Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How many series can the average collector pursue wisely?

RondorRondor Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

I often think about this question. Aside from the funds required, I personally find it difficult to collect more than a few series maximum. The time it requires to become a series expert is my limiting factor.

I read every book there is but only looking at 1000's of coins of a particular series actually prepares one for acquisitions you will be happy with forever. Just my opinion.

I would like to hear other's thoughts on this subject. OF course, PCGS, NGC and CAC can help in not making giant mistakes but I have seen many CAC coins that are just plain fugly and I would not want to own them so it's a complicated subject.

Comments

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I try for many, succeed at few

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

One does not have to be a series expert to collect coins. Sure, it helps, particularly if selling is a consideration, and if the funds spent are considered 'investment' as opposed to 'disposable'. That being said, studying coins acquired or considered is also part of the enjoyment of the hobby as a whole. Details, varieties, history - all play a part in the hobby of coin collecting. But hobby or business, the extent, direction and involvement are up to the individual. Have fun... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    One does not have to be a series expert to collect coins. Sure, it helps, particularly if selling is a consideration, and if the funds spent are considered 'investment' as opposed to 'disposable'. That being said, studying coins acquired or considered is also part of the enjoyment of the hobby as a whole. Details, varieties, history - all play a part in the hobby of coin collecting. But hobby or business, the extent, direction and involvement are up to the individual. Have fun... Cheers, RickO

It's a collection but wisely acquired ;)

I don't like doing anything I have not studied first but that is just my personality.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just one if you want to go super in-depth.

• Options
    edited July 15, 2022 10:10AM

small cents are a very deep-knowledge market in my opinion so you have a lot of great studying. IHC are a favorite of mine.

Love your '67, @hfjacinto Very sweet coin.

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this question recalls the recent post questioning the difference between a collection and an accumulation of coins.

It also touches upon what the intention of the grouping of coins represents, as either a pursuit for enjoyment itself or for future investment and potential profit.

I enjoy collecting certified silver dollars but I have albums of other series that are ungraded for diversion. Silver dollar collecting can be a full-time pursuit and exhausting (monetarily and mentally, if you let it). So a little diversity in series collecting allows this hobby to be fun, educational and more social.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2022 10:20AM

@anablep said:
    I think this question recalls the recent post questioning the difference between a collection and an accumulation of coins.

It also touches upon what the intention of the grouping of coins represents, as either a pursuit for enjoyment itself or for future investment and potential profit.

I enjoy collecting certified silver dollars but I have albums of other series that are ungraded for diversion. Silver dollar collecting can be a full-time pursuit and exhausting (monetarily and mentally, if you let it). So a little diversity in series collecting allows this hobby to be fun, educational and more social.

Being a Morgan collector, I know how true those words are. I can add, that as a collector, I try to train my eye to find excellent examples of what I can afford.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

It all depends on a persons goals, I have full date and mm sets for many series and even duplicates for some where I made those sets from circulation. You don't have to be an expert to put together a VF set of merc dimes or BU rosies. You need the expertise if you want to deep dive into a series, have a set of extremely high grade coins, or are working with a series that has many known counterfeits.

I think that just about anyone with semi decent grading skills can put together several nice AU/BU 21st and 20th century coin series if they have the desire to.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a nearly complete type set which give me at least one of every type of coin, but as far as series go I guess it depends on how deep you want your knowledge of the series to be, I have a fairly deep knowledge of Large Cents as that has been my main collecting area over the past few years and I have owned/sold/traded/given and bought over 1,200 large cents.
    I only own a few hundred now in my date/major variety set from 1793-1857 but I know that series better than anything else simply because I have spent so much time studying the coins as they pass through my hands, close second is Lincoln Wheat Cents followed by Silver Washington Quarters, then Kennedys, Mercuries, etc.
    Those first 3 series are enough for me, I have a deep and narrow knowledge of those 3 and and a broad but shallow knowledge of everything else.

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2022 11:06AM

If type collector as many as they want. Otherwise one series likely challenging enough (financially).

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2022 11:11AM

All of them if you're @DLHansen or Eliasberg :)

Regarding time and expertise, virtually all well regarded, top collectors have dealers assisting them.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

To answer the OP's question, one would have to be able to fathom the "Average Collectors" disposable income. Once that is determined makes the answer more informative.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grade plays a big roll......right?

• Options
    bg1856bg1856 Posts: 27 ✭✭✭

Just one if you take your time

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since I like most 20th century designs, that is quite a lot of coins to collect! I dont get bored with the hobby this way. If one series gets stale or if I dont find what Im looking for, there are lots of others to work on. You have to consider the budget though. Most collectors cannot afford high MS grades for everything. While lots of my stuff is high mint state, lots of it isnt too! The biggest drawback with too many series is when you come to the more expensive and key coins. What happens if you have spent your money on other sets instead of saving up for the tougher issues?

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2022 7:30AM

@anablep said:

Exactly... I realized pretty early on that I dont have deep pockets so I had to be more directed and disciplined in my approach. So, I think that's why I gravitated towards Type Set collecting. The 7070 album gives me the opportunity to survey the breadth of US coinage whereas I've concentrated on Middle Date Large Cents for an appreciation of the depth of Numismatics they provide...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2022 10:44PM

Edit:
    post removed :due to possible rule violation.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2022 7:08AM

I don’t believe in series collecting. Consider it an obsolete, expensive concept.

I do believe in portfolio management. It could be both coins and currency. I have a balanced inventory Mod US Coins, low pop slabbed world, graded banknotes, some US Classic coins picked up at bid or less. Then inexpensive raw collector coins and banknotes.

I am not a player of the sticker game, have no use for it, and will not pay a premium bc a coin has a sticker lol.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

Ask Louis Eliasberg

• Options

@RickMilauskas said:
    Ask Louis Eliasberg

He was definitely the average collector

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

One, for the average collector, along with another fun series or two in well circulated grades to keep it interesting. Mint sets of a favorite year can add some variety and denominations to a collection, along with expanding a series into a denomination type set - I have done that with half dollars, took 3 years to finish and was a lot of fun.

Reminds me of some lines in a movie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtrQUoRJ_W4

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2022 7:27PM

i find keeping a wide range of coins to collect keeps things interesting and doesn't have to cost a lot

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/xzkzU4iw8kKippX27

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2022 7:33PM

How many series can the average collector pursue wisely?

I imagine in average grades quite a few. A lot of people used to collect circulated coins in Whitman albums.

I read every book there is but only looking at 1000's of coins of a particular series actually prepares one for acquisitions you will be happy with forever

Part of this depends on what you need to be happy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file