Options

Rare coin: HA, GC or eBay best place to list it? 🤔

Comments

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Cougar1978 said:
    For me and the material I do - GC. I believe they offer the option to send a coin to CAC also.

You can't send a modern to CAC.

For coins that are CAC eligible, Stack's and Heritage also offer submission.

Actually, you can.

But since moderns aren't eligible, they have approximately 0% chance of stickering.

Yes.... but.... you have a 0% chance of being charged a fee.

• Options
    edited October 4, 2022 5:33PM

@skier07 said:

@jkrk said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Cougar1978 said:
    For me and the material I do - GC. I believe they offer the option to send a coin to CAC also.

Actually, you can.

But since moderns aren't eligible, they have approximately 0% chance of stickering.

And you have a 100% chance of being charged for postage.

I was thinking walk thru.

• Options

@jkrk said:

@skier07 said:

@jkrk said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Cougar1978 said:

Actually, you can.

And you have a 100% chance of being charged for postage.

I was thinking walk thru.

Thus / gas & time. Yes.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Cougar1978 said:

Actually, you can.

Lol. And people accuse me of nit-picking...

• Options

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Cougar1978 said:

Actually, you can.

Lol. And people accuse me of nit-picking...

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

And padding your post count. ;)

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Between the the three mentioned, I would say GC. @ianrussell does not throw as large of a lasso, being more specialized than the other two. Coins and paper are a small and smaller part of the other two mentioned. IMO.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2022 4:12PM

@jkrk said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Cougar1978 said:
    For me and the material I do - GC. I believe they offer the option > @oih82w8 said:

Between the the three mentioned, I would say GC. @ianrussell does not throw as large of a lasso, being more specialized than the other two. Coins and paper are a small and smaller part of the other two mentioned. IMO.

Just because an auction house (also) conducts sales in categories other than “coins and paper”, doesn’t mean it’s not the largest auctioneer of rare coins and currency.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be tempted to keep it along with all those others and start my own PCGS Registry!

peacockcoins

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    I'd be tempted to keep it along with all those others and start my own PCGS Registry!

I'd definitely take the money and run. Buy an MS-67 for less than 1%.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think David disappeared
    Last Active September 30, 2022 12:14PM
    Calling David!!!!

• Options

@MFeld said:

@jkrk said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Cougar1978 said:
    For me and the material I do - GC. I believe they offer the option > @oih82w8 said:

Just because an auction house (also) conducts sales in categories other than “coins and paper”, doesn’t mean it’s not the largest auctioneer of rare coins and currency.

jkrk said what?

You never know what you said until you read it in print? LOL

• Options

@jkrk said:

@MFeld said:

@jkrk said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Cougar1978 said:

jkrk said what?

You never know what you said until you read it in print? LOL

I apologize for that. I have no idea how it happened, as I thought I hit “Quote” at the bottom of the original post from oih82w8, which I have copied below.

oih82w8 Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭✭ October 5, 2022 4:41PM

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@jkrk said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Cougar1978 said:

Oh, don't be such a homer

• Options

@alaura22 said:
    SOOOOOO
    What did you decide to do with your coin?

Thank you for all of your feedback! As crazy as this may sound, but I really love the coin so I’ve been admiring it over the last couple of days ❤️. It just arrived in the mail from PCGS, and when I held it in my hand I was like ‘wow’…

As much as I wish I could keep it, I need the money for college so I’m going to figure out a plan soon…I’m thinking the easiest path might be to go to the GC, especially since I don’t have any experience selling or negotiating coin deals, etc.

The coin has inspired me to ‘keep digging’ and I’ve found a couple more coins that I really like a lot, so I’m going to send those off to be graded soon so I hope to find another really good coin soon. ❤️

Thank you for the note about the tax bill, that’s something I didn’t think about…maybe I should start an LLC for my coin hobby? I’m only trying to save money for university, I’m not sure how many years I’ll be dealing with coins, but for tax reasons maybe starting an LLC is smarter avenue (?)

• Options

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not necessary to form an LLC just to sell a handful of coins. Don’t overthink things. Give the coin(s) to an auction house and basically sit back and wait for the check.

It is going to be very difficult to repeat this situation where you located a top pop (and low pop) coin with such a small sample of sets. There are people that look through and submit tens of thousands of mint set / proof set coins to obtain top pops. That’s where the LLC might come into play.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably best to consult with your accountant or tax advisor. If this sells for what people think it would appear you will have a significant tax gain event. Tax rates on collectibles are something don’t consider.

• Options

@1madman said:

It is going to be very difficult to repeat this situation where you located a top pop (and low pop) coin with such a small sample of sets.

I agree. I definitely got lucky…I’m new to coins, I started because I inherited a box of coins, which included mint sets…

Hopefully they’ll be some more juicy ones in there, but you’re right, most likely this coin is my lucky penny 😍 🍀

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wouldn't it be awesome if D.L. Hansen bought it to replace his MS68!?

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Davidcoins said:
    Thank you for all of your help and feedback! I went ahead and sent the pennies to Great Collections, they seem to care a lot about helping coins find the right homes. I took a lot of photos of the penny before I shipped it, I will always remember it as my first great find 🥰❤️. I hope it finds a loving home, someone who will cherish it in their collection for years to come. Thank you for your insight and guidance :)

I’m getting the sense that you did not hand GC the coins at the Long Beach show? Thought I read in this post you live somewhere near L.A., so I’m hoping you drove over to GC’s office and hand delivered them? Can’t imagine you took the chance of mailing that valuable coin when you’ve been given so many opportunities to avoid that step.

• Options

@1madman said:

I’m getting the sense that you did not hand GC the coins at the Long Beach show? Thought I read in this post you live somewhere near L.A., so I’m hoping you drove over to GC’s office and hand delivered them? Can’t imagine you took the chance of mailing that valuable coin when you’ve been given so many opportunities to avoid that step.

Thankfully the coin made it safely to Great Collections :)

Honestly I didn't even think about potential problems with the mail, I'm new to coins so that didn't occur to me. I live in Southern California but not that close to Long Beach so it was a little bit of a haul to make it there and unfortunately I couldn't make it work on short notice. I sent the package by Fed Ex, I'm not sure if that was wise or not, but next time I have a valuable coin I can probably figure out a way to hand deliver it to GC, since I live in So Cal...

Thanks for the heads up about potential mail issues, thankfully everything worked out this time but I will hand deliver next time for sure ❤️

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Davidcoins said:

having private insurance or registered usps is probably the top 2 recommendations. i think the one where you tape all the seams and/or whole box is called registered. expensive, slow but supposedly the best, especially if claims have to be made.

it is best to be able to have proof of your item(s) and their potential values. so take pics of the items, forms, boxes, everything JUST on the off chance, especially because the camera phones are of such high quality, even for older generations. people have struggled with claims trying to prove the value of their items BEFORE they get to the grading services. after isn't quite so hard, usually.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@Davidcoins said:
    @1madman said:

Thankfully the coin made it safely to Great Collections :)

Honestly I didn't even think about potential problems with the mail, I'm new to coins so that didn't occur to me. I live in Southern California but not that close to Long Beach so it was a little bit of a haul to make it there and unfortunately I couldn't make it work on short notice. I sent the package by Fed Ex, I'm not sure if that was wise or not, but next time I have a valuable coin I can probably figure out a way to hand deliver it to GC, since I live in So Cal...

Thanks for the heads up about potential mail issues, thankfully everything worked out this time but I will hand deliver next time for sure ❤️

In the future, I strongly advise against using FedEx for valuables unless you have private insurance.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

In the future, I strongly advise against using FedEx for valuables unless you have private insurance.

I agree. The FedEx service guide explicitly states that FedEx DOES NOT provide insurance coverage.

What I found interesting is I had two watches recently serviced by Rolex and was amazed they both were delivered to me next day from Texas. In checking further I learned:

"FedEx Declared Value Advantage is only available for reoccurring high-value jewelry shipping. One-time jewelry or other high-value commodity shipping needs are not eligible for this service.

The FedEx Declared Value Advantage service gives eligible shippers the opportunity to declare values up to USD $100,000 per domestic shipments and up to $25,000 to select international destinations on specialty items like jewelry, gemstones and precious metals versus the standard maximum declared value of USD $1,000.00. FedEx Declared Value Advantage provides coverage throughout the US and to select international locations.

To determine if you are eligible for this program, please complete the application below and a Declare Value Advantage Representative will contact you."

Has Heritage ever approached FedEx about participating in this program?

• Options

@DisneyFan said:

@MFeld said:

I agree. The FedEx service guide explicitly states that FedEx DOES NOT provide insurance coverage.

What I found interesting is I had two watches recently serviced by Rolex and was amazed they both were delivered to me next day from Texas. In checking further I learned:

"FedEx Declared Value Advantage is only available for reoccurring high-value jewelry shipping. One-time jewelry or other high-value commodity shipping needs are not eligible for this service.

The FedEx Declared Value Advantage service gives eligible shippers the opportunity to declare values up to USD $100,000 per domestic shipments and up to $25,000 to select international destinations on specialty items like jewelry, gemstones and precious metals versus the standard maximum declared value of USD $1,000.00. FedEx Declared Value Advantage provides coverage throughout the US and to select international locations.

To determine if you are eligible for this program, please complete the application below and a Declare Value Advantage Representative will contact you."

Has Heritage ever approached FedEx about participating in this program?

Sorry, I don’t know.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not shop it around bourse at show?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

If the penny doesn't sell in the Great Collections auction, I might do that...take it to shows 🤔

Im thinking about holding on to it for a little lol...I have mixed feelings about letting it go anyway :)

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2022 4:40PM

@Davidcoins said:
    If the penny doesn't sell in the Great Collections auction, I might do that...take it to shows 🤔

Im thinking about holding on to it for a little lol...I have mixed feelings about letting it go anyway :)

This is an auction coin.
    Unless you are taking it to FUN or the ANA, most bourse dealers would probably have little interest except on speculation, i.e., lowball offers.
    You may consider a direct offer to a dealer who specializes in high end modern cents.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope you get a bid, but I am concerned that you placed your reserve too high in the auction.

There is no auction data for an MS69RD, but the auction data for an MS68RD shows this to be a $100 coin. I realize the reserve is set to reflect the PCGS price guide, but that is a guess, too. The reserve of $4,800 plus either 10% or 12.5% BP (depending upon method of payment) would yield a final purchase price of $5,280-$5,400 for the winner. Also, the GC images show what appears to be a new spot on the obverse under the TY of LIBERTY that is not shown in the TrueView images. This might make folks give pause since this is a newly certified coin. I realize it might not be a spot, but who wants to drop $5k to find out?

I also agree that unless you know where to go that this is likely not a "shop around the bourse floor" kind of coin, but you may get lucky if you do so. Good luck!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2022 5:19PM

Edit Okay now I see a thread about it. Never Mind!
    Just now when I clicked on the coinfacts link I got the below. It was working 40 minutes ago.
    Update it change to the 2nd one below.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options

Thanks for the feedback! If the coin doesn't sell, I'll take another look at it to see if that's a new spot or not on the coin (hopefully it isn't!)

In regards to pricing, there's a mountain of difference between a 68 and a 69 coin, you can't even really compare those two grades, they're not in the same league.

The minimum reserve may seem high, but there are only 4 1987 pennies ever graded by PCGS at 69 -- ever -- so I don't mind waiting for the penny to find the right home.

You're absolutely correct, this penny isn't for the average collector, it's for elite collectors, it may take an couple of auctions before they realize this penny is out in the world. I don't mind being patient, it's a fair price for a coin with only 4 ever graded ❤️

@TomB said:
    I also agree that unless you know where to go that this is likely not a "shop around the bourse floor" kind of coin, but you may get lucky if you do so. Good luck!

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

@MFeld said:

@jkrk said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Cougar1978 said:

Oh, don't be such a homer> @Davidcoins said:

Thanks for the feedback! If the coin doesn't sell, I'll take another look at it to see if that's a new spot or not on the coin (hopefully it isn't!)

In regards to pricing, there's a mountain of difference between a 68 and a 69 coin, you can't even really compare those two grades, they're not in the same league.

The minimum reserve may seem high, but there are only 4 1987 pennies ever graded by PCGS at 69 -- ever -- so I don't mind waiting for the penny to find the right home.

You're absolutely correct, this penny isn't for the average collector, it's for elite collectors, it may take an couple of auctions before they realize this penny is out in the world. I don't mind being patient, it's a fair price for a coin with only 4 ever graded ❤️

@TomB said:

You're not really objective.

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

@Davidcoins said:

Reading your thoughts above, I wish you the best of luck.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

GC was a good choice.

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice grade....but the Coin itself I find very unappealing. The die polish marks on the fields are very distracting. Oh...and I owned a MS70 RD 2006 , labeled as MS, but was a satin finish.

• Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭

@ambro51 said:
    A nice grade....but the Coin itself I find very unappealing. The die polish marks on the fields are very distracting. Oh...and I owned a MS70 RD 2006 , labeled as MS, but was a satin finish.

I made two 2006 SP70s today, ironically.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost as interesting as the coin is the Cert number. It adds a little coolness to an already cool coin. You don’t see many 4 number repeaters.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2022 6:34PM

My comments AFTER the auction…

Owner hurt the freshness of his coin and tied one arm behind Ian’s back by deciding to list this coin for sale at starting bid of $4,800 and not trust the “GC machine” to get to the proper price for the coin. A couple of weeks ago, the (fairly similar) 1986-D 1C MS69 fetched $3,605 hammer. But, this 1987-P (with what appears to be a bothersome tiny carbon spot on the obverse rim) is a pop 4 vs. the 86-D being pop 5. Seems like the coin would have likely achieved similar money with an opening bid of $1 and owner would have had a much lesser tax burden concern (lol).

If owner still wants to let it go, I’m a buyer of the coin at the right (fair) price today (as I try to buy almost any business strike modern coin offered to me worth over $1,000) and if the owner wants to sell it tomorrow, just advise Ian and I will try to buy it directly through Ian so he captures his full commission.

As always, just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not my coin and I'm not certain how much emotional attachment the owner has for the piece. However, it appears the owner has a fairly high level of emotional attachment to it, but I would suggest to take Mitch (@wondercoin) up on his offer and at least enter into dialogue with him. This may become a painless and quick transaction that might leave a few dollars on the table, but that should make up for that in its convenience.

Good luck to both parties.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    edited November 29, 2022 10:35PM

Thanks Tom.

And, in reading more carefully through everything, before the auction even ended, it appears the owner may have publicly predicted it would not sell at his price, which surely might have caused anyone that was "on the fence" not to bid (he was discussing his plans after the auction when it didn't sell, and then said he was going to offer it around coin shows etc.)

While I wish coins like this would have a wholesale market around a coin show, I don't think there's any chance of there being a solid wholesale buyer at a given show. But, I understand if that is how the owner would like to see this through from here.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

What an interesting coin. I just blew up the TruView.

https://pcgs.com/cert/45434543

I am not a fan of roller marks or small dark spots. There is a small dark spot to the left of the L in LIBERTY. I have seen them grow on nickels after a few years.

• Options
    CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

Where's Andy Hansen when you need him?
    He bought both the 86P & 86-D PCGS MS69RD Lincolns earlier this Fall for much more money and he needs this date also for his registry set.

• Options
    edited November 30, 2022 1:13AM

Cuprinkor: Maybe he watched $12,000 drop to $4,000 in 60 days on that very date and “saw the light”. 😉

Davewesen: that was my spot on rim comment.

Wondercoin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file