Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I Did It! My Unique Indian Head Cent Set (WARNING -- Looong read)

2»

Comments

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven

So now that this set is "done" what is the next project?

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whew more stickers than on the back of a Winnebago, but then this set did travel just as many miles. ;)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    willywilly Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice set Steve now upgrade with all OGH with stickers. That should take a couple of months.

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding accomplishment! Beautiful coins...would love to see them in person!

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tomthemailcarrier said:
    That is an amazing set that you have put together. I’m pleased that my 1877 IHC is part of your set. It takes dedication, persistence and patience to accomplish what you have done. Congratulations!

It is a very impressive set!

When I resumed coin collecting back in 2002, I fell in love with a 1877 RB PR65 and bought it thinking there was no way I could justify the additional cost of a MS65 RB. Later I realized that one doesn't mix proofs with mint states and gave up on the idea of putting together an Indian Head cent collection. This was before CAC; but, I was fortunate that the coin did sticker before I sold it.

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic set...well done! Congratulations!

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finally got around to reading this thread, that's an awesome set! Does the PCGS registry recognize the Eagle Eye sticker like CAC? That would be nice.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your long post was by far more worth reading than many short posts. Congrats on the set!

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    Finally got around to reading this thread, that's an awesome set! Does the PCGS registry recognize the Eagle Eye sticker like CAC? That would be nice.

Elmer - They don't. It was quite an accomplishment that they (along with NGC) recognized for Registry purposes the importance in today's market (and the pricing differentials) of the CAC sticker.

With that said, many/most collectors of IHC's and Flying Eagle cents are aware of the Eagle Eye Photo Seal. Many of those value the Photo Seal even higher than the CAC when it comes to these copper coins.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely stunning! :o

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on a beautiful set of Indians. The coins speak for themselves. The add-on stickers just provide a level of confirmation.

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

FANTASTIC.

Love every one of your coins and thank you for sharing your beautiful collections.

Take care and all the very best to you for landing the finest as upgrades.

Cheers.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2022 6:16PM

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW!! How long did take again? Nice! Congrats!

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW

• Options

My records don’t go back to when I had raw coins, but it looks like my first purchase of a slabbed Indian Cent was back in May 2016. That coin has since been sold. The purchase of the first coin in my present set goes back five years, to September 2017. I bought that coin from Rick Snow.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the 1869! Congrats on completing a wonderful set!

• Options

The 1936 Buffalo is absolutely friggin' BEAUTIFUL!

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations Steve !!! amazing collection of IHCs !!!

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options

@Spawnfreak said:
    The 1936 Buffalo is absolutely friggin' BEAUTIFUL!

For those that can’t figure out this comment, apparently @Spawnfreak may have also clicked on the hotlink in my auto signature, which then leads to my Dansco 7070 Registry set. So my guess is he’s referring to my Buffalo nickel in that set.

Steve

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

But most of all, this set would not have been completed without the significant and critical help of Rick Snow himself, the world’s foremost authority on Flying Eagle and Indian Head Cents. As many of you know, he literally “wrote the book” on Flying Eagle and Indian Head Cents! When I first discussed the challenge of putting together a set with these restrictions, I let him know I planned on having a minimum grade of MS64, and each bronze coin would be no less than RB. It was Rick that suggested I raise that minimum to coins grading no less than MS65. While I was in a position to afford this, I asked him would raising the minimum grade requirement keep me from ever finishing this set? He had confidence I would indeed be able to accomplish it. Looking back, I’m thrilled he convinced me to climb a steeper hill, and the result is a set that is fully GEM!
    >
    PCGS quotes the cost of a complete date and mint mark set as 32,595 in MS64 and 51,995 in MS65. (I'm assuming those numbers are for Brown Indians.) Ignoring the cost, why did Rick Snow feel you should put together a RB set with coins grading no less than MS65?

• Options
    edited September 18, 2022 8:48PM

Since the finished set with both a CAC and an Eagle Eye Photo Seal on every coin would be unique, he felt that having the set as “Gem” would indeed be more fitting for a unique set!

As noted, I’m thrilled he made the suggestion and that I accepted that challenge!

Steve

• Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Holy moly! Your heirs (or charitable trust if no heirs) are going to love you. And all since 2017!!

Very impressive!!

• Options
    edited September 18, 2022 9:17PM

@csdot said:
    Holy moly! Your heirs (or charitable trust if no heirs) are going to love you. And all since 2017!!

Very impressive!!

While my two adult children do indeed love me, to your point, “Maybe, maybe not”. Neither has any interest in my coin collection, so my important paper file has clear instructions for them to follow on the disposition of my collection if I should pass away in the next 8 - 10 years. If I make it that long and am still alive, I expect to have the bittersweet experience of seeing my entire collection sold around that time.

Steve

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven before anyone else offers themselves up. If your “kids” don’t want it and you don’t want to sell I’ll GLADLY take this set and love it as much as you do :p

As I edited a few photos I can say that the coins I looked at were WOW. It’s a beautiful set and really well done. Steve has an eye for beauty and this set shows. Just one of these coins is a masterpiece, having all of them is like having the Sistene chapel ceiling painted in your house.

• Options
    edited September 19, 2022 5:27PM

@hfjacinto said:
    @winesteven before anyone else offers themselves up. If your “kids” don’t want it and you don’t want to sell I’ll GLADLY take this set and love it as much as you do :p

As I edited a few photos I can say that the coins I looked at were WOW. It’s a beautiful set and really well done. Steve has an eye for beauty and this set shows. Just one of these coins is a masterpiece, having all of them is like having the Sistene chapel ceiling painted in your house.

Thank you so VERY much for your super generous words, and also for your photography skills and help whenever I ask for help. As some on this forum know, I’m putting together an Educational Exhibit, which will include my unique Registry set for Winter FUN in Orlando this January, and you‘ve been helping me with many of the photos. “Same Day Service” at no extra charge! (hfjacinto has not charged me anything).

Thanks for your friendship!

Steve

• Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding!! What an amazing accomplishment. CAC and Eagle Eye. Congratulations

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice .......Congratulations !

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gonzer said:

Er, that one 9.5 is a leetle low for this great feat and collection of amazing coins..............

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

@erwindoc said:
    @winesteven

For the time being I’ll be working on some upgrades for this set. I’m also working on creating an Educational Exhibit for Winter FUN in Orlando for this January based on my Registry set. I hope to see many of you in Orlando.

Steve

One more reason to go to FUN, please exhibit the whole set!

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@spacehayduke said:

@winesteven said:

@erwindoc said:
    @winesteven

For the time being I’ll be working on some upgrades for this set. I’m also working on creating an Educational Exhibit for Winter FUN in Orlando for this January based on my Registry set. I hope to see many of you in Orlando.

Steve

One more reason to go to FUN, please exhibit the whole set!

Yes, my entire Registry set will be on display, but my Educational Exhibit will be a lot more than just a display of 55 coins. I will be mentioning many “interesting” facts. I believe even some collectors of Indian Head Cents may indeed learn something that they’ll find interesting, and did not know.

My understanding is that attendees can vote for the exhibit they like best. I encourage those of you that attend Winter FUN to see ALL of the Exhibits, and vote for the Exhibit you like best.

Steve

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations - I would never have thought of tackling something like that!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file