’t indicated which.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU55

@MFeld said:

@SurfinxHI said:

@MFeld said:

I understand that it’s the same coin, but it looks AU and possibly messed with in some pictures and straight grade unc. in others. Surely, some of the images are more true to like than the others, but you haven’t indicated which.

I thought I indicated the black background looks the best (truest) to me? Perhaps I shouldn't have said "accents" and just should have said looks the closest to in hand.

@SurfinxHI said:

@MFeld said:

@SurfinxHI said:

@MFeld said:

I thought I indicated the black background looks the best (truest) to me? Perhaps I shouldn't have said "accents" and just should have said looks the closest to in hand.

Sorry, I didn’t take “The back background accents the coin about right” to mean that was necessarily the most accurate image.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to me like an AU coin..... could be 55 or 58.... Cheers, RickO

So, there is the result. Several folks noted the surfaces might be weird. I would say they are hard to say for certain they are weird, but PCGS determined them to be so. A small area of weakness and possible pitting is around the eagle's head. To me, there are surface differences in the field around the bust and the stars, but the cause (to me, a non-counterfeit expert) is unknown. Perhaps these are difference in die polish???

For your questions, the diameter is correct, and the metal tests vis sigma appropriately at 90%. Finally, the weight is accurate as well at 4.16-4.20 grams (scale bounces a bit, but usually measures 4.18 grams).

I was a bit shocked at the grade result, but now it is a good learning piece for me.

Raw coins are risky, and that is a common date.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Raw coins are risky, and that is a common date.

These days slabbed coins are equally risky. It's the world we live in. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• RexfordRexford Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

The portrait is way too soft. Look how the left sides of the face and neck slope down into the fields. Turn the coin on its edge and you should see that the reeding isn’t right (the way it meets the rim is visibly wrong even from the side angle here).

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

The thought of it being counterfeit had crossed my mind, but I thought maybe its just bad photos.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Convincing fake; is it possible it was treated to make it look real? Who palmed the fake off on you?

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first thought was counterfeit.

@logger7 said:
    Convincing fake; is it possible it was treated to make it look real? Who palmed the fake off on you?

Customer at a show (I honestly think he had no idea either, so this is just a "circulating fake"). I took it in trade. Tested it, tested correct weight and purity prior to taking the trade. Looked at it briefly. Also showed it to another dealer (just recently) and it got past him as well. fun fun.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file