Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is it fair to say GC functions more as a sellers site than as a true auction house.

2»

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lilolme said:

@ianrussell said:

Of course, we love high value coins (this week we have several coins already bid above $100,000), and many companies would avoid $20-$50 coins if they could just handle higher-valued coins. We built GC for collectors, and collectors need a safe place to buy and sell lower-valued coins just as much as higher valued coins.

I prefer faster/cheaper vs. slower/expensive, but I am bias. :smile:

• Ian

When it came time to sell this is why I did not consider GC.

I spent years doing a set and upgrading. It finally came a time where it was time to move onto something else and sell a good chunk of the set. I knew that GC would process "faster / cheaper" and get the coins into a weekly auction in their respective slot or position spread out throughout the listing and move onto the next one. I wanted something a little more.

For me it was between HA and Legend and I chose Legend. I really appreciated the extra time they spent with the coins and the descriptions they wrote. They even kept my coins together in the auction since it was most of a set (but I kept several favorites). Now I still have the catalog where I can on that rare occasion go back and review it and remember the years I took doing it. Hey, they even gave me a decent rate which I guess qualifies as "cheaper". I am not a big collector and no $100,000 coins that you mentioned.

As far as the results I was quite satisfied but I expect with any of the three I mentioned (GC, HA, Legend) I would have seen similar results if done at the same time frame.

Nice explanation. Was your collection named when it was sold?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file