Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Battlefield Coin Show Report 9/10/2022

MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 12, 2022 6:15AM in U.S. Coin Forum

The Fall National Battlefield Coin Show™ was held September 8-10 with Thursday being dealer setup and early birds. Everything was selling, with bullion being a little soft. Foreign coins have really picked up over the last 2 years and were selling well. All the dealers I talked with said they had a "very good" to an "EXCEPTIONAL!" show. ANACS was accepting submissions and was the best day Geoff has had.

There were no security issues. The first day there was concern that a PCGS 1921 D Walker in F-12 had been stolen, but it showed up at the end of the show. Our show travels with the same security detail who are great guys.

Foreign Coin Dealer, Jim Hirtle is retiring. He informed me Friday morning this would be his last show. Jim is 87 and still going, but slowing down. Jim's smiling face will be missed.

It isn't easy to impress me with many coins now days. BUT...I was impressed with an NGC Proof 68 Cameo Morgan and 2 PCGS Morgan dollar patterns. One of the patterns was Red Brown and the other was DCAM.

My purchases were miniscule and not worth writing about. Overall, a very successful show.

If you came to the show, please post your experience.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com

Comments

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MICHAELDIXON , It sounds like you work, or are close with the security detail. While we know how the theft at ANA setup took place, does your security detail have any insight as to how the theft at the Winter Long Beach show happened? With that show, one night one of the locked cases on the bourse had the glass top smashed and the contents of jewelry and coins were stolen. I had thought that there was live security personnel throughout the night on the bourse? Were they asleep? Were they involved in the theft? ANY word on how it happened? Other than the initial public report of the theft, it’s been crickets!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MICHAELDIXON... Thanks for the show report. I bet that PR68 CAM Morgan was impressive. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    @MICHAELDIXON , It sounds like you work, or are close with the security detail. While we know how the theft at ANA setup took place, does your security detail have any insight as to how the theft at the Winter Long Beach show happened? With that show, one night one of the locked cases on the bourse had the glass top smashed and the contents of jewelry and coins were stolen. I had thought that there was live security personnel throughout the night on the bourse? Were they asleep? Were they involved in the theft? ANY word on how it happened? Other than the initial public report of the theft, it’s been crickets!

Steve

My security had read about it, mentioned it, but didn't elaborate on it.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MICHAELDIXON said:

@winesteven said:

Steve

My security had read about it, mentioned it, but didn't elaborate on it.

It would be unfortunate if they don't make every effort to learn from the errors made at Long Beach. Rather than reinventing the wheel, and potentially making the same error, why not learn from the mistakes others make, so as to minimize the chances of that particular type of theft happening at their shows?

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad about the upcoming Thanksgiving weekend show. Unfortunately I had to change my plans at the last minute for this one. Last one I attended had a serious security presence.
    Good news on the missing coin. Fine show good venue.

• Options

I was there for 2-3 hrs. Friday.
    The show was very busy and all dealers were helpful and friendly, which is typical for a Michael Dixon show.
    Looking forward to the next one
    Tim

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report @MICHAELDIXON

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file