Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Authorized Dealer selling Proof coins in Top Pop PCGS MS Holders

commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
edited June 17, 2022 4:10PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Found these on eBay. They are pretty clearly Proof coins and are mislabeled by PCGS. Being a PCGS Authorized Dealer, would PCGS reach out to them to fix their mistake?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144598102592?hash=item21aab7f240:g:jaoAAOSw0gNiP5qg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144567882516?hash=item21a8ead314:g:huoAAOSw-KtilBSF

-Paul

Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com

Comments

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

The dealer should do the right thing. It’s kind of sad that PCGS would need to reach out to them or that the dealer would need to be called out publicly to fix it.

@HeatherBoyd Can you help fix this?

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Authorized dealer? Wow.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

barcode scans and cert page matches slab, fwiw so not an obvious mechanical error.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trying to sell PCGS coins with grades that are obvious mechanical errors and touting/pricing them as rarities, would almost certainly be in violation of an authorized dealer/PCGS agreement.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you call or try contacting them to ask? Seems that would be the place to start.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    Trying to sell PCGS coins with grades that are obvious mechanical errors and touting/pricing them as rarities, would almost certainly be in violation of an authorized dealer/PCGS agreement.

He's also clearly trying to hide the mirrors of the coins, which implies he knows what he's doing. That kind of lighting and angle will be about as good as it gets when you are doing this.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2022 9:29AM

LOL, I had a 42 War nickel awhile back that was a proof in an MS66 or 67 holder. I clearly stated it in the header and body of the listing. I had a guy message me and tell me I need to resubmit it because it was full steps and worth big bucks! I replied it's a proof! A few days later he bought it!

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    LOL, I had a 42 War nickel awhile back that was a proof in a 66 or 67 holder. I clearly stated it in the header and body of the listing. I had a guy message me and tell me I need to resubmit it because it was full steps and worth big bucks! I replied it's a proof! A few days later he bought it!

What was the LOL for?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@amwldcoin said:
    LOL, I had a 42 War nickel awhile back that was a proof in a 66 or 67 holder. I clearly stated it in the header and body of the listing. I had a guy message me and tell me I need to resubmit it because it was full steps and worth big bucks! I replied it's a proof! A few days later he bought it!

What was the LOL for?

Pick, Pick! :# Because the guy bought it after I explained it was a proof...of course it was priced accordingly.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    LOL, I had a 42 War nickel awhile back that was a proof in an MS66 or 67 holder. I clearly stated it in the header and body of the listing. I had a guy message me and tell me I need to resubmit it because it was full steps and worth big bucks! I replied it's a proof! A few days later he bought it!

the amount of times i have to specifically tell people to carefully read the title, short description AND look at all the pictures BEFORE buying is astonishing to me. it can be a bit exhausting considering the wide array of various listing formats/styles, picture quality etc for buyers (i know being one of them) but imo, it is FAR less than getting something we don't want/doesn't work for our needs etc and have to go through the return process (and go through the annoyance of having to go looking again) and have to eat shipping/fees etc. or cause the seller to ,which can be very easily avoided by one taking their time.

i literally have gone to a nearly 100% policy asking a buyer before i ship an item if this is actually the thing they want/need and some reply snarkily that they know what they are doing, most never respond and when i don't ask, too many times i end up wishing i did. a couple people have fessed up they should have been more careful but a lot of good that does AFTER the fact. - mistakes will of course be made (i quickly admit if i made one to buyers if i did) but we as sellers have the most control because an item can't be shipped until WE are satisfied. that said, i'm talking non-numismatic items. as a rule, my numismatic transactions are LIGHT YEARS more simple with fewer problems/returns etc that any other business venture i've been in.

that is pretty funny/ironic the buyer would send messages like that, indicating they either made a mistake or really don't know what they are doing and for whatever reason end up buying the item. this journey of ours, let me tell you what!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Yikes and Ouch. That will upset the population reports.

See above

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭

I did get a reply from the seller:

"We in fact sent in 250 x 1965 through 1969 blazing ms sets that nearly all the 5c and 1c looked pl. We dont second guess the top grading service. I am guessing you would like the 50,000 plus coins we get back per quarter that got documented pl,cam or dmpl to be called in to ask them if they are sure or there assessment? Ill call PCGS right now to see if they made a mistake."

Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Herb_T said:
    Did you call or try contacting them to ask? Seems that would be the place to start.

I contacted them. I suggested they make things right with PCGS and pointed out this forum thread. I'll let you know if they respond.

• Options

@MFeld said:

If it's not in there now, I'm guessing it soon will be.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Herb_T said:

I contacted them. I suggested they make things right with PCGS and pointed out this forum thread. I'll let you know if they respond.

Interestingly, I contacted them on the top listing and they shut it down in minutes. The second one is still active. Anyone want to send them a message on that one?

• Options

@commoncents05 said:

"We in fact sent in 250 x 1965 through 1969 blazing ms sets that nearly all the 5c and 1c looked pl. We dont second guess the top grading service. I am guessing you would like the 50,000 plus coins we get back per quarter that got documented pl,cam or dmpl to be called in to ask them if they are sure or there assessment? Ill call PCGS right now to see if they made a mistake."

@jmlanzaf I got the same reply for the second listing.

Coin Photographer.

• Options

@FlyingAl said:

@commoncents05 said:

Here's the reply I got. Clearly a hot head. I will never do business with them.

• Options

@FlyingAl said:

@commoncents05 said:

Yet the cert number is on the middle of a run of proofs not MS coins.

• Options

@jmlanzaf I just checked again, I got the same response as you too. I think he's a bit outraged his scheme has been discovered.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

I've bought ~45 items from them over the last couple of months. I have not had a problem at this point, but I think I will look elsewhere if they are pulling shit like this. Thanks for the heads up!

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

After paying for variety attribution on a single coin, I still had to use a Sharpie on the outside of the slab that read " Wide AM" because ours truly somehow overlooked it. Let's spread some shame around. The bulk submitter's error in listing is no less shameful than the oversight and mechanical error at the TPG. My opinion.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@FlyingAl said:

@commoncents05 said:

Agree, clearly. Why does PCGS need to look into anything? A dealer should know better with a $1500 perceived value description.

• Options

@fathom said:
    Agree, clearly. Why does PCGS need to look into anything? A dealer should know better with a $1500 perceived value description.

no need for me to get involved but even with thousands of coins, this statement holds very true considering the value of the bulk is most likely nowhere near that much for each coin.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2022 1:36PM

The pinned thread that Heather talked about maybe creating might do well to include things like this.

That dealer should/must know it's mislabeled so his willful ignorance is fraud.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2022 1:39PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@FlyingAl said:

@commoncents05 said:

His response to you is pure BS. He knows what he is doing and is mad that he is receiving bad publicity for it. PCGS should sever all business associations with the corporate entity and the individual(s) associated with it.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@fathom said:

no need for me to get involved but even with thousands of coins, this statement holds very true considering the value of the bulk is most likely nowhere near that much for each coin.

Not only that. It appears this dealer has virtually ALL the top pops. This would stand out even to a bulk submitter.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone notified PCGS yet using the flag feature?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

This discussion has been closed.