Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I would have bought this book

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 19, 2022 11:46AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I don't have time to read books, but I would have purchased this one.

The Diaries of John Hull, Mint-Master and Treasurer of the Colony of Massachusetts Bay.. Pages 109-316 of Archæologia Americana. Transactions and Collections of the American Antiquarian Society. Vol. III (Boston, 1857). 8vo, original brown cloth, rebacked by Alan Grace. cxxxviii, 378, (2) pages; 1 lithographic plate depicting Hull's manuscript and Massachusetts silver; 1 tinted lithographic table depicting Hull's and Metcalfe's shorthand. Board edges worn; very good. Very important source material for anyone studying Massachusetts silver. Estimate $200.
Ex: Swann Galleries (5/1957).
Ex: Eric P. Newman Numismatic Education Society.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    I don't have time to read books, but I would have purchased this one.

The Diaries of John Hull, Mint-Master and Treasurer of the Colony of Massachusetts Bay.. Pages 109-316 of Archæologia Americana. Transactions and Collections of the American Antiquarian Society. Vol. III (Boston, 1857). 8vo, original brown cloth, rebacked by Alan Grace. cxxxviii, 378, (2) pages; 1 lithographic plate depicting Hull's manuscript and Massachusetts silver; 1 tinted lithographic table depicting Hull's and Metcalfe's shorthand. Board edges worn; very good. Very important source material for anyone studying Massachusetts silver. Estimate $200.
    Ex: Swann Galleries (5/1957).
    Ex: Eric P. Newman Numismatic Education Society.

What did it sell for?

• Options

I believe $260

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options

@amwldcoin
    Very important source material for anyone studying Massachusetts silver. Estimate $200. Ex: Swann Galleries (5/1957). Ex: Eric P. Newman Numismatic Education Society. Heritage Auctions 11/2018 (Newman XI), lot15889 (realized $264).

• Options

It would make a nice addition to this set :)

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a cool book!

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed, I would have bought it, but my wife would have killed me --

I have thousands of [coin] books already

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if it's been transcribed to a modern edition or, better yet, converted to PDF...

• Options
    wevwev Posts: 148 ✭✭✭

@MidLifeCrisis said:
    I wonder if it's been transcribed to a modern edition or, better yet, converted to PDF...

https://archive.org/stream/diariesofjohnhul00hull/diariesofjohnhul00hull_djvu.txt

• Options

@wev said:

@MidLifeCrisis said:

https://archive.org/stream/diariesofjohnhul00hull/diariesofjohnhul00hull_djvu.txt

Very interesting thanks for the link

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be a great addition to a numismatic library of any collector. Especially mine. ;) Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file