Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If You Touch a Coin, It Is No Longer Mint State

CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I'm talking with a boy scout who recently earned his coin collecting merit badge. He shows me a modern quarter in a flip that is at least MS65 and tells me it is no longer "Mint State" because he touched it once by accident. I corrected him several times but he did not seem convinced. Where does this nonsense come from?

Comments

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinosaurus said:
    So I'm talking with a boy scout who recently earned his coin collecting merit badge. He shows me a modern quarter in a flip that is at least MS65 and tells me it is no longer "Mint State" because he touched it once by accident. I corrected him several times but he did not seem convinced. Where does this nonsense come from?

I have no idea. It seems more common with proofs though, never heard it with MS coins.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2022 8:01AM

@FlyingAl said:
    I have no idea. It seems more common with proofs though, never heard it with MS coins.

Proof is not a grade per se. It's a means of manufacture. Even a well worn Proof coin is still a Proof. Of course, after a certain level of wear, it may be impossible to tell that it was a Proof unless it was a Proof only issue such as the 1895 Morgan dollar in which case you'll see PR12 or PR04 coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just for consideration only, evidence is all important, if you are presented with a mint state coin with a fingerprint, would you consider it a mint state coin regardless of grade or holder?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

i prefer to wear clean gloves when around proofs, the other ms should be handled as such jmo

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2022 9:14AM

@PerryHall said:

@FlyingAl said:

Proof is not a grade per se. It's a means of manufacture. Even a well worn Proof coin is still a Proof. Of course, after a certain level of wear, it may be impossible to tell that it was a Proof unless it was a Proof only issue such as the 1895 Morgan dollar in which case you'll see PR12 or PR04 coins.

Yes, of course. I was saying the OP statement of if you touch a proof it’s no longer a proof (which is clearly false) is more common because of this misunderstanding that seems common among new collectors of the manufacture of proofs.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinosaurus said:

i've given an ENORMOUS amount of thought to things i was/wasn't taught as a kid/teen and what stuck with me or wasn't taught/reinforced (reinforcement is vital) over the years (umm decades) and fwiw, it is best to not always focus on the immediate result, that is to say, that they get what you are trying to bestow to them right then and there, about anything really.

just keep teaching and pluggin', knowing some of it will stick, some will come back to them at a later time. the most important thing is to not underestimate how important what you teach may be to someone, even if they don't seem to understand/agree. really it goes with adults as well, sometimes we just need time (people) to absorb and process things. 7 billion people and i can tell you through BITTER experience, not everyone is processing stuff the same way. if you gave 1000 people 10 different goals, you may very well get 10 or more different paths to arrive at the same goals.

at the very least, hopefully it was enjoyable enough for you both/all to be discussing numismatics. it is refreshing to see/hear someone much younger talk about such things and how they perceive and process/use what they have been told/figured out!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

We're talking metal objects, quite hard and resistant to adverse effects and handling. I takes a lot to take a coin from Unc. to AU and below.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BucketHead said:

@Coinosaurus said:
    Where does this nonsense come from?

People like me. In my spare time I enjoy giving boy scouts erroneous numismatic advice.
    Don't worry... not in a weird way.

Cheers.

LOL. I knew there had to be a good reason. Thanks for clarifying.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, if he was eating Cheetos and touched the coin!

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinosaurus said:

I wouldn’t call it “nonsense”. I’d say it’s a matter of not understanding the difference between a coin that’s no longer (technically) uncirculated and one that can still grade “mint state” (insert numerical grade here).

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinosaurus said:

whatever you do, don't send him or his troupe to @Coinscratch official coin roll hunting thread. the amount of coins that go into gem unc status holders and even some top-pops from circ bank rolls would probably be more than that poor little fellar could handle! heck, he may even turn IN his numis merit badge!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinosaurus said:
    Where does this nonsense come from?

Don't know, but it's not new. Here's a page from my Jefferson nickel collection inventory list from when I was a kid. I had originally noted the coin grade as "UNC." and the source as "CIRCULATION". Some idiot adult tried to "help" me, and I changed the source to "BANK".

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as he wears glove while handling AU or uncirculated coins before he eats a candy bar on a hot day, he should be okay.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in the 70’s participants in the ANA Summer Seminar Counterfeit Detection Course did a field trip to the Denver Mint where we got to walk the floor and look at machines that were actually running (some years; other years they were doing end of fiscal year settlement).
    There were hoppers of blanks and struck coins that we could run our hands through. No free samples. The coins were still “Mint State” when we were through!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BucketHeadBucketHead Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

@JWP said:
    As long as he wears glove while handling AU or uncirculated coins before he eats a candy bar on a hot day, he should be okay.

I know it sounds funny but that hits a bit close to home. When I was a kid I loved coins. The problem was that no-one in my family did so there was no supervision and it was not like today where there is a world of free information on the subject. I would pick the occasional buf nickle, merc dime or indian head out of change when I was lucky enough to find one but then in the mid 1970's the Rockaway Mall opened in my home town in NJ and there was a store in it called "The Coinery" in it. Every weekend when I received my allowance I would run there and buy the best coin I could afford that struck my fancy. Boy did I love thinking about all the hands that the coins had passed through and all the history they had seen!

The only problem was that while the guy working behind the counter was really nice he never said anything like "Hey kid. When you get home don't tear this coin out of the holder and clean it with a pencil eraser". Lol. Still worth it!

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinosaurus said:

The kid is obviously on track to becoming a future grader! 😂 🤣

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file