Home Precious Metals

̶$̶2̶0̶ ̶$̶3̶0̶$̶4̶0̶ ̶$̶5̶0̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶ ̶$̶3̶0̶ ̶$̶2̶5 $20 Gutter Metal?

blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 21, 2023 5:04PM in Precious Metals

Looks like it's not out of the question. THKS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

Comments

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

That many strikethroughs and for a second I thought I was on the US coin forum!

It's all about what the people want...

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't know if it will get that low... but probably going to drop some more.

----- kj
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very unlikely that it will get that low. $17.75 would be my guess.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2022 7:36PM

I moved my shop in March of 2020. I wanted to shut it down, but wife insisted I keep working. Sigh.
    During my grand reopening , silver was at $13. I listed silver eagles for $20.20. for walk in customers. Sold fewer than 5 that year. Was buying silver rounds @$17 then ....and giving away the eagles. The year premiums started rising.
    So, from my experience....it seems now, if it went to $10, the general public still won't see value.
    Once Uncle Sam squeezed it out of coinage and pushed paper, while dumping clad (fiat) on us, Americans have been dumbed down. 60 years now. It's working, huh ?
    Strangely, people will pay $80 per ounce , to the mint. And $2600 per oz. of gold.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Circa 2015 when gutter was around $15ozt I was buying eagles by the rolls in the $16-$17ozt range. In August 2019 gutter was around $17 and rolls were still available everywhere for sub $20ozt. It's all relative.

There is no dispute that premiums are at historic highs, but they will evaporate again (just like always). No offense but selling 5 eagles a year at a 55%+ premium doesn't make a lot of business sense. Looking forward to the day of sub $7,500 green boxes. RGDS!

edited July 17, 2022 7:51PM

@blitzdude said:
    Circa 2015 when gutter was around $15ozt I was buying eagles by the rolls in the $16-$17ozt range. In August 2019 gutter was around $17 and rolls were still available everywhere for sub $20ozt. It's all relative.

There is no dispute that premiums are at historic highs, but they will evaporate again (just like always). No offense but selling 5 eagles a year at a 55%+ premium doesn't make a lot of business sense. Looking forward to the day of sub $7,500 green boxes. RGDS!

No offense taken.
    I don't recall ever being able to buy eagles for $1 or $2 over spot, except for an occasional walk in. Not sure where you get a 55%+ premium.
    Silver at 13. I buy it for $5.25 over spot plus shipping. $18.25 per ounce. Ten percent is $1.82+ $18.25.

It was an introductory (2020) offer that few capitalized on during one of the weirdest times in my 67 years on earth. Speaking of gutter: a lot of minds ended up there in the past two years.
    Regards.

Speaking of gutter: a lot of minds ended up there in the past two years.

Regards.

True that.....It's been a terrible last 5 years. Today I couldn't find anything on planet earth not in the green.....well except the gutter metal. lol

You may want to revise your heading to $25.00 B)

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:
    You may want to revise your heading to $25.00 B)

Make it $30 B)B)

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Yup...what ever happened to: Azurescens, after he made that ridiculous prediction?

edited July 30, 2022 7:20AM

@OPA said:

Yup...what ever happened to: Azurescens, after he made that ridiculous prediction?

Kids, dont do drugs.

Silver is such a tiny market, it's amazing why "they" cant push it higher. I mean, they pushed "tokens" to crazy valuations. Why no sustained or increasing demand for silver. We would all like to see it break $50, but almost 2 generations later, it still languishes.

@cohodk said:

Silver is such a tiny market, it's amazing why "they" cant push it higher.

maybe because it is getting "pulled" lower?

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Silver is such a tiny market, it's amazing why "they" cant push it higher.

maybe because it is getting "pulled" lower?

"They" would make a lot more $$$$ pushing it higher than they would pulling it lower. Perhaps too much time at Conspiracy Hedge. THKS!

@blitzdude said:

"They" would make a lot more $$$$ pushing it higher than they would pulling it lower.

And they eventually will. For now they are still stockpiling physical silver and at the same time making massive profits on the ups and downs that they control in the futures market.

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

"They" would make a lot more $$$$ pushing it higher than they would pulling it lower.

And they eventually will. For now they are still stockpiling physical silver and at the same time making massive profits on the ups and downs that they control in the futures market.

Do you actually believe all the b.s. that you've been peddling on this forum regarding so called "manipulations" for the last 10+ years? If you do, it's time for a long vacation.

edited July 30, 2022 4:52PM

I believe Reuters, apparently you do not. LOL

"JPMorgan to pay $920 million for manipulating precious metals, treasury market"

I believe Bloomberg, apparently you do not. LOL

"JPMorgan’s ‘Big Hitters’ of Gold Market Face Trial Over Spoofing"

I even believe CNBC, apparently you do not. LOL

"J.P. Morgan settles lawsuit that accused firm of ‘spoofing’ precious metals markets trades"

And if you can't believe the facts second or third hand, try believing it strait from the horse's mouth.

Yup..Old history. Most of the spoofing occurred more than 10 years ago, with nothing in the last 6 years. It had only minor daily affect on the PM market.

edited July 30, 2022 7:10PM

@OPA said:
    Yup..Old history. Most of the spoofing occurred more than 10 years ago, with nothing in the last 6 years.

wrong,

It had only minor daily affect on the PM market.

and you base this claim on exactly what? LOL
    If I spoof prices lower, then buy, then let the market drive them higher, then sell and follow with a wash, rinse, repeat action DAILY, I can make a lot of profit. The result is a futures prices that hovers where ever I want it to. Even worse, the long term affect is a grossly mis-stated price.

Face it, often times conspiracy theory becomes conspiracy fact.

edited July 30, 2022 7:47PM

As I mentioned before.....old news....indictments are for manipulating prices from 2008 to 2016. It took the Govt 6 years to finally bring the parties to trial. Don't forget, silver & gold hit an all time high during the alleged manipulation time span.. I suppose, we could use some more "manipulation." ;)

edited July 31, 2022 6:54AM

@OPA said:
    I suppose, we could use some more "manipulation." ;)

Better yet, let's just call it what it is - bullion bank profit taking.

JPMorgan dominates gold market with record $1 billion precious metals revenue

Makes that $920 million fine for manipulation look like peanuts. No wonder they keep breaking the law and accepting the penalties. LOL

@OPA said:
    As I mentioned before.....old news....indictments are for manipulating prices from 2008 to 2016.

As you well know JPM has been fined numerous times for manipulating precious metals futures prices. And they are going to suddenly stop? LOL

Perhaps you would have been better off purchasing JPM stock rather than hoarding the very gutter that JPM "manipulates" lower. If you can't beat 'em join 'em they say. RGDS!

I did join 'em and I did beat 'em. LOL

OMG here we go #WINNING! So sad. CNGTS!

JPMorgan’s Gold Secrets Spill Out in Court

"in 2020, JPMorgan made $1 billion in precious metals as the pandemic created unprecedented arbitrage opportunities"

yep, bullion banking is small potatoes. LOL

edited August 8, 2022 5:25PM

$22? Gutter up big on the Inflation Reduction Act. $22 Perhaps? A revisit of June 2022?? Or maybe even August 2013??HLLLJH!!

PS: JPM can't stop us now. LULZ!

So much for a green run to $22, looks like gutter is in a fight to hold $20. Looking like 2040 could be the year. THKS!

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tracking every one dollar move in a volatile market like silver doesn't seem like a real effective strategy to me.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

@jmski52 said:
    Tracking every one dollar move in a volatile market like silver doesn't seem like a real effective strategy to me.

Nore does hoarding a "commodity" that can't even keep up with the phantom inflation. LOL

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nore does hoarding a "commodity" that can't even keep up with the phantom inflation. LOL

Then why are you holding onto physical metal?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

The lower it is , the sooner one ought to dip their toe. That's an entry point. And who knows where the bottom is, likely knows why we are here.

@blitzdude said:

@jmski52 said:

Phantom Inflation. Now there's a real conspiracy theory. LOL

• EstilEstil Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:

Then why are you holding onto physical metal?

Because, just like Pokemon, I Gotta Catch 'Em All! Well, FDR dimes, GW quarters, silver eagles and silver maples anyway...

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

blitzdude

Time to revise your heading to $20.00. AGAIN

@OPA said:
    blitzdude

I was thinking probably more like $15. RGDS!

@blitzdude said:

@OPA said:
    blitzdude

I was thinking probably more like $15. RGDS!

Either one is more realistic than the current one.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

With all of the ridiculous premiums on the bullion lately, I’m just sticking with numismatic. A bit more fun, too.

@asheland said:
    With all of the ridiculous premiums on the bullion lately, I’m just sticking with numismatic. A bit more fun, too.

I miss the days when you could get slabbed Double Eagles, $10 Indians and Libs for spot or under (ebay bux etc.). Even common date still very numismatic imo but purchased for the price of the metal. I'm not buying much now, thought maybe I should continue working on my Morgan and Peace sets but currently overpriced as well.

@blitzdude said:

@asheland said:

I miss the days when you could get slabbed Double Eagles, $10 Indians and Libs for spot or under (ebay bux etc.). Even common date still very numismatic imo but purchased for the price of the metal. I'm not buying much now, thought maybe I should continue working on my Morgan and Peace sets but currently overpriced as well.

Indeed a lot of the popular series, (Morgan, Peace) are kinda high, but I still prefer them to bullion currently.

I do remember, and miss those days where the premiums were lower on the bullion and collector coins.

@asheland said:

@blitzdude said:

@asheland said:

Indeed a lot of the popular series, (Morgan, Peace) are kinda high, but I still prefer them to bullion currently.

I do remember, and miss those days where the premiums were lower on the bullion and collector coins.

They will drift back to normal, funny how things always seem to end up "correcting" themselves.

Very true.

@blitzdude said:

They will drift back to normal, funny how things always seem to end up "correcting" themselves.

Like wages, dollar purchasing power and the national debt? LOL

Paradigm shifts are not temporary.

• Mike59Mike59 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

Thanks for posting. Amazing how much Government can mess-up an agency. If it was a private company we have enough ASE for worldwide demand
    Mike

MIKE B.

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

Wages, dollar, national debt? These things have absolutely nothing to do with the price of gutter metal. 99.9% of the world could care less about the price of gutter or it's premiums. RGDS!

well, you did say "things always end up correcting themselves." LOL

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

Wages, dollar, national debt? These things have absolutely nothing to do with the price of gutter metal. 99.9% of the world could care less about the price of gutter or it's premiums. RGDS!

99.9% ?
    Where did you get that figure ?

China and India have, at present, about 17% of the total world population each. So together they comprise more than 1/3 of the total world population. Do you know what they all think about silver ? Traditionally, India, and especially China, have a general interest in silver.

If your "99.9%" figure was correct, then only 0.1% of the world population cares what the price of silver is.
    That would seem like a terrific contrarian indicator to me. If only 0.1% of the world population bought silver, the price would double.

PS:
    If 99.9% of Americans could "care less" about silver, then why aren't there a lot more of the older silver coins in circulation ?

@dcarr said:
    PS:
    If 99.9% of Americans could "care less" about silver, then why aren't there a lot more of the older silver coins in circulation ?

Because the 300,000 who care have had 58 years to pull them from circulation.

PS....99.9% probably could care less but 99.9% of them couldnt care less.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:
    PS:

Because the 300,000 who care have had 58 years to pull them from circulation.

PS....99.9% probably could care less but 99.9% of them couldnt care less.

What about the (I presume) millions of people who have inherited silver coins and did not put them back into circulation ?
    In other words, once silver coins are taken out of circulation, they tend to stay out of circulation, even when transferred to people who never had any before.

If I didn't know anything about silver, and I was given a bunch of silver coins, I think I would begin to care what the silver price is.

@dcarr said:
    PS:

Ever visit the smelter? I mean you of all people should know this. lol