Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Set registry backlog

There has been a long list of pending set registry requests for quite a while. I put in a request for a Cubs Team Hall of Fame almost a year ago and it's been pending since December. As far as I can see, the last baseball rookie class to have a RC registry is 2019 (Tatis, etc). Is PSA adding new registries? Can I get a part-time job just clearing set requests?

Comments

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭

I have a request pending from July 2020 and another from October 2020. I've had requests that I put in way after them go through, so I can't say I know how they're choosing which ones to move clear first (or at all).

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shagrotn77 said:
    I have a request pending from July 2020 and another from October 2020. I've had requests that I put in way after them go through, so I can't say I know how they're choosing which ones to move clear first (or at all).

Were yours requests for new sets, or requests for new slots in existing sets? I ask because I recently requested 9 new slots in various player master sets and wondering how long that will take.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• I posted the below earlier. Seems like they are changing their process and in the process of making changes.

"I was told the registry coordinators were not going to send out requests to vote anymore. They have a new "expert" that will make decisions on how what gets added to these sets going forward. I was told the "or" will be used to fix sets where the key card was not used in the past. Keep an eye on your email for card adds to your set. I've all ready identified cards being added to sets that didn't meet the the requirements. The registry coordinator fixed immediately once I pointed out the error. Bumpy ride ahead..,"

• morton35morton35 Posts: 75 ✭✭

@bullman2012 Missed your earlier post. Interesting way forward. Have several slot requests pending as far back as 2020, so any movement is good movement at this point. If they deny, the email they send out gives an opportunity to reply for further discussion, so hopefully they will be able to make some forward movement
    Chris

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

@shagrotn77 said:

Were yours requests for new sets, or requests for new slots in existing sets? I ask because I recently requested 9 new slots in various player master sets and wondering how long that will take.

The latter, Dan.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

@shagrotn77 said:

@DBesse27 said:

@shagrotn77 said:

The latter, Dan.

Thanks for clarifying. Not good news for me.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Hello, I have been really disappointed with the speed with which player sets are added. Certainly appreciate where niche players are added and since I’m talking about hockey I am already in the niche area but seems a little strange that guys like Makar, Matthews, Mackinnon, elite players who have been in the NHL for years don’t have basic or master sets and don’t see a timeline for them being added.

Seems like player sets could be added with a minimum number of cards and then cards requested by motivated collectors

Maybe it’s just that player sets aren’t really popular, not sure.

They don’t just add sets to the registry, somebody needs to request them. If you don’t see them, I’m assuming nobody requested them yet.

Yaz Master Set

• Yes I should emphasize that I have requested some but not all of the sets above as well as a couple others of current HOF and future HOF players. This was probably 6-7 months ago. Not a big deal as I see above that others have waited much longer for sets to be added but the speed at which player sets are being added makes me believe it is going to be a really long wait.

You can see set requests here as it might be helpful to some https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/setrequests

I would assume Joe Gibbon, Scott Wedman and Gary Geiger will be the next to have sets added. I have looked at this player set since before I made the request and have not seen one name added to the list which tells me there is a huge backlog.

Also you can look at Set Registry additions here https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/news

Last week Erling Haaland, Joe Hart, Christian Okoye and Giovanni Reyna had basic/master sets added, the prior week nobody, same as the week before. 9/15 they added 4 players. So the pace is about 8 basic/master players sets a month

At that pace as a collector I have a feeling I will be waiting years for any requested set.

• halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭

This needs to get a whole lot faster all around.

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • 19591959 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

AGREE . SGC IS LOOKING BETTER EACH DAY.

• HuggyfaceHuggyface Posts: 299 ✭✭

Does anyone know what the PSA process is to get cards added to registry sets? On February 10th, the day after the 2023 Football Hall of Fame inductees were announced. I requested my autographed cards for the 9 new inductees be added to the Pro Football Hall of Fame Players / Coaches / Admin Autographs Registry Set. I used the proper process on the registry site to add a new slot to the registry set. Almost 2 months after the HOF announcement the 9 new players and coaches are still not in the set. Other PSA Registry Football HOF sets have been updated with the 9 new inductees but not the HOF Autograph Set. There is no research needed for this. I didn't request that the Hungarian Pokémon Super Diamond Ruby Emerald Wizard Sorcerer 1 of 1 card be added to this set. I also sent an email 2 weeks ago to the Registry Department seeing if they knew when the update would be made but that email was never answered. Very frustrating all around.

• halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭

It would be nice to have some idea of where they are with the backlog here and when things would be available again.

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards

Agreed. I requested an addition to a set in January and crickets since.

Yaz Master Set

• fhennessy15fhennessy15 Posts: 8
    edited May 31, 2023 10:51AM

I requested a Patrice Bergeron registry about 18 months ago, clearly not the most in demand player in sports but would've been nice to start a set before he retires. Maybe he'll play another year. The request isn't even on the set request list yet.

Seems like they should prioritze superstar players, amazing to me that a player like Joe Burrow doesn't have a set yet. Maybe there is concern about updating the set that maybe they don't have the resources for. Wes Westrum had a player set added on 5/26, no disrepect to Wes or his career but there are no sets added and the odds of more than one or two people ever collecting that set are close to zero.

• rjcoy06rjcoy06 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭

The thing I can't understand is why it is taking so long to add cards to existing sets. I can see it taking longer for a brand new set, but adding a card to a well established players set shouldn't take months. I've waited months for mainstream issues from a current HOF player. Would be nice if slots were added to set when new cards are graded

• davin72davin72 Posts: 88 ✭✭✭

Are new set requests still on hold? I mean how many sets requests were there that it’s taking so long to go thru them. I put in for a decade set over a year ago and there isn’t much to it other than adding all the sets from that decade into one big set. Should be pretty cut and dry.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t shoot the messenger

This is (probably) the answer:

This generates very little money and requires a decent amount of effort and manpower.

Yes, the registry is quite important to the business model but it can also be put on hold to generate more revenue via the core business - grading cards.

I think once they’re at the point where they feel they’ve maxed out their monthly output on a consistent basis at the best possible price point on all products and service levels, the Registry will start to see a massive surge in requests being processed.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Well said

I slightly disagree that the registry doesn't generate money. If I am collecting a player set, and I grade some cards that have never been graded before from that player for my set, I am doing that because of the registry. Once those cards are added to the set, then other people will eventually grade those cards too to add to their set. The registry is a competition for some and getting a couple of new cards added to a set can make a big difference in ranking.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rjcoy06 said:
    I slightly disagree that the registry doesn't generate money. If I am collecting a player set, and I grade some cards that have never been graded before from that player for my set, I am doing that because of the registry. Once those cards are added to the set, then other people will eventually grade those cards too to add to their set. The registry is a competition for some and getting a couple of new cards added to a set can make a big difference in ranking.

You are right in everything you say.

The problem is that’s money generated for you, not PSA. They can still only grade a card for $XXX, even when creating a new spec or adding a card to a registry set which takes time, resources and manpower and does not generate money for PSA.

It’s value lies in when it returns to you and you sell it for a big profit.

I imagine the people dedicated to inputting requests such as this are also adding to the overwhelming database of new issues and variations and parallels and signed copies in every card product under the Sun.

Again, I’m in the same boat as you guys assuredly. It’s why I’m following the thread and I’m only putting forth my best logical guesses as a means of helping my fellow collectors.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• OmegaDOmegaD Posts: 25 ✭✭

I wish they would fast track older company sets. They don't have to do much research into those. The checklist is already there.

I now have 20 cards waiting in the queue for my player set. Ironic that I get daily emails from the Set Registry wanting me to go to all these auction sites to upgrade my sets. Why would I bother??

• Bearkat21Bearkat21 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

Well all of this doesn't look good. I requested a set a year ago for a Chipper Jones postseason home run ticket set. It's 11 total tickets. I was hopeful but no so much now.