Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Getting ready for Rosemont ANA- Where should I eat lunch?

liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

From past experience I know the convention center food is not good and very expensive. Any recommendations on a walkable destination nearby?

liefgold

Comments

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2022 4:47PM

This is a no brainer to answer.

Gibson's Steakhouse

Right across the street from the Big House!
    Mmmmmmmmmm
    <3
    Fair Warning:
    A tad pricey. But com' on.
    It's Gibson's.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinosaurus said:
    Skip lunch, you will be way too busy. I just bought a box of Kind bars at the drugstore in case I get hungry during the day.

I’m partial to RXBar but I like that plan

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few Powerbar's and a water or two in the backpack is never a bad idea.

Gibson's and Basil's Kitchen are the close spots open for lunch. Gibson's is a nice place, and not terrible price wise, depending on your menu selection. I haven't tried Basil's.

At the back end of the Crowne Plaza (across the street, probably 5 to 8 minute walk from the convention entrance) is a place called Murray Bros. Caddyshack. Decent sports bar type food, nice atmosphere, not expensive ... ooppss ... I see it doesn't open until 4pm.

There are a couple other places back behind (to the West) of the Convention Parking garage, also a 5 to 8 minute walk.

I think a few of the Hotel's have kitchens. Mine did for a quick bagel egg sandwich in the morning and other items I never tried midday.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's about a mile walk from the Convention Center but my first night in town, I walk to a Subway's, get two full-size cold subs, and bring them back and put them in my hotel room refrigerator. That takes care of lunch for the duration of the show. There's also a convenience store next to the Subway so, on the same trip, I stock up on other goodies.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

Gibson is very close and always good. Another option is the entertainment district which is about a half mile from the convention Center. They have several of restauants to choose from. My favorite restaurant around Rosemont is Gene and Judes Hot Dog Stand. But it's a few miles from the show.

• Options
    jp84jp84 Posts: 186 ✭✭✭

There's a Cheesesteak place, a Cinnabon, a burger joint plus a 7-11 in the Fashion Outlet Mall. Way cheaper than Gibsons. The convention center food is overpriced garbage as you noted.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the ground floor of the Hyatt, to the right as you walk in, there is a snack shop that has wrapped sandwiches, wings, soup, chips, pop, etc. Nothing special but better than convention hall stuff and close.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2022 1:21AM

Delete

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2022 1:21AM

Delete, sorry. Brain freeze.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just be sure all y'all post show reports.... lunches included... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JohnFJohnF Posts: 273 ✭✭✭✭

Gibsons for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They really should just move the show into the Gibsons bar area and save everyone the hassle of walking across the street.

John Feigenbaum
    Whitman Brands: President/CEO (www.greysheet.com; www.whitman.com)
    PNG: Executive Director (www.pngdealers.org)
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I attended the ANA show including in Rosemont I always ate a big breakfast then packed some peaches and some nabisco saltines which allowed me to stay on the floor all day.

Of course when PCGS had their luncheons i made sure I would not miss it as the main attraction was the PCGS luncheon slabs.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oreville said:
    When I attended the ANA show including in Rosemont I always ate a big breakfast then packed some peaches and some nabisco saltines which allowed me to stay on the floor all day.

Great idea. Reminds me of my ski trips when we avoided long lunches to have more time on the slopes.

Of course when PCGS had their luncheons i made sure I would not miss it as the main attraction was the PCGS luncheon slabs.

Of course! Any slabs from anyone this time around?

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wednesday if you sign up ahead of the convention - the Sundman luncheon. $25, but right in the convention center and interesting company. Otherwise I eat a big breakfast and skip lunch.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big breakfast, skip lunch, big dinner.

This is the coin show way.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭

You won’t save any money unless you walk about 25 miles east of the convention center. I also wouldn’t recommend walking very far from the convention center. Heavy traffic and not the most pedestrian friendly area. It sounds like money is an object, so rule out Gibson’s , you have to tip there. Unless your a food snob, eat at the show. The hot dog isn’t that bad. I’ve had worse.

• Options
    edited August 14, 2022 8:02AM

This thread is making me hungry!
    :D
    For me, all the times I visit any coin shows.
    I NEVER stop for a bite. Like a kid in a candy shop. Too excited to eat. Lol
    However, I do get it for you guys that are at these shows for days. For you guys that are actually there for the whole duration.
    From opening to closing, or close to it. I get it. Really though, my main function is to hunt coins, sell coins, buy coins, have conversations, admire the whole aspect of the matter. My taste buds can wait. Believe me, I am a man that enjoys his food intake, believe me. But while at the big show, I'm eating up all the real good stuff,

COINS!

:D
    <3

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pack your lunch in a backpack, save money and spend more time/money hunting coins. You can go out at night for a nice dinner after show hours are over.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keyman64 said:
    Pack your lunch in a backpack, save money and spend more time/money hunting coins. You can go out at night for a nice dinner after show hours are over.

I think this is the best plan for me. Only there for one day, so time will be at a premium.
    Thanks for all the replies!

liefgold
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about a drive in?

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a place about 3 miles south (on River Road) of there called Gene and Jude's. All they serve is hot dogs and there's (almost) always a line. Best cheap food for miles.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DollarAfterDollar said:
    There's a place about 3 miles south (on River Road) of there called Gene and Jude's. All they serve is hot dogs and there's (almost) always a line. Best cheap food for miles.

I was just going to suggest that myself. They serve the old fashion Chicago way, you order a hot dog and get a giant pile of fresh cut fries along side. They throw the whole potatoes in the slicer right in front of you peels and all. I like the peels on my fries. You won’t be able to eat more than two and you probably won’t finish that but one isn’t quite enough.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

I pack an apple and a Clif bar unless going to Fogo de Chão, then it's nothing. Even if I'm not going for a big dinner afterwards, there's a 50% chance of me forgetting to eat during the day.

If you do go to any of the Entertainment District restaurants, they all validate parking in the garage. That's $15 you don't want to forget about if you park there.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnF said:
    Gibsons for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They really should just move the show into the Gibsons bar area and save everyone the hassle of walking across the street.

I suspect a lot of coin business this week actually happens in the Gibson's bar.

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gibson's was excellent as usual. Plus I had the loaded nachos at the convention center and they were quite good! Didn't have anything else there.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can always Uber to Portillos (on Busse Road on the far side of O’Hare).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file