Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Don't like my negative points for my PO1 1916 SLQ

I recently bought a 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter in PCGS PO1 CAC for my 1st year type set. I had resorted to having a 1917 in my type set, settling for 2nd year. But I saw this and had to have it. A grail of mine, even in PO1. Probably the coin I am most excited to own in my entire collection. Got the coin, added it to my registry set, and it gets me -14 points. Negative!

I understand how the point system works with grade and rarity, but I feel my 1916 SLQ in PO1 CAC is alot cooler than my 1831 VF30 Capped Bust quarter. Yet my 1831 gets me 150 pts and the 1916 SLQ gets -14 pts. Just had to share my opinion, carry on. :smile:

Comments

• WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a little frustrating, some PO1 coins are really cool, could we get some pictures please? :)

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭

Negative points sounds very odd.

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't understand how having the coin is somehow WORSE than not owning it... I guess I should say my set is better than a set of PO01s then, since I don't have any coins!

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think that is bad at all, in fact that's better looking than a lot of my SLQ's that I would consider PO1-F2...
    It's got the gold shield and a CAC too! Something is wrong, that should not be getting negative points.

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

PCGS’ Set Registry folks have been invited to comment here.

• basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

I'm still waiting to come across a dateless 16 in a cull box...

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

@basetsb said:
    I'm still waiting to come across a dateless 16 in a cull box...

Me too!

Progress…
    We may get a response soon. ;)

@Rob9874 - Check messages.

I asked Paulina again today if this issue would receive attention.

• WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

prob common knowledge ... but I dont have it. what's the "tell" to differentiate a dateless 1916 T1 from a 1917 T1 ... I'm sure there must be something in the design.

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    prob common knowledge ... but I dont have it. what's the "tell" to differentiate a dateless 1916 T1 from a 1917 T1 ... I'm sure there must be something in the design.

The head interrupts the border design on a 1916, which the 1917 does not

• WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you Connectcoin. Learned something.

From PCGS:

Upon further review of this inquiry, the -14 is actually correct.

For the calculation of this set, being that it has deductions, goes as follows:

(Grade Po1 - 3 no suffix deduction) x 7weight

-2 x 7 = -14

• VasantiVasanti Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭

How does one see the points that they have for coins in a registry set?

• Looking at the 1916 Quarter, I'm amazed that PCGS graded it a Pr01! If that coin was cracked out of its holder and submitted raw, I would wager it would come back in an Fr2 holder 5 out of 5 times! Now, if you wanted a higher grade that's great, but if you are happy with the Pr01 + CAC then you have the right coin... Congrats!

• TrampTramp Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vasanti said:
    How does one see the points that they have for coins in a registry set?

It should show the points when adding the coin for the first time. To see it again you would need to remove the coin and re-add.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BozoOnBus said:
    Looking at the 1916 Quarter, I'm amazed that PCGS graded it a Pr01! If that coin was cracked out of its holder and submitted raw, I would wager it would come back in an Fr2 holder 5 out of 5 times! Now, if you wanted a higher grade that's great, but if you are happy with the Pr01 + CAC then you have the right coin... Congrats!

Yup. That coin is no PO-01 with that much bordering and edge detail. And I even think the "low ball" PO-01 buyers would pay little to no premium for the PO-01 grade because it's at no brainer FR-02 or better.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 978 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think that the points in registry would have been:
    Grade X weight - deduction
    PO1 X 7 = 7 - 3 deduct total 4.
    A 1916 quarter shouldn't have any deduction.

Still frustrating to have a rare coin that gives nearly no points

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone