Home Sports Talk
Options

Red Sox or Yankees all time starting line up. Which is better ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:

@dallasactuary said:

@Goldenage said:

You earned your LOL. Too bad there isn’t a 10x LOL for that statement.

Babe Ruth played RF in an All Star game. 1933.

Can anyone identify what it is that Goldenage is laughing at, and how the 1933 All Star game is relevant to it? I am truly stumped.

Come on, guys, don't leave me hanging here. Does anyone have a theory, even if it sounds silly, to explain what made Goldenage laugh and what the 1933 All Star game has to do with it? This is driving me crazy!

They all died from laughter after you said the Yankees win in a cake walk.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

Tartabull
    Dickey
    Gehrig
    Cano
    Jeter
    Rodriguez
    Keller
    Mantle
    Ruth

I understand all of the others, but Dickey over Berra? What's the reasoning? And this may violate your rules, but couldn't the DH be literally anyone, provided they hit for the Yankees? That would get DiMaggio in the lineup.

And seriously, if you or anyone else knows what the 1933 All-Star Game has to do with anything, let me know. Dickey was in that game, too, but I'm assuming that didn't factor in to your selection.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:

@daltex said:

Tartabull
    Dickey
    Gehrig
    Cano
    Jeter
    Rodriguez
    Keller
    Mantle
    Ruth

I understand all of the others, but Dickey over Berra? What's the reasoning? And this may violate your rules, but couldn't the DH be literally anyone, provided they hit for the Yankees? That would get DiMaggio in the lineup.

And seriously, if you or anyone else knows what the 1933 All-Star Game has to do with anything, let me know. Dickey was in that game, too, but I'm assuming that didn't factor in to your selection.

Well, as I said, I chose Tartabull based on what he did as a DH for the Yankees. If we let any hitter be DH than DiMaggio is DH and I know what to do with Yastrzemski.

It's close, but among other things Dickey had a .868 OPS vs. .763 for the league, Berra was .830 vs. .732. It wasn't relevant for this exercise, but Berra was a little better than Dickey defensively, but neither was exactly a Thurman Munson (though of course we don't have Munson's "old man" years to consider) much less a Bob Boone. Where Berra stands out over Dickey, and over almost everyone, is his performance in the clutch. Berra was, offensively, to the Yankees what another poster says Jeter was. Compare their postseason careers ad it's not even close, but Jeter was a better hitter.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:

@daltex said:
    If your rules will allow you to use Cobb as your CF on your A's team, then I accept that the Red Sox are competitive. Otherwise no.

LOL! Obviously you are not considering the 1933 All Star Game!!!

You're right. Frankie Frisch was a much better 2B than Joe Morgan. I mean he had a 1.750 OPS and Morgan couldn't even make the team (and really the fact that he wouldn't be born for ten more years is hardly an excuse.)

Oh, and @Goldenage I've "earned [my] LOL".

• Options
    edited September 26, 2022 4:15AM

Xander. SS. Boggs. 3B
    Ruth. RF Williams CF Ortiz. D.H.
    Manny. LF
    Pedroia or Doerr. 2B
    Foxx. 1B
    Fisk. C

Ted Williams is the difference maker.
    Yankees can’t beat this line up in OBP and OPS.

Even if they could by a small margin, I still take the Sox because of Ted’s power.

• Options
    edited September 26, 2022 2:38AM

Try comparing the pre-1950 Sox Yankees with Ruth only pitching for the Sox and only hitting for the Yankees.

You have Ruth, Grove, and Cy Young along with Williams and Foxx against a solid Yankees team with much weaker pitching. Would be interesting.

I think Ruth only hit .220 against Johnson, but I could be wrong

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:
    Xander. SS. Boggs. 3B
    Manny. LF
    Pedroia or Doerr. 2B
    Foxx. 1B
    Fisk. C

Even if they could by a small margin, I still take the Sox because of Ted’s power.

How is Ted Williams in Centerfield? Is Ortiz the backup centerfielder?

• Options

@Goldenage said:
    Xander. SS. Boggs. 3B
    Manny. LF
    Pedroia or Doerr. 2B
    Foxx. 1B
    Fisk. C

In other threads you stated that no matter what you did in the regular season that if you didn't win the championship that you were inferior to other player who did win the championship.

By your own sentiment, wouldn't any team led by Joe Dimaggio automatically be better than one led by Ted Williams?

Who has more championships than Dimaggio and Berra? By your sentiment, wouldn't they automatically have the best team?

• Options

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@Goldenage said:
    Xander. SS. Boggs. 3B
    Manny. LF
    Pedroia or Doerr. 2B
    Foxx. 1B
    Fisk. C

He has a little more range then Manny. A manager puts his outfielders wherever he wants.

An opposing manager doesn’t question his tactics.

Your other question is simple.
    Ortiz never played the outfield in case you didn’t know.

• Options

@Goldenage said:
    Xander. SS. Boggs. 3B
    Manny. LF
    Pedroia or Doerr. 2B
    Foxx. 1B
    Fisk. C

In other threads you stated that no matter what you did in the regular season that if you didn't win the championship that you were inferior to other player who did win the championship.

By your own sentiment, wouldn't any team led by Joe Dimaggio automatically be better than one led by Ted Williams?

Who has more championships than Dimaggio and Berra? By your sentiment, wouldn't they automatically have the best team?

Sorry. Never said that. Someone else must have.

• Options

Ok. Stupid things are now being said so I’m done here.

Enjoy !

😊

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, Ruth never played RF for the Red Sox, and that's where he's slotted. Why not put Williams in CF? I have no idea why Yaz isn't playing 2B. He was a much better hitter than Pedroia or Doerr, and it's well-established that actually playing the assigned position is not a requirement. And I'm pretty sure Yaz would cost the Red Sox fewer runs defensively playing 2B than Williams would cost them trying to play CF.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

@Goldenage said:
    Lenny Dykstra's World Series performance data provides us with a .424 OBP and a 1.124 OPS.
    Very credible stats. Outstanding to say the least.

Big Papi beats him hands down.

Lenny Dykstra is clearly a better postseason performer than Willie Mays based on both players performance data during the postseason. Any 2nd grader can clearly see that. Willie Mays regular season performance data is better than Lenny Dykstra. Any 3rd grader can see that.

I used to play a lot of stratomatic baseball back in the day. Great game. Babe Ruth was impossible to get out. God his card had very little weaknesses to it. It was either a walk or a home run most of the time with that guy.

If they had only regular season data cards for Mays and Dykstra, then I'm taking Mays into my Stratomatic regular season team. If they have postseason stratomatic baseball data cards, then Mays is on the bench, and Dykstra starts.
    It's as simple as that.

You said this ^ in the one thread about who would you rather have at the plate. You said you would take Lenny Dykstra over Willie Mays because Dykstra hit better in the World Series than Mays did. I asked you to clarify and you said yes you would take Dykstra because he proved he could do it in the World Series and Mays could not.

In the best team ever thread you said the Oriole hitters weren't good because they hit poorly in the post season and you took players who were better in the post season(but weren't as good as the Oriole hitters).

Thats why I asked why you would take Ted Williams here because he hit poorly in the post season and never won a WS. I mean if you take a player like Dykstra over a player the caliber of Mays because of their post season performances, I'm not sure why you are so confident with your choices in this thread when choosing against post season Gods like Mantle and championship Gods like Dimaggio and Berra. If you changed your stance, then great, I commend you for keeping an open mind.

Its been said countless times on the board about titles and post season performance being the measuring stick(and maybe I attributed you to some of the remarks and I apologize if you never said that other than these examples where you did).

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

Manny in left and Ted in center. Good lord, that's a lot of misplayed fly balls.

• Options

@Goldenage said:

@Tabe said:

@Goldenage said:

You take the Yankees all time best players at each position and match them against same for Red Sox and it’s VERY close.

Make that case cuz I'm not seeing it.

I’ll start here.

Jimmie Foxx had a better lifetime OBP and OPS than Mickey Mantle.
    Same amount of HRs too.

So what? He's a 1B and should be compared to New York's 1B - Gehrig. Gehrig was better.

Mickey is in CF and he destroys any Red Sox CF, Tris Speaker included.

• Options

@dallasactuary said:

@daltex said:
    If your rules will allow you to use Cobb as your CF on your A's team, then I accept that the Red Sox are competitive. Otherwise no.

LOL! Obviously you are not considering the 1933 All Star Game!!!

Look, just put John Paciorek at every position for Houston. They'll completely dominate.

• Options

A Yankees lineup looks like this:

1B - Gehrig
    2B - Cano
    SS - Jeter
    3B - ARod
    RF - Mantle (he played a year there)
    CF - Dimaggio
    LF - Ruth
    C - Berra or Dickey

I'll ignore DH.

For the Red Sox:

1B - Foxx
    2B - Doerr
    SS - Nomar
    3B - Boggs
    RF - Evans
    CF - Speaker
    LF - Williams
    C - Fisk

If you want to be cagey, you can put Foxx at C (since he played 40+ games there for Boston) and Yaz at 1B. Red Sox don't get Ruth in RF since he didn't play there for Boston.

Either way, the Yankees lineup is better. Period. In fact, head to head, I'm not sure there's any position where the Red Sox lineup is better. Gehrig vs Foxx? Gehrig. Cano vs Doerr? Cano. Jeter vs Nomar? Jeter though peak Nomar might be better. Arod vs Boggs? ARod. Mantle vs Dewey? C'mon. Dimaggio vs Speaker? Close but Joe. Ruth vs Williams? I'm taking Ruth. Berra vs Fisk? Berra.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know most of these players didn't play together. However whoever played with the Red Sox superstars failed to win a World Series for about 100 years. Whoever played with the Yankee superstars were in the World Series or it was a very bad year. BTW the Yankees actually won a few.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph