Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Alright, which one of you was it?

scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

Noticed this today at the nearby car wash! I just had chuckle, made me think of a few of the forum members here. :D

Comments

• Options
    Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

That is too funny!
    Made me think of someone I know. I also remember going to the car wash early one morning last summer to wash my car and was short one single and the machine wouldn't take a $5 bill.

Pocket Change Inspector

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

What? Me?
    :D
    Even I wouldn't be going here for my gems.
    Why would I? I'm quite successful enough going to my banks. Never ever crossed my mind.
    :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey I’ve found amazing quarters at the car wash dollar-changer.... actually even better the laundry mat - wonder why?

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny!

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2022 4:01AM

I remember pulling into a toll booth, back when you tossed the coins into the basket.

Toll was about 50 cents.

I looked down, and my wife asked me what the heck I was doing.

Then I started passing coins over to her. In the reject basket was a load of coins.

As I remember there was about $3 to $5 in change. Back when gas was under $1 a gallon.

I'll always take free money

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the start of my work week, I used to raid the car wash changers for
    quarters. Worked 3rd shift, no banks open at 9pm.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will add these to my list of things I have never thought of..... Long list....Cheers, RickO

• Options

This car wash is located in Chandler, AZ, so @joeykoins is off the hook. :D

I must admit, the thought of dumping bills in this changer to search quarters had crossed my mind, but I never actually did it. I swear!

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 841 ✭✭✭✭✭

No $2.00 bills? Someone's superstitious!

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shortage of quarters?

Maybe the America the Beautiful Quarters Program (2010 - 2021) was too successful.

That is, maybe both collectors & non-collectors are hoarding their favorite state quarters.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our car wash switched from quarters to brass tokens. Problem solved as nobody wants the tokens until such time as inflation makes a token worth more than a quarter.

Also, it assures future business as you can only use the tokens at the car wash.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

I lived in Paris from 2016 to 2018. It was nearly impossible to acquire coins. The banks would not even consider a request to exchange change currency for coins. So I would go to the local laundromat and feed the coin machine with as many EUR20 notes as it would take to replenish our coin supply.

Of course, I did our laundry while cleaning out the machines.

Tim

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

In England I was on base doing my laundry late in the evening (I just got off work at 11pm). While waiting I took a coat hanger and slid it under the washers. First swipe brought out all sorts of lint and fuzz, followed by dimes and new half pence (they worked like dimes in the machines and were worth a whole lot less, plus they also worked in the vending machines at work, or some one told me). Anyway, seems like no one had ever cleaned out under the machines. I swept up a lot of lint and stuff (fire hazard) and about $12 in dimes and quarters. So, money is hiding out all over the place.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since everyone is telling a tale of youthful cleverness I’ll add one. When I was a teen I discovered that Dominican Republic 25 centavos were made to exact US quarter specifications. They were only worth like 3-5 cents at the time. Since the only thing different was the design they worked in all vending machines and coin slots.

I also knew that old Greek 2 drachmas were the same size as a quarter but they only were usable in coin turners like gumball machines. You may infer the rest…

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

Firstly, this original post is too funny! A riot!!! Secondly, I remember as a youth walking by a phone booth, checking the coin return, (sometimes you could find a dime or quarter), and this time it was full of quarters, dimes, and nickels!!!!! Jackpot for a youngster back in the early 70's!!!!!!!!

• Options

@Onastone said:
    Firstly, this original post is too funny! A riot!!! Secondly, I remember as a youth walking by a phone booth, checking the coin return, (sometimes you could find a dime or quarter), and this time it was full of quarters, dimes, and nickels!!!!! Jackpot for a youngster back in the early 70's!!!!!!!!

Oh! I used to do that all the time when I was a kid, I had forgotten all about that. I remember scoring some serious change more than once.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

My father in law owns 5 car washes near Annapolis, md. I’ll ask him if this is a probelm.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Car Washes are switching out to tokens and card readers.

Eventually they will figure it out.

• Options

Yep, all the car washes closer to me use tokens. I drive 5 minutes further because I like getting quarters instead.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember getting change for bills from the laundromat machine during the silver boom.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I was a fly on the wall to see the owner watching his video feed! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the funniest tale I know was when I was a teenager. Some friends and I used to work in a big office building in the evening on the cleaning crew. One evening a friend came to work with several hundred dollars of half dollars. On our break he fed the changer in the break room until it was empty! Turned out he had discovered it was giving 3 quarters for a half dollar! The next evening when we got to work the security guard was waiting for him. I don't know the legal ramifications or what took place for sure but he got away with it!

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    I think the funniest tale I know was when I was a teenager. Some friends and I used to work in a big office building in the evening on the cleaning crew. One evening a friend came to work with several hundred dollars of half dollars. On our break he fed the changer in the break room until it was empty! Turned out he had discovered it was giving 3 quarters for a half dollar! The next evening when we got to work the security guard was waiting for him. I don't know the legal ramifications or what took place for sure but he got away with it!

What year was this? It's been a long time since I saw a change machine that took half dollars. Around 1960, 61 our washing machine broke down and Dad couldn't afford to replace it so Ma started going to the laundromat. I got dragged along to keep an eye on my younger sister and brother while Ma did the laundry. Wash was a quarter and the dryer was a dime. One change machine gave two dimes and a nickel for a quarter, while the other gave five dimes for a half dollar. Since you couldn't use the nickels (except in the candy machine for a pack of gum or a roll of lifesavers) Ma brought along quarters and halves from my Dad's change box. (He had a bread route.) I got to run the halves through the machine and look at the dimes before Ma put them in the dryer.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:

@amwldcoin said:

What year was this? It's been a long time since I saw a change machine that took half dollars. Around 1960, 61 our washing machine broke down and Dad couldn't afford to replace it so Ma started going to the laundromat. I got dragged along to keep an eye on my younger sister and brother while Ma did the laundry. Wash was a quarter and the dryer was a dime. One change machine gave two dimes and a nickel for a quarter, while the other gave five dimes for a half dollar. Since you couldn't use the nickels (except in the candy machine for a pack of gum or a roll of lifesavers) Ma brought along quarters and halves from my Dad's change box. (He had a bread route.) I got to run the halves through the machine and look at the dimes before Ma put them in the dryer.

Making me think hard! 1975 or 76.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

A friend in Texas said that car washes and laundromats in his area were losing money in the late 80s/early 90s because there was a Mexican 50 peso that was copper nickel, the right diameter and fooled many of the coin acceptors. This was before the revaluation of the Peso so the exchange rate was around 3000 pesos per dollar. So for a buck you had enough to wash everyone's clothes and cars for months. Until you got caught that is.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

@telephoto1 said:
    A friend in Texas said that car washes and laundromats in his area were losing money in the late 80s/early 90s because there was a Mexican 50 peso that was copper nickel, the right diameter and fooled many of the coin acceptors. This was before the revaluation of the Peso so the exchange rate was around 3000 pesos per dollar. So for a buck you had enough to wash everyone's clothes and cars for months. Until you got caught that is.

Polish Zloty's from the eighties worked! >:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file