Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Good thing, because I was worried ....

.... that my $21 PSA graded card purchase wasn't authentic.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363799313788

Comments

• threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

@backbidder said:

Phew!!! Thanks for keeping us in the loop!!!!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not tell Carlos he isn't the real deal. He already doesn't look happy.

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2022 11:32AM

@NGS428 said:

Probably just jealous of his bro! 😁

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

@NGS428 said:

Lee…. He did have a much better career. Understandable.

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

I can't wait to be forced to pay for this waste of a service...

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭

@backbidder said:

Did that go through the authenticity guarantee really ??

@jeffcbay said:
    I can't wait to be forced to pay for this waste of a service...

And it will be expensive. It isn't going to be like $20 either. On a graded $2000 item i think it's going to be $50-$100. I believe PSA sent the item I had sold FEDEX to the buyer.

• bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Ebay is just one of many slowly sucking the life out of our great hobby....ugh.

• backbidderbackbidder Posts: 232 ✭✭✭

@Mickey71 said:

@backbidder said:

Yep

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this something the seller does just to prevent returns?

• RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    Is this something the seller does just to prevent returns?

Maybe they are beta testers for the Vault service, and this is what you get when a card is sold from the vault...

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bobbybakeriv said:
    Ebay is just one of many slowly sucking the life out of our great hobby....ugh.

It would seem so. A derivation of the phrase "follow the money". Except they are following the money trail back to the collectors where the money is, to relieve them of it.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@backbidder said:

@Mickey71 said:

@backbidder said:

Yep

It's nice to have fun with this, but clearly fake or at least questionable PSA holders are common enough on eBay that they don't want to have to deal with questionable returns.

I would think a lot of sellers would be relieved not to have to worry about SNAD. Can't imagine it would be allowed after it has the eBay seal of approval.

• DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:
    It's nice to have fun with this, but clearly fake or at least questionable PSA holders are common enough on eBay that they don't want to have to deal with questionable returns.

I would think a lot of sellers would be relieved not to have to worry about SNAD. Can't imagine it would be allowed after it has the eBay seal of approval.

I totally agree here. I am excited about what eBay has been doing to clean up the shenanigans that have been going on for ages on their platform. I feel bad for the innocent collectors who might have bought PSA Graded (or other TPG) cards only to find out down the road that they are fake slabs.

I'm even more excited about the new eBay Vault launching next month. The idea of the vault works for me as both a Buyer and Seller. I can't wait.

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2022 8:50AM

I’m ok if they check every item sold by that seller. Doesn’t have the best of a rep when it comes to people dumping bad stuff on the market.

• 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2022 8:55AM

@PaulMaul said:

@NGS428 said:

Carlos lost a thumb in a military related accident while serving in the US Marines.

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/former-sox-player-carlos-may-shares-experience-at-trauma-victims-reunion/

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

@backbidder said:

@Mickey71 said:

@bIackbidder said:

Yep

I thought graded cards were valued over $2000 for this service. Was this just some error in the process ??

• ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

So a buyer buys a graded card, seller ships. Buyer now has to wait how long before he actually sees the card? When ebay starts authenticating every card will we see bsckups like PSA?

@ElvisP said:
    So a buyer buys a graded card, seller ships. Buyer now has to wait how long before he actually sees the card? When ebay starts authenticating every card will we see bsckups like PSA?

I've heard it only adds a few extra days to the process. BTW, eBay is not authenticating the graded slabs. PSA is authenticating the graded slabs.

Seller ships to PSA.
    PSA Verifies the slab is legit
    PSA ships to buyer

In the future, if you want to use the eBay Vault, the entire process can be INSTANT.

Seller sells directly from the Seller's eBay Vault
    Buyer Pays and elects to keep it in the Buyer's eBay Vault
    As soon as the Buyer pays, the deal is complete and ownership transfers from Seller Vault to Buyer Vault in seconds.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@backbidder said:

@Mickey71 said:

@backbidder said:

Yep

I was just being silly, myself.

Any steps to fight fraud are good steps though I too concede it is a cost will eventually filter down to the buyers, which stinks.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• johfrjohfr Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

I definitely see a value in this service for higher priced items ($1000+). It can almost act like an escrow service to make sure the buyer gets what they paid for and the seller gets paid. Issue becomes cost of the service. Once you factor Ebay costs, shipping, grading costs, and now this new Ebay cost for this service it would appear everyone makes money on the card except the seller.

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

@DotStore said:
    In the future, if you want to use the eBay Vault, the entire process can be INSTANT.

As soon as the Buyer pays, the deal is complete and ownership transfers from Seller Vault to Buyer Vault in seconds.

Another situation that I hate... when did our hobby get to the point where we no longer enjoy holding the cards in our hands? We want to turn our cards into NFTs? Please make it stop.

• GilRGilR Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:
    I was a bidder on that card.

Fun fact - Carlos May wore number 17 for much of his career, and was born on May 17th.

There was a period of time when he was on the White Sox when they had names on the back of their jerseys. Therefore, the jersey said "May 17", and Carlos May is the only player in MLB history to wear his birthday on the back of his jersey.

Reading this made it suddenly click in my mind that Dwight Gooden's uniform number was his birthday date, though not the month (Nov. 16). It's possible I knew that 30+ years ago when I used to watch him and it was buried somewhere in my brain all these years, though i don't remember knowing it. Anyway, back to the main point of this thread...

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jeffcbay said:

@DotStore said:

Another situation that I hate... when did our hobby get to the point where we no longer enjoy holding the cards in our hands? We want to turn our cards into NFTs? Please make it stop.

Not hobby, but business, and the answer was that people were treating cards as investments and not valuing them as collectibles before I was born.

I don’t think hobby and business/investing are mutually exclusive. You can certainly do a mix of both, and hopefully if your investments pay off the profits will help you grow your personal collection.