Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

W quarter

Landon6Landon6 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭

I found a 2020 w tall grass prairie quarter in my change in good condition so is it worth anything

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you already checked auction results to see what they’ve been selling for?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, much more then 25¢. Depending on the condition. Can you post a picture?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Landon6 So the way this works is you need to post a close up, in focus pic of the obv and rev of a coin. Only then might someone comment. Welcome. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

A circulated Tallgrass will get you between $14 and $16 on eBay - their take

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photo would be very helpful. The W quarter is becoming harder to find, nice you got one in your change!! I found a W Tall Grass Prairie in a roll last night, but the circulation is starting to take it's toll on these, much rougher shape than they were a couple years ago.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great, looking at your change. There is a lot of collectors that have not found their 1st yet. Keep looking they are still out there, just hard to find.. welcome aboard. :)

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

By coincidence, the Tallgrass is the only W quarter I've found in circulation, back when they first came out. I happened to have it here beside me.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be darn, Landon IS back - :#

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it Good or Almost Uncirculated or Uncirculated?

I rarely see a W quarter sell less than $8.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Landon6 said:
    I found a 2020 w tall grass prairie quarter in my change in good condition so is it worth anything

Good condition is a low grade coin. Could be worth a lot of money as a lowball coin.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back Landon! :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Landon6 ... Welcome back. Wow... Found a W quarter in change.... I am still searching change for one of those. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited June 29, 2022 7:25AM

Hi Landon,
    When it comes to rare, silver, collectable coins I bow to the superior knowledge that the forum members bring.

When it comes to W coins, I have a vast knowledge with collecting and selling both circulated and uncirculated W quarters.

In 2022 I have sold 7 circulated W quarters (on e-Bay which I have 139 100% positive feedback) and have one listed now. My average sell price is $14.47. Of those 7, two were circulated Tallgrass Kansas coins, the 1st sold for $14.50 and the 2nd sold for $16.26.

Without seeing your coin, my experience with the circulated coins has been that typically the obverse takes most of the dings and scratches. When found (from rolls) the obverse will usually be in Fine, XF to AU condition. The reverse "typically" holds up very well at close to ~AU condition.

Before I list my coins, I give them a light tapping with a Q-tip to remove surface dirty and oils (no I would not do this with rare/silver/collectable coins) so please don't go there... From there, I may give them a quick dip in Acetone, rinse, tap dry. I take picture of my coins both in and out of the 2x2 that I sell them in.

I have attached a couple of pictures of the Tallgrass coins that I sold this year that I found in rolls. I hope that this helps you.

• Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

Oooh, congrats. B)
    I've been wanting 1 of those privy-Ws, still ... havent found ... what I've been looking for. :/

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Landon6

Your quarter is worth more than a Silver quarter as long as it is not damaged or really scratched or dirty.

Definitely save it. Now you need to find the other 9 W quarters to complete your set! Enjoy the thrill of the hunt.

Congratulations on your find!😎

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    @Landon6

Your quarter is worth more than a Silver quarter as long as it is not damaged or really scratched or dirty.

Definitely save it. Now you need to find the other 9 W quarters to complete your set! Enjoy the thrill of the hunt.

I'm consistently amused at people telling other people the right way to collect. Most people here aren't really interested in collecting anything that can come from circulation today. He's far more likely to be interested in taking the quarter and putting it towards a key piece of his collection, not building a set that he has no particular interest in.

It's the same with people who have inherited a collection. Few of them are interested in improving it. Mostly they want to make sure they don't get ripped off when they "cash it in."

It's just not possible for someone to get rich off their pocket change. I mean finding a $10-20 coin in change is going to make your day, not change your life. This is what the mint doesn't get. For most people finding one of these is going to be an "Oh, cool." moment, not a "What other coins can I collect?" moment. I mean these aren't even close to "chase" coins. No one is going to go through a box of quarters and yell out "Hooray! I just won $15!" I mean collectors go through these boxes, and @joeykoins is the most prominent person here who collects from circulation. He's building rolls of these. It's a "I got another one!" for him, not a "Wow!" People saved the statehood quarters because they wanted the fifty varieties to fill up their map, or they'd spring for the valuable gold-plated quarters. Then they felt betrayed by the mint because it was a continuing game and they would never be able to finish it, and if they tried to find out how valuable all their hard work was, they must have been devastated to learn that it was worth $12.50.

I guess what I'm saying is that not everyone, even not everyone who finds their ways here, is interested in the hobby we know and love, and even those that are aren't all interested in collecting the way you, or I , or anyone else here collects, and that's OK. It's fine to have a collection that doesn't include a set of circulated W quarters, or a single Morgan, or even just ancient coins, or wheaties.

In fact, only the most disciplined of us don't have any "non-core" holdings. There are things that we purchased for whatever reason that we would be far more willing to swap for coins that more meet our interest (or non-coins that do) rather than find a way to make them fit, and we should make people feel welcome here even if they find a 1957 Lincoln in the parking lot and want to sell it for food (or Bitcoin) money, not complete their wheat set.

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    @Landon6

I'm consistently amused at people telling other people the right way to collect. Most people here aren't really interested in collecting anything that can come from circulation today. He's far more likely to be interested in taking the quarter and putting it towards a key piece of his collection, not building a set that he has no particular interest in.

It's the same with people who have inherited a collection. Few of them are interested in improving it. Mostly they want to make sure they don't get ripped off when they "cash it in."

It's just not possible for someone to get rich off their pocket change. I mean finding a $10-20 coin in change is going to make your day, not change your life. This is what the mint doesn't get. For most people finding one of these is going to be an "Oh, cool." moment, not a "What other coins can I collect?" moment. I mean these aren't even close to "chase" coins. No one is going to go through a box of quarters and yell out "Hooray! I just won $15!" I mean collectors go through these boxes, and @joeykoins is the most prominent person here who collects from circulation. He's building rolls of these. It's a "I got another one!" for him, not a "Wow!" People saved the statehood quarters because they wanted the fifty varieties to fill up their map, or they'd spring for the valuable gold-plated quarters. Then they felt betrayed by the mint because it was a continuing game and they would never be able to finish it, and if they tried to find out how valuable all their hard work was, they must have been devastated to learn that it was worth $12.50.

I guess what I'm saying is that not everyone, even not everyone who finds their ways here, is interested in the hobby we know and love, and even those that are aren't all interested in collecting the way you, or I , or anyone else here collects, and that's OK. It's fine to have a collection that doesn't include a set of circulated W quarters, or a single Morgan, or even just ancient coins, or wheaties.

In fact, only the most disciplined of us don't have any "non-core" holdings. There are things that we purchased for whatever reason that we would be far more willing to swap for coins that more meet our interest (or non-coins that do) rather than find a way to make them fit, and we should make people feel welcome here even if they find a 1957 Lincoln in the parking lot and want to sell it for food (or Bitcoin) money, not complete their wheat set.

Wow. That is a really long post. Almost stopped reading it because my eyelids got heavy.😂🤣

Not sure why you singled me out to accuse me of trying to tell Landon how to collect. Personally I don't care if he keeps it, sells it or spends it. That is his choice not yours or mine. He seems like a young numismatist so my comment was meant as a suggestion not a demand.

Comparing the W quarters to the Statehood quarters is apples to oranges. Not the same.

I won't comment about your assumptions about Joey.🙄

Regarding the value of W quarters and if they were life changing to people finding them I will respond to your comment that you have no clue. 🙄

They definitely changed my life for the better 😎.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    @Landon6

I'm consistently amused at people telling other people the right way to collect. Most people here aren't really interested in collecting anything that can come from circulation today.

I don't know the percentage of people here that are or aren't interested in collecting anything that can come from circulation today. But I can tell you one thing.......that sounds like a new thread to me. "Post The Coins You Have Found And Collect From Circulation" 😂 🤩 🤣

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@daltex, "It's just not possible for someone to get rich off their pocket change"

E pluribus unum

• Options
    smuglrsmuglr Posts: 407 ✭✭✭

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    @Landon6

I found this to be responsive to the OP, offering some information on comparative value and encouraging him to continue the hunt, not to be telling him what to do and whether or not it would change his life. I guess what is important is how Landon6 takes it. Congratulations @Landon6 on the find, I'm still hoping to find a couple I haven't found myself. The W quarters got me interested in areas of numismatics I hadn't been before.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file