Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Yet another normal 2000-P dollar mis-described on eBay as a "Cheerios" coin, this time in a slab.

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 8, 2022 8:58AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I am used to seeing ordinary pocket change Sacagawea dollars listed on the bay as "Cheerios" coins, but this one is slabbed and the seller listed the PCGS Series number, "105," as a Cherrypickers' Guide "FS-105."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284888465061?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l1120&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=48f8532667174aac869f6e1cba669572&bu=43112640167&ut=RU&osub=-1~1&crd=20220708070622&segname=11021

I reported it, but doubt if the bay will care.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that the series number "105" is used to designate Sacagawea dollars, such as this 2002:

So I don't think this is a labeling error.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,545 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you informed PCGS concerning this misattributed coin? They may want to take it off the market.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2022 8:17AM

@PerryHall said:
    Have you informed PCGS concerning this misattributed coin? They may want to take it off the market.

"The series number is a number they have assigned to the general type." It is not misattributed, just a short lived line of info on the label. Sacagawea Dollars of the type are Series 105.

This is not my coin, but as you can see, even 2004 dated Sacagawea Dollars are identified, during this time of labeling, as Series 105. So is the 2002 Sac Dollar previously posted above.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

It's not misattributed by PCGS

• Options

I contacted the seller. They are just cloning a listing and probably don't even know what it means.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

has anyone checked to make sure it isn't a cheerios coin in an unattributed holder?

i blew up the images a bit but too blurry for the time/effort for me.

obviously the odds are QUITE low that it is but i know i've felt like a real crap head when we've gotten things wrong on the forum before.

it looks like an old enough gen holder that they could've been slipping into unattributed holders before they became really well known.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tweaked the header to emphasize that the mis-description is on eBay, not on the slab.

The fact that the seller is familiar enough with FS numbers to generate a false one from the PCGS Series number suggests to me that the seller knows what a real Cheerios dollar is.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:
    I tweaked the header to emphasize that the mis-description is on eBay, not on the slab.

The fact that the seller is familiar enough with FS numbers to generate a false one from the PCGS Series number suggests to me that the seller knows what a real Cheerios dollar is.

You wouldn't say that if you listed on ebay with the phone app. If I had the coin shown, the app asks you to describe the item. If you type in 2000 Sacagawea, it will give you a bunch of "similar listings" to choose from. If you just pick the one with the Cheerios in the title, it fills in the Title and description for you.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@CaptHenway said:

You wouldn't say that if you listed on ebay with the phone app. If I had the coin shown, the app asks you to describe the item. If you type in 2000 Sacagawea, it will give you a bunch of "similar listings" to choose from. If you just pick the one with the Cheerios in the title, it fills in the Title and description for you.

Agreed. I messaged the seller and also reported the listing to eBay.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

You would think anyone that can afford to spend $6K on a coin would know what they're buying and that this is not a Cheerios.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace said:
    You would think anyone that can afford to spend $6K on a coin would know what they're buying and that this is not a Cheerios.

You’d think the same about countless bidders who bid hundreds or thousands of dollars on counterfeit and problem coins on eBay, too. But in a great many instances, you’d be wrong.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭

Cert Verification shows the correct value.

image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

$7. Ouch!

• Options

@CaptHenway said:

after giving it some more thought AND d/l the images, enlarge, sharpen otherwise tweak which wouldn't let me confirm 100% either way, i would say between the title which could be generated automatically potentially by ebay, that could be overlooked BUT they also looked up some pricing somehow to arrive at that number and finally the kicker where i sleep fine after potentially reporting this listing is that a person that has a $6k item (in their mind, supposedly) and a decent smart/camera phone (considering the sellers other listings, they have some money and ability) it is the seller's responsibility to provide accurate enough images.

i am harder on people that have money because i know how cheap/easy it is to get some decent pics and i personally am annoyed at sellers with high-value items, numismatic or not, that have shabby pics or even worse, scans AND then they are cropped down so they can't be enlarged, USUALLY is someone putting for that effort for a reason and usually not a good one(s). harsh or fair, that's my story and i'm stickin' to it!

isn't it logical with high-value items, it is worth putting a little time and effort into selling it, especially online where all a potential buyer has usually is images? even if profit is small, one is still getting a decent chunk of cash. perhaps it is just me?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

as sort of a moral dilemma, which is more fraudulent. the OP listing or this coin raw, listed for much more (obo) listed as UNC but obviously circ but NO designation but with large enough images to enlarge and verify whether it is anything good or not? ( i only did this since this listing was linked from the other)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284866886335

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2022 5:47PM

2 different PCGS #'s for these:

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Listing is still up.... Clearly not a Cheerios dollar.... Hope it gets pulled before someone gets burned. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Listing was removed after reporting.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you ever noticed how many Cheerios dollars have sold on eBay, that aren't Cheerios dollars?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    Have you ever noticed how many Cheerios dollars have sold on eBay, that aren't Cheerios dollars?

Sad but, "Cheer-i-os!" for the sellers!
    Knowledge is King!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace said:

Yea. You would think.

But we all know that it's not necessarily true in all cases.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

I reported this one and several others...

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone else get the ebay message that "you've met your limit for messaging, please wait 24 hours to send another message"?
    Frustrating as I like to pick some of these to message all the sellers that their coins are not speared eagles, cheerios, double ears, doubled dies, etc.
    So much for helping the coin community, 'eh?
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

Send me links @AUandAG when that happens; always willing to help...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file