Home Metal Detecting

Keep Current Detector or Upgrade?

ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well this fall my son will be off to college and that will be that for kids in the house. As an empty nester with possible retirement getting closer every day I would like to at one point get back into casual metal detecting. My current unit from years ago is a White 6000 DI Pro Plus which was a highly regarded detector in it's day. It still works finding sprinkler heads etc. although the battery box is a pain in the rear since the 'clips' have broken...I just stuff the top with paper towels then clamp it down, works well enough but hokey.

Anyway I am wondering with all of the technological changes over the last couple of decades are the new detectors superior enough that it would warrant purchasing a new one or is the White with it analog dials etc. still a contender? Possibly a low end digital one might be better than the White, not sure.

Your thoughts are appreciated! Thanks and have a great day!

K

ANA LM

Comments

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElKevvo My first was a Whites XLT in 1990, great but not waterproof, battery pack was funky. Replaced it with a Garrett ATPro, great electronics, waterproof to 10 meters with wtrpf headphones, discrimination is super, $500 without the swag junk, my finds speak for themselves. You can spend more, but why? PM if you you want to discuss. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• I still have my xlt and loved it ,but technology moves on and it just sits in the cupboard now, I charge it up now and then just to keep it working, as Roy says the newer machines are far superior and some are quite easy to use, don't let the tech put you off ,I use minelab equinox 800 I've also had some great finds.

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭✭

A Minelab Vanquish 440 or 540 costs so little, and works so well, that you might as well find out. At the very least, your arm will get less tired with a lighter machine.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the reports I have read, the new generations of MD's are really good. I have not used any myself, so no first hand inputs. Technology moves on, and I have not upgraded in well over a decade. Cheers, RickO

• basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

It depends on if you have about $500 to spend on a fairly decent one. I have a Garett AT PRO and it is fantastic but may be out of someones price range.

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

• jgoetz4jgoetz4 Posts: 36 ✭✭

I still have my White's 5000D MD that I bought for $300 back in 1978. I also have a Bounty Hunter 3300 as well. Unfortunately, arthritis in my right hip has taken a lot of my range of motion, and it's difficult to bend over.
    Jim

I see a couple of recommendations for the Garrett AT Pro in this thread. Although water resistant, the AT Pro only uses a single frequency. Nowadays there are several detectors on the market that are more advanced and use simultaneous multi-frequency. These detectors include the Minelab Equinox, Minelab Vanquish, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Explorer, Minelab CTX 3030, and the XP Deus II. My understanding is that the simultaneous multi-frequency machine made by Garrettt, the Ace Apex, is lacking in performance.

• basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2022 6:29AM

@Bayard1908 said:
    I see a couple of recommendations for the Garrett AT Pro in this thread. Although water resistant, the AT Pro only uses a single frequency. Nowadays there are several detectors on the market that are more advanced and use simultaneous multi-frequency. These detectors include the Minelab Equinox, Minelab Vanquish, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Explorer, Minelab CTX 3030, and the XP Deus II. My understanding is that the simultaneous multi-frequency machine made by Garrettt, the Ace Apex, is lacking in performance.

The AT Pro has adjustable frequencies as well. Nothing simultaneous, though.

https://garrett.com/sport/at-all-terrain/at-pro

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

If I were buying a new detector now, it would be one of the suggested simultaneous multi-frequency units for sure, and Minelab is really a top notch brand. Cheers, RickO

• @tynetraveller2000 said:
    I still have my xlt and loved it ,but technology moves on and it just sits in the cupboard now, I charge it up now and then just to keep it working, as Roy says the newer machines are far superior and some are quite easy to use, don't let the tech put you off ,I use minelab equinox 800 I've also had some great finds.

Obviously it helps if you have decent land available to you.

• I've owned the nokta makro simplex,wasn't my cup of tea but good value for money also fully waterproof, the new nokta makro legend doesn't look too bad either.

@basetsb said:

The AT Pro has adjustable frequencies as well. Nothing simultaneous, though.

The AT Pro is a single frequency machine. Whatever Garrett means by adjustable is probably just a noise cancelling feature that changes the operating frequency by a tiny amount.

There are some selectable multi-frequency machines on the market that are not simultaneous multi-frequency; however, the AT Pro is not one of them. The Nokta Impact is one of them, as are some other Nokta models. The AKA detectors from Russia such as the Signum are also selectable multi-frequency machines as is the original XP Deus.

Thousands of AT Pros have been sold and plenty of people love them; however, the AT Pro is not a detector that I would recommend.

• ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭✭

Minelab Equinox - take the plunge. That is if you are going to use it frequently.

• It actually depends

• ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks everyone...I am going to run down to my local Cabela's store so I can look at a couple in hand and see how they feel etc. and then pick one for my Christmas list (in addition to a chainsaw!) . I'll probably end up in the 500-600 range as I would like to get a pinpointer also. I'll post what I end up getting and why but it might just be a non-technical reason ie: I like how the handle felt or something like that!

Thanks again!

K

ANA LM
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElKevvo A pinpointed is a great idea. I've located small gold pieces of jewelry that were parts of a larger item, as well as silver 3c in clumpy soil. Btw, Fiskars makes a great shorty shovel called a root slayer. Check Kellyco detector prices against Cabelas. Can't wait to see what you get. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

@ElKevvo... You are on the right track... and definitely do not forget the accessories... i.e. pinpointer, shovel, apron and container sack, knee pads.... Cheers, RickO

• ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @ElKevvo... You are on the right track... and definitely do not forget the accessories... i.e. pinpointer, shovel, apron and container sack, knee pads.... Cheers, RickO

And a nice bottle of booze.

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watch a few videos on detectors.
    Narrow down the search.
    I hear the minelab Equinox 800 is a good all-round machine.
    I have a Whites 6000DI and a 5900DI.
    Good coin machines in the day.
    I picked up the 5900DI for $100 because I didn't want to drown the 6000 hunting sand bars and surrounding water only accessable by boat.