Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Found a proof walker under my bed

P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 20, 2022 9:21AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Doing a big cleaning today which involved moving my entire platform bed (a heavy piece of furniture)—imagine my surprise when I found this lovely lady laying in an ocean of dust. I’m not sure when or how she escaped, but she’s now snugly back with her sister 1938 and 1941 proofs.

What’s the strangest place you’ve found a piece from your collection?

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

Comments

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow...Under your bed! That's a hell of a find! Love the proof Walkers.

• Options
    GulfRastaGulfRasta Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

Did you happen to sell said coin once to your best friend and is his name Scott?
    Asking for a friend.

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 700 ✭✭✭✭

You put THAT under your bed? That's a beautiful coin.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great find - proof Walkers, especially nice ones, have gone up in price drastically in the last few months.

PR66 1942 Walkers were selling for $550 a few months back, now they go in the $700 range in places (28% increase). There are huge premiums for nice coins (a few hundred dollars).

PR67 1942 Walkers are even more drastic, selling at $730 a few months ago, now they go for $1,055. This is a 45% increase in less than 5 months. Insane!

There are huge premiums for OGH 1942 PR67 Walkers at $1,700 (232% increase) or nicer coins (an outlier was a $1,700 sale in January, which makes no sense at they were selling for $730 then. It's nice, but not that nice). A nicely toned NGC 67+* without CAC went for $1525 in May, which would give you an idea of what nice coins go for.

In summary, CAC coins bring a premium, toned examples and OGH as well, and there are high price jumps in the last five months. Depending on how long this one was under your bed, you did very well! Of course, this is a small market sample and it isn't anywhere near perfect, but it shows you something!

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl thanks for the market analysis. Any thoughts as to the reasons/factors behind the sudden increases? I acquired the coin in my post back in December, and the two others I mentioned in Oct and Feb, respectively. The idea was to assemble a full set of CAC proofs, but now I’m wondering if it’d be more prudent to sell.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    @FlyingAl thanks for the market analysis. Any thoughts as to the reasons/factors behind the sudden increases? I acquired the coin in my post back in December, and the two others I mentioned in Oct and Feb, respectively. The idea was to assemble a full set of CAC proofs, but now I’m wondering if it’d be more prudent to sell.

I honestly have no idea. I’ve always said these coins have been somewhat underpriced by the market, particularly nice coins, so I’d say the coins are at a point where the price corresponds with what I think they should be worth.

I’m keeping my proofs, I want to see where the market goes. I’m still waiting for CAMs to take off, and when they do, it’s going to be wild (I think). I would hold off from buying anything but the very best (good detail, color, contrast) in the market today. I would also try to avoid paying the CAC premium as it’s substantial, but if you’re building a CAC set that probably won’t work well :smile:.

The best advice I could give is to wait for a great coin to come along, one that makes you say “wow” and buy it. This strategy is the best, and it leads to some pretty stunning sets, but it takes a lot of time. If you do this price becomes less of an issue as the coins you will be buying deserve a premium when compared to the other coins out there, and those are the coins where the premiums will keep going up as we’ve seen over the years. Really nice coins in these years just keep going up and up. Best of luck!

@CaptHenway
    I really enjoyed the story. Honestly I’m surprised this doesn’t happen more often. Was this the only case you remember of someone “losing” a coin they sent in?

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,684 ✭✭✭✭✭

And this is why I don't play with my coins in bed. Glad you recovered that beauty. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe I have told this story here before. I have a 1909D $5 gold Indian coin... Not slabbed, but in a 2x2. Bought it at a show in Seattle years ago. In 2008 I moved from Seattle to NYS. After getting in and things organized (after about two months) I had reason to look for that coin. It was not where I thought it should be, and not in any of the other locations it might have migrated to. I looked for that coin for over six months. Finally gave up, figured somehow I had lost it. Then, one day I opened a large box of various containers of ammunition I had stored (still from the move) and bingo!!!! There was the gold Indian, in it's 2x2, looking absolutely lovely. No idea how it could have got into that box. Just glad it did. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AdamLAdamL Posts: 165 ✭✭✭

Earlier this spring I was searching my garage for fishing line. I found a big cardboard box full of fishing stuff. And I did indeed find the line I was looking for. But first I found 2 Franklin Halves and 3 Indian Head cents.

• Options

Your best friend might have left it there. Are you sure it's yours? It is yours.
    I'm attaching parts of my life to your life.

• Options
    AvocetAvocet Posts: 226 ✭✭✭✭

Years ago, my father took me fly fishing for Atlantic Salmon along the Matane River in Quebec, Canada. While hiking to the river along a beaten trail, I noticed a coin embedded in the soil. When I inspected the coin, I discovered it was an 1872 Indian Head Penny! Even though the coin had resided in soil for many years, it was actually in good shape. I was so excited to find the coin that I remember the experience vividly to this day. The good luck of that day included finding the coin and catching some nice fish too! While not part of my collection when I discovered it, this unique coin is part of my collection now.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been looking for a raw $5 Indian that I misplaced years ago.

• Options
    edited June 20, 2022 3:48PM

@Avocet Did you then have to travel to Mt Doom and return the coin to the lava from whence it came? Thus saving Middle Earth.

• Options
    rokkyrokky Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭

@Avocet that’s a nice story and a nice find. A semi-key date too! Would love to know how it got there.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've known a few women I'd like to hide under my bed but Ms Liberty ain't one of them.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    AvocetAvocet Posts: 226 ✭✭✭✭

@rokky said:
    @Avocet that’s a nice story and a nice find. A semi-key date too! Would love to know how it got there.

The mystery is exciting, especially considering that the coin was buried in Canadian soil -- my best estimate is that a fisherman from the U.S. traveled to the same spot many years ago and that a not-so-secure pocket released the coin during a hike to or from the river. Who knows, but a story I will never forget....

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in the 1990s, I bought a 1914 D Lincoln Cent for $88. I submitted it to PCGS, and it came back in a F15 OGH. I have not seen that coin in years. Not worried about it. It's around here somewhere, and will show up one of these days. :)

• Options
    rokkyrokky Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭

@Avocet said:

@rokky said:

The mystery is exciting, especially considering that the coin was buried in Canadian soil -- my best estimate is that a fisherman from the U.S. traveled to the same spot many years ago and that a not-so-secure pocket released the coin during a hike to or from the river. Who knows, but a story I will never forget....

A small excerpt I copied from an article on salmon fishing on the Matane River:

A long time ago, the Matane River only served as a waterway for First Nations people, but in the 19th century, it became a major log driving route, and several dams were built. In 1879, Colonel Irwing founded the Matane Salmon Club, thereby making him a pioneer in the sport of salmon fishing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file