Home U.S. Coin Forum

Best time to end an auction...

lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's been your experience? Does during the week capture a different crowd than the weekend crowds? Has the Pandemic changed that? I went to putting in an awful lot of hours from home... checking ebay listings periodically kept me sane! lol!!

What say you?

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Comments

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on many posts here, the best time would be when bidders are online and able to snipe. Lots of people have said they won't bid if they can't snipe.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

After 18 years of buying and selling on ebay, I have found ending an auction on Sunday nite reaps benefits. As far as buying, I look for auctions ending in the early morning, as snipers may oversleep, just forget or lose interest and prices seem to me to be less substantial at those early hours. Just an opinion.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ditto on the Sunday evening.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I used to frequent ebay, I preferred week night endings, late, because people working would not be awake and sniping was good. Cheers, RickO

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:
    Based on many posts here, the best time would be when bidders are online and able to snipe. Lots of people have said they won't bid if they can't snipe.

There is sniping software that you can set and go.

@jesbroken said:
    After 18 years of buying and selling on ebay, I have found ending an auction on Sunday nite reaps benefits. As far as buying, I look for auctions ending in the early morning, as snipers may oversleep, just forget or lose interest and prices seem to me to be less substantial at those early hours. Just an opinion.
    Jim

Saturdays are okay also. I've started using both.

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2022 5:42AM

The best time to end an auction, of course, is when your shill isn't this highest bidder any more. :D

(Totally kidding!)

When I used to sell on Ebay, I did well ending the items in the evenings on weekdays, or any time on Sunday.

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2022 7:00AM

Here is my take: Been on there for 23 years, and it has changed some

Monday night used to be great, past several years so-so. Wed Night is my best night, followed by sat am, and sat evening.
    Tuesday is pretty good, better than thur. Fri night used to not be good, but over the past few years, i found that fri night works great for junk , common stuff and stuff of lower value for me. Sun night used to be the end all, be all, but I have found that not to be true anymore, I think GC auctions on sun evening suck all the bidding competition away from ebay for the 7-10 eastern time frame, so I have found that 4-6:30pm sunday eastern works better for me if I end on sunday.

Ending on big game times, like superbowl, world series, NCAA tournaments times can be risky! Holidays where people are gone like 4th july, summer months, thanksgiving, christmas etc, same, However, Holdiays where people stay around home, off work and are on computer actually can do well.

I might add. more important that the actual day, is the amount of years and feedback you have. I have built a tremendous amount of followers over the years and thats what makes a difference. Many dealer friends of mine cant figure out why i get such more action that they do consistently. many what me to run thier stuff, but I dont usually do consignments as it messes with up my accounting.

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

Yes, there is. Some posters have said they snipe manually. Those are the people I am talking about.

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

Yes, there is. Some posters have said they snipe manually. Those are the people I am talking about.

Do I need them in the game? I mean, aren't they trying hard to not be the higher buyer?

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

Do I need them in the game? I mean, aren't they trying hard to not be the higher buyer?

A bid is a bid. I don't know if any specific seller wants more or less of them, though.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:
    Best time to end an auction...

Without sniping and folks just watching, I'd say Saturday and Sunday nights.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    After 18 years of buying and selling on ebay, I have found ending an auction on Sunday nite reaps benefits.
    Jim

This has been my experience as well….

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file