Home Metal Detecting

Under a shady big ole tree

Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

New permission at an old farm near my house. Circa 1810 stone house with many outbuildings and a huge barn. Coins are soaking but looks like 3 IHC one's a 1875 but it's ratty, wheaties, clad, a whistle marked Made in England and a George III colonial copper. More pics to follow. The hunt continues. Have a good holiday weekend all. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those old stone houses are interesting.... Some still have dirt floor cellars which I would LOVE to MD. Nice finds Roy... Cheers, RickO

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the George III half penny before and after mineral oil soak. I can see 177 with the last digit a 3 8 or 9. 28.5mm 8.4g. 5-6" down between roots.
    Great site on coins of colonial America. https://coins.nd.edu/colcoin/colcoincontents/contents12.html

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

Under the same tree, 3 IHC 1897, 1885, 186x. Again 5-6" I'll be back after the heat of the day subsides. Ground is very dry, hard and the roots are everywhere. I've got a sprinkler going to make my job a little easier, I hope. The hunt continues. Peace Roy

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somebody spent some time under that tree :)
    nice pictures of your finds.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Downhill from the tree, dug 2 nice items. The token is out of Philadelphia, located a 1908 advertisement that confirms the Elephant logo and slogan "Phosphor-Bronze". The 1835 CBHD is holed but it looks like a Obv die 3, Rev CC. Enjoy. I'm sure there's more to find. Have a good day and get out there. Peace Roy

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a treasure! How exciting is that?!? Very nice. 👍🏻 👍🏻

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

@Namvet69.... Great finds Roy... What a hot spot you have. Good luck on more finds. Cheers, RickO

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Roy,
    You are a Bust coin magnet. Congrats!!!
    Jim

Back under the tree on a very hot day. Soil was so hard, target signals were strong and crisp but my shovel was inadequate. Went home, got a small pick axe that I previously dug and pressed it into service. Did the trick to reveal 5 IHC at 6-7". 2 1859s, 1863, 1881,1885. I notice that the 1859s dates have noticeable different spacing to the rims. Any info is appreciated. The hunt continues. Hydrate or die. Peace Roy

@Namvet69 .... Wow... I saw your post on the Coin forum about two IHC's.... but FIVE?? Great finds, that is one heck of a site. Cheers, RickO

My mention of using a pick axe, reminded me I actually dug that pick axe while detecting an old stone quarry in NJ. Kinda cool cause it's small and the eye shows a little hand forged flare. I added the handle, of course. Enjoy

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    My mention of using a pick axe, reminded me I actually dug that pick axe while detecting an old stone quarry in NJ. Kinda cool cause it's small and the eye shows a little hand forged flare. I added the handle, of course. Enjoy

Roy,
    Your persistence is paying off. Hopefully an old silver is hiding with the IHC. Good luck.
    Jim

@Namvet69 ... Nice pick.... Looks like a rock collectors tool due to the size. Cheers, RickO

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice finds!